VFR airspace rules as code or algorithm

Baxsie

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Baxsie
So I am trying to hammer the VFR airspace clearance rules into my head. My skull is proving quite resistant to the new knowledge.

Taken 2x online ground school classes and watched the videos. Looked at the FAA table, the diagrams and the airspace triangles. All good and accurate information but not getting into my head.

I have done a lot of coding in my life, and I came up with this set of rules, which fits in my head nicely:
  • Over 18K: Not VFR
  • Over 10K: 5-111 (5 SM visibility, 1000 FT above, 1000 FT below, 1 SM lateral)
  • Under 10K: 3-152 (3 SM visibility, 1000 FT above, 500 FT below, 2000 FT lateral)
    • Except: Class B: 3-CLR (3 SM visibility, clear of clouds)
    • Except: Class G daytime: 1-152 (1 SM visibility, 1000 FT above, 500 FT below, 2000 FT lateral)
    • Except: Class G daytime under 1200 feet AGL or SVFR: 1-CLR (1 SM visibility, clear of clouds)
Here they are in an abbreviated format, assuming you are not going over 18K or into Class B:
  • 10K+: 5-111
  • 10K-: 3-152
    • Except: Class G daytime: 1-152
    • Except: Class G 1200- daytime: 1-CLR
For me, that format is very simple to remember and understand.

I think they catch everything, do you see anything these rules leave anything out?

Comments, thoughts, ridicule welcome.

Last edited:
Yep. Watched that vid 3x, printed out the diagram (and a couple others), still could not recall it in the quiz.

Usually I think of myself as a visual learner, but that diagram didn't stick with me.

Whatever works for whoever :)

I just passed my exam. I had to just look and look and look at the diagrams. Took me a while before I got that airspace classes and areas/zones etc. are two aspects.

Helped me when some one mentioned the reason for or idea behind. And that it is all about separation, so her altitudes need to see further, etc.

Made tons of notes, tried to organize it differently from the tables shown (seemed dumb to have a column where every cell was the same...) and just had to keep going back, trying to pretend explain it to an imaginary person, go back and check that I had it right.

Now that the exam is passed..I'm going to have to make doubly sure I go back and recheck that I have it, because it is easy at this stage to forget or not be sure.

Of course, I was most interested in the airspaces and areas I will be using.

Last edited:
Back