Veterans

ronnieh

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ronnie
A big heart felt THANK YOU to everyone who is or has ever worn one of our country's uniforms.:yes:

Thank you! :cheers:

Please remember, Memorial Day is to remember our war dead. Veterans Day is to thank those who have or are serving our country in the armed forces, and coast guard.

Happy Veterans Day! :happydance::wonderwoman::cheers:

Last edited:
A big heart felt THANK YOU to everyone who is or has ever worn one of our country's uniforms.:yes:

As a USN vet, I do thank you for your good wishes. However, I was never in a combat zone, and my Veteran's hat is off to those who served in combat. Thank God for them, each and every one.

-Skip

Thank you! :cheers:

Please remember, Memorial Day is to remember our war dead. Veterans Day is to thank those who have or are serving our country in the armed forces, and coast guard.

Happy Veterans Day! :happydance::wonderwoman::cheers:

:dunno: Are you under the impression the CG is not considered one of the armed forces? :nono: Read a little history from wikipedia:
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. The Coast Guard is a maritime, military, multi-mission service unique among the U.S. military branches for having a maritime law enforcement mission (with jurisdiction in both domestic and international waters) and a federal regulatory agency mission as part of its mission set. It operates under the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime, and can be transferred to the Department of the Navy by the President at any time, or by Congress during time of war.
Created by Congress on 4 August 1790 at the request of Alexander Hamilton as the "Revenue Marine", it is the United States' oldest continuous seagoing service (The United States Navy lists its founding as 1775, for the formation of the Continental Navy. However, that was disbanded in 1785, and the modern U.S. Navy was founded in 1794). As Secretary of the Treasury, Hamilton headed the Revenue Marine, whose original purpose was that of a collector of customs duties in the nation's seaports. By the 1860s the service was known as the United States Revenue Cutter Service and the term Revenue Marine gradually fell into disuse.[5] The Coast Guard was formed from the merger of the Revenue Cutter Service and the United States Life-Saving Service on 28 January 1915. As one of the nation's five armed services, the Coast Guard has been involved in every war from 1790 to Iraq[6] and Afghanistan.[7] As of 2012 the Coast Guard had approximately 42,000 men and women on active duty, 7,900 reservists, 32,000 auxiliarists, and 8,700 full-time civilian employees.[2] In terms of size, the US Coast Guard by itself is the world's 12th largest naval force.[8]
The Coast Guard's legal authority differs from the other four armed services: it operates simultaneously under Title 10 of the United States Code and its other organic authorities, e.g. Titles 6, 14, 19, 33, 46, etc. Because of its legal authority, the Coast Guard can conduct military operations under the Department of Defense or directly for the President in accordance with Title 14 USC 1–3

Last edited:
As a USN vet, I do thank you for your good wishes. However, I was never in a combat zone, and my Veteran's hat is off to those who served in combat. Thank God for them, each and every one.

-Skip

This.

I was an E4 with a cushy job in Germany while my Army brothers were slogging mud in Nam. They get the thanks, not me.

This.

I was an E4 with a cushy job in Germany while my Army brothers were slogging mud in Nam. They get the thanks, not me.

I head a story from the sister of a vet from the Vietnam era. She claimed that her brother volunteered for the Army because if you volunteered, as opposed to being drafted, you could choose your occupation. He chose to be a tanker because he figured he would likely end up in Germany, which he did. Is that the case? that you got to choose your job if you volunteered??

I remember the coast guard in NAM ,they sure are part of the military.

I head a story from the sister of a vet from the Vietnam era. She claimed that her brother volunteered for the Army because if you volunteered, as opposed to being drafted, you could choose your occupation. He chose to be a tanker because he figured he would likely end up in Germany, which he did. Is that the case? that you got to choose your job if you volunteered??

I got about the best Army ride a soldier could ask for.

I enlisted for 3 years so I could choose my school. I picked Pershing missile guidance repair, because it was the MOS of the longest course for equipment not deployed in Nam (Pershing was a tactical nuclear missile).

I spent nearly a year at Redstone Arsenal getting excellent electronics training and then was sent to a depot ordnance repair station in Neu Ulm Germany. Most of my classmates were sent to hot artillery units and did direct support of the missile firing batteries.

With about a year in Germany, my MOS was declared surplus and we were offered early outs if we'd complete our enlistment in a reserve or guard unit. I signed up and got sent home. I served a few months in a guard mech infantry unit in Ellensburg, Wa. and then a few more in a reserve signal company in Alameda, Ca. I'm the only person I know that was guard, reserve and regular army in the space of three years.

The "enlist for 3 years and sign up for a school" was something of a risk. The guarantee was only for the school, not the duty assignment. There was a tense couple of weeks when I got to the ordnance company and found out that they had a surplus of Pershing repairmen and a shortage of cooks...

:dunno: Are you under the impression the CG is not considered one of the armed forces? :nono: Read a little history from wikipedia:
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. The Coast Guard is a maritime, military, multi-mission service unique among the U.S. military branches for having a maritime law enforcement mission (with jurisdiction in both domestic and international waters) and a federal regulatory agency mission as part of its mission set. It operates under the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime, and can be transferred to the Department of the Navy by the President at any time, or by Congress during time of war.
Created by Congress on 4 August 1790 at the request of Alexander Hamilton as the "Revenue Marine", it is the United States' oldest continuous seagoing service (The United States Navy lists its founding as 1775, for the formation of the Continental Navy. However, that was disbanded in 1785, and the modern U.S. Navy was founded in 1794). As Secretary of the Treasury, Hamilton headed the Revenue Marine, whose original purpose was that of a collector of customs duties in the nation's seaports. By the 1860s the service was known as the United States Revenue Cutter Service and the term Revenue Marine gradually fell into disuse.[5] The Coast Guard was formed from the merger of the Revenue Cutter Service and the United States Life-Saving Service on 28 January 1915. As one of the nation's five armed services, the Coast Guard has been involved in every war from 1790 to Iraq[6] and Afghanistan.[7] As of 2012 the Coast Guard had approximately 42,000 men and women on active duty, 7,900 reservists, 32,000 auxiliarists, and 8,700 full-time civilian employees.[2] In terms of size, the US Coast Guard by itself is the world's 12th largest naval force.[8]
The Coast Guard's legal authority differs from the other four armed services: it operates simultaneously under Title 10 of the United States Code and its other organic authorities, e.g. Titles 6, 14, 19, 33, 46, etc. Because of its legal authority, the Coast Guard can conduct military operations under the Department of Defense or directly for the President in accordance with Title 14 USC 1–3

Easy there big boy, I would not have included them if I didn't think they belonged in the thread to recognize and honor veterans. ;)

Easy there big boy, I would not have included them if I didn't think they belonged in the thread to recognize and honor veterans. ;)

It's not a big deal. A lot of people don't even realize the Marine Corps is a department within the Navy...the men's department. :D

It's not a big deal. A lot of people don't even realize the Marine Corps is a department within the Navy...the men's department. :D

Coasties are a little thin skinned. :lol:

Marines are fun to screw with... Just be prepared for a fight. :yes:

Thanks to one and all who served our country honorably, including the Merchant Marine.

Last edited:
Not sure where I stand. It's frustrating when your contribution and your losses were for a venue that you can't talk about to this day.

But I'm okay with that. I'm still alive. Many more glorious and recognized soldiers are dead.

Thanks to all vets, from every branch. Even those that didn't deploy, or deploy to a combat zone. Everyone has a purpose in the military...well, not everyone, but you know what I mean.:lol:

I myself was at Speicher and Taji in Iraq, circa 2011.

I got about the best Army ride a soldier could ask for.

I enlisted for 3 years so I could choose my school. I picked Pershing missile guidance repair, because it was the MOS of the longest course for equipment not deployed in Nam (Pershing was a tactical nuclear missile).

I spent nearly a year at Redstone Arsenal getting excellent electronics training and then was sent to a depot ordnance repair station in Neu Ulm Germany. Most of my classmates were sent to hot artillery units and did direct support of the missile firing batteries.

With about a year in Germany, my MOS was declared surplus and we were offered early outs if we'd complete our enlistment in a reserve or guard unit. I signed up and got sent home. I served a few months in a guard mech infantry unit in Ellensburg, Wa. and then a few more in a reserve signal company in Alameda, Ca. I'm the only person I know that was guard, reserve and regular army in the space of three years.

The "enlist for 3 years and sign up for a school" was something of a risk. The guarantee was only for the school, not the duty assignment. There was a tense couple of weeks when I got to the ordnance company and found out that they had a surplus of Pershing repairmen and a shortage of cooks...

:thumbsup: So I take it tha answer to me question is yes.

<----- combat zone veteran. You're welcome.

Nah, I was never in harms way. I was on a nice big boat with a dry bed and warm food every meal. We were sailing around the Persian Gulf, but mostly I just correlated radars to contacts.

Still, combat zone veteran does apply. Got some sweet tax free pay checks for it too. Could have re-enlisted as well and pocketed 80K tax free. Turned it down to fly. Boy was I dumb...

j/k

I remember the coast guard in NAM ,they sure are part of the military.
Oh the CG gets around. You can imagine my surprise when we arrived in Bahrain back in 2004 with our Patrol Craft (USN) and discovered that we were going to be working FOR the Coast Guard!

Back