Veterans Stay Free on Veterans Day

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
For the second straight year, we will be giving ALL of our rooms away to veterans at our aviation-themed hotel, Amelia's Landing Hotel, in Port Aransas, Texas, on Veteran's Day (which this year falls on Sunday, November 11th, 2012).

That's free. Nada. Zilch. If you served your country, or are currently active duty, you will pay nothing to stay in our hotel on Veteran's Day. You will also enjoy our signature service -- a delivered-to-the-room continental breakfast, as well as free wi-fi, a pool, and a hot tub.

It's just our way of saying "Thanks" to our men and women in the armed forces. Spread the word!

Jay, that is extremely generous of you. Thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on that...

S Joslin
USMC Retired

Thanks, Jay. That's mighty nice and generous of you. If I could, I'd take you up on the offer.

But tell me... do you serve S.O.S.? I've been dying for good S.O.S. lately.

-Rich

Thanks, Jay. That's mighty nice and generous of you. If I could, I'd take you up on the offer.

But tell me... do you serve S.O.S.? I've been dying for good S.O.S. lately.

-Rich

S.O.S. for BREAKFAST? :hairraise:

Uh, nope!

Good on ya, Jay!

Isn't that oxymoronic?

I happen to like S.O.S., but there's some ingredient missing when I try to make it myself from the "official" recipes of the different branches. The USMC version comes closest to what I remember (which is rather odd, since the USCG technically used the Navy cookbook, which the USMC doesn't use).

It might be something our cooks did that wasn't in the recipe, but that I just took for how S.O.S. is supposed to taste (having never had it before then).

-Rich

I'm pretty sure that's the only meal it's served at in the military.

-Rich

Really? My dad (a WWII vet) always had my mom make it for supper. Shows what I know.

Either way, we deliver breakfast at 7 AM, and some people don't pick it up until 11:30 PM, when they wake up. Thus, we're pretty limited on what we can serve. (No dairy products, obviously!)

Very nice gesture.

Maybe you can stock up on MRE's.

But can I bring an iPad?

Cheers

Really? My dad (a WWII vet) always had my mom make it for supper. Shows what I know.

Either way, we deliver breakfast at 7 AM, and some people don't pick it up until 11:30 PM, when they wake up. Thus, we're pretty limited on what we can serve. (No dairy products, obviously!)

There's a story that S.O.S. originally was part of a dinner meal during WWII. It actually began as a gravy that the Army borrowed from the French, which was intended to be served over rice or noodles.

The story goes that the first time S.O.S. was served, it was prepared as a gravy for the evening meal for a Marine unit during WWII. But the Army mess company providing meal service to the USMC unit had a hard time keeping up with the Marines because the mess unit was weighed down with food and cooking equipment. They fell behind the rapidly-advancing Marines, and didn't make it in time to serve the meal.

The next morning, rather than waste the food, they served it over bread as the breakfast meal to the famished Marines -- and it was a hit. It also became popular with mess units throughout the military because it was easy to make, it was well accepted by the troops, and there was little or no waste because the leftovers could be served over bread or toast with breakfast the next morning. Each branch developed its own "official" S.O.S. recipe, and it became as much a symbol of military life as combat boots and bugle calls.

Somewhere along the line, S.O.S. seems to have become strictly a breakfast meal in the military. It's a staple military breakfast, in fact: Ask any veteran about S.O.S. and you'll get either a smile or a grimace, depending on whether they loved or hated it. There seem to be few in-between opinions about S.O.S. It's one of those foods most people either love or hate.

I don't recall S.O.S. being served at any other meal except breakfast or mid-rats (a meal or snack, often consisting of leftovers, provided for watch standers on the mid-watch) when I was in the service. I'm pretty sure the same is true today, but I could be wrong.

-Rich

I happen to like S.O.S., but there's some ingredient missing when I try to make it myself from the "official" recipes of the different branches. The USMC version comes closest to what I remember (which is rather odd, since the USCG technically used the Navy cookbook, which the USMC doesn't use).

It might be something our cooks did that wasn't in the recipe, but that I just took for how S.O.S. is supposed to taste (having never had it before then).

-Rich

I've never had SOS the way I had it in Cape May. Maybe it was the saltpeter they supposedly put on our food.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

SOS is a million times better than what both Armies marched 20+ miles a day on, during various times during the Civil War.

If your supply lines weren't cut (basically what the cavalry spent all their time doing, riding behind enemy lines and ripping up railroad track, burning bridges, and cutting telegraph lines), a chunk of maggot infested hardtack, maybe a tiny piece of salt pork, and some coffee made from boiled sawdust.

Wow, I was just looking at this Port Arkansas on a map. That place looks awesome! Airport on the beach, boat harbor, and a golf course all right next to each other. That's where I need to retire!

Wow, I was just looking at this Port Arkansas on a map. That place looks awesome! Airport on the beach, boat harbor, and a golf course all right next to each other. That's where I need to retire!

Now you're starting to catch on! :D

BTW: it's "Port Aransas" -- no "k".

Sent from my Nexus 7

That Jay has bestowed such generosity in such a patriotic fashion comes as no surprise at all.

SOS is a million times better than what both Armies marched 20+ miles a day on, during various times during the Civil War.

If your supply lines weren't cut (basically what the cavalry spent all their time doing, riding behind enemy lines and ripping up railroad track, burning bridges, and cutting telegraph lines), a chunk of maggot infested hardtack, maybe a tiny piece of salt pork, and some coffee made from boiled sawdust.

Dang you're older than I thought!:rofl:

I wish my plane wasn't down for maintenance or we (Wife & I) would be there. We stayed at Amelia's Landing several months ago and highly recommend it. We are looking forward to going back and enjoying another stay there. B)

So, did a lto of folks take advantage Jay?

I wish I could have. No plane, no money. Or is it no money, no plane?

David

So, did a lto of folks take advantage Jay?

I wish I could have. No plane, no money. Or is it no money, no plane?

David

Sadly, no. Last year, we had a full house of veterans, representing every war going back to WWII. This year, we only served four veterans and their families.

It was really weird, and quite disappointing, especially since we were sold out all weekend -- it's not like no one was here!

I have no idea what changed this year. Post-election blues? Maybe we didn't get the publicity we got last year? Your guess is as good as mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Jay, thanks for the offer! My wife and I were thinking about going out there, but I had to do the Panthers vs Broncos flyby. Maybe next year!

Jay, thanks for the offer! My wife and I were thinking about going out there, but I had to do the Panthers vs Broncos flyby. Maybe next year!

Rough work, but someone has to do it.

---

I was at the Texas game in Austin on Saturday - "Flyby" was promised; it was a 4-ship of privately-owned T38s, 1,000' above the stadium.

Yawn.

Sadly, no. Last year, we had a full house of veterans, representing every war going back to WWII. This year, we only served four veterans and their families.

It was really weird, and quite disappointing, especially since we were sold out all weekend -- it's not like no one was here!

I have no idea what changed this year. Post-election blues? Maybe we didn't get the publicity we got last year? Your guess is as good as mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Either way, it's a very nice gesture.

Military members today are lucky in the amount of support that exists. The guys that came home from Vietnam weren't so lucky.

Rough work, but someone has to do it.

---

I was at the Texas game in Austin on Saturday - "Flyby" was promised; it was a 4-ship of privately-owned T38s, 1,000' above the stadium.

Yawn.
T-38s or T-34s?

Ryan

You're welcome!

Plan ahead for next year. Veteran's Day will fall on a Monday in 2013, which will make possible a 3-day weekend for the price of just 2 nights!
:D

Sent from my Nexus 7

Back