Very sad news

not much one can say about this ...sad thing.

Two U.S. pilots killed in Sask. air show crash

var byString = ""; var sourceString = "CTV.ca News Staff"; if ((sourceString != "") && (byString != "")) { document.write(byString + ", "); } else { document.write(byString); }CTV.ca News Staff

Two planes from the U.S.-based Masters of Disaster aerobatics team collided at an air show in Moose Jaw, Sask., killing both pilots in a fiery crash to the earth.

About 20,000 spectators watched the disaster from the ground on the final day of the annual show.

The pilots were flying small jet bi-planes, replicating a First World War airfight, when their wings clipped. The planes were nicknamed "Samson," and "Waco."

The pilots' names have not been released, pending notification of family.

The team's third plane, "Bulldog," was able to make a safe landing.

The Masters of Disaster is a civilian team of stunt pilots which formed two years ago. The team's press kit calls it "the wildest, craziest, and most controversial act to hit the air shows industry in years."

The team specializes in multi-plane dogfights and aggressive aerial acrobatics.

"In two short years this performance has become the number one most sought after act in the airshow business today," the team's website says.

Fire crews were called to the scene Sunday afternoon, and the rest of the air show was immediately cancelled.

The Canadian military team, the Snowbirds, had been due to perform later in the afternoon to close the Saskatchewan Centennial 2005 Air Show.

The air show issued a statement late Sunday:

"We are deeply saddened by this tragedy," said Clive Tolley, Executive Director, Saskatchewan Centennial Air Show. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the two pilots."

The Transport Safety Board will start its investigation Monday into what caused the accident.

"At approximately 16:20, the Air Show was brought to an unexpected halt after two pilots from Masters Of Disaster were killed in a collision mid-flight. The planes were Samson and Waco. The pilots names will be released once the next of kin have been informed. Bulldog was able to make a safe landing and emergency crews responded immediately. The accident is currently under investigation."

Several of us on the board knew one or both of these pilots. Both were unbelievably great sticks. It is heartbreaking.

gibbons said:
Several of us on the board knew one or both of these pilots. Both were unbelievably great sticks. It is heartbreaking.

Jimmy's son Kyle flew into our farm to finish his private pilot training with Tom. He is a wonderful young man, and I feel so badly for him that he lost his father today in such a tragic way. We got the feeling that Kyle and Jimmy were really close. :(

I had the honor and privilege of flying with Bobby Younkin last fall. He was such a gentleman, an incredible and gentle teacher, a pilot with unbelievable skills, and a guy who was a whole lot of fun as well. He struck me as a man who left his ego behind and who loved flying and sharing his love of flying.

These two gentlemen will be missed by many. :(

Wow - I saw something on the news about a crash at an airshow - didn't know it was the guys from the Masters of Disasters.

That sucks - I believe people expressed concern for them while we were out at the gazeebo at Gastons too.

This is a real shame.

It's a very sad day when we loose pilots of this caliber. The family and close friends will suffer the most. There are a ton of pilots out there that will not benefit from the skill these pilots had.

My prayers go out to the families of these fine men, so sad.

I can't think of what to say, I'm in shock. I heard last night.

Toby said:
I can't think of what to say, I'm in shock. I heard last night.

Yea, me too. Very sad. I saw them last November at NAS Jax. Great performers that are deeply missed.

I think this is the worst disaster since "The French Connection" collided and crashed, killing the husband and wife team. I've seen both these pilots as well as the French Connection and it really pains me that they are gone.

Jimmy Franklin is the performer with the Jet-powered Waco.

You had to imagine how complicated it was to work out how to handle the power levers to pull the power on the radial engine as the power on the jet came up to avoid overspeeding the prop. It was a sight to see. He would gun the jet engine after landing at Oshkosh to levitate the tail.

His son was his wing walker and was announcing when the collision occurred. How incredibly sad.

This is quite a loss to air show fans.

Anthony said:
I think this is the worst disaster since "The French Connection" collided and crashed, killing the husband and wife team. I've seen both these pilots as well as the French Connection and it really pains me that they are gone.

I feel the same. :( It is a sad day for all of us who appreciate the skills these pilots had. I have seem them perform and have pictures of their shows which I will always save.

John J

I just received the following from our EAA chapter president to post in the chapter newsletter. Bobby was a chapter member. I thought it to be exceptionally well insightful and appropriate, and wanted to share it.

"Words are never adequate at a time like this. We have been very blessed to have experienced the thrill of watching Bobby Younkin and Jimmy Franklin do magic things in an airplane that even to us who fly seem impossible. They died yesterday, doing what they most loved. To their families, our thoughts and our prayers. To Bobby and Jimmy a simple “Thank You” for sharing your gifts with us."

Here is a picture I took of "Sampson" on May 14th, 2005, at the Mid-Atlantic Fly In, at LBT, NC.

RIP SAMPSON!!!!!

"The routine opens with the warning that 90% of the act is unchoreographed,..." (AvWeb, August 2, 2004). And there's an interview with one of the pilots who was killed which goes further into their decision not to fly a preplanned routine. I've watched air shows for nearly half a century, and seen all the best teams, but I'd never heard of improvisation in a team demo before this. It cuts against everything I know about formation demonstration flying, and everything you read about teams like the Blues, Thunderbirds, Snowbirds, and even the non-military teams like the Red Barons and Northern Lights. While I have great sympathy for the families, who may not have understood the risks of a show like these folks put on, I have to class this one in the same category as an extremely talented but very undisciplined pilot friend of mine whose widow said after he died in a very foolish crash, "I always knew it would happen, but I didn't think it would happen this soon."

Ron Levy said:
"The routine opens with the warning that 90% of the act is unchoreographed,..." I've watched air shows for nearly half a century, and seen all the best teams, but I'd never heard of improvisation in a team demo before this. It cuts against everything I know about formation demonstration flying, and everything you read about teams like the Blues, Thunderbirds, Snowbirds, and even the non-military teams like the Red Barons and Northern Lights. While I have great sympathy for the families, who may not have understood the risks of a show like these folks put on, I have to class this one in the same category as an extremely talented but very undisciplined pilot friend of mine whose widow said after he died in a very foolish crash, "I always knew it would happen, but I didn't think it would happen this soon."

There is high probability that "unchoreographed" in your mind and the reality of the flight as flown are totally different. As an example, a formation join-up is could be described as "unchoreographed" in that the general process is discussed and rehearsed, as are the various sub-elements, but the actual particulars are chosen in flight via communications between the two pilots, i.e. "Joining up on your right, blah, blah, blah." For all we know the pilots would call sub-elements in the routine as they progressed, each sub-element rehearsed and practiced ad nauseam, but the specific order of those sub-elements within the actual routine left to whim, weather, crowd reaction, etc.

For all the Monday morning quarterbacks know, a right echelon join-up in a left turn was called, but someone went dyslexic and turn right, not left, or joined left, not right. Those mistakes happen in totally choreographed shows, too, and have nothing to do with how the show was organized.

I really wish folks would wait for the NTSB report rather than cast aspersion upon truly highly qualified and accomplished pilots, potentially causing unnecessary and unjust heartache to loved ones and friends, despite placating statements to the contrary.

Ed Guthrie said:
There is high probability that "unchoreographed" in your mind and the reality of the flight as flown are totally different. As an example, a formation join-up is could be described as "unchoreographed" in that the general process is discussed and rehearsed, as are the various sub-elements, but the actual particulars are chosen in flight via communications between the two pilots, i.e. "Joining up on your right, blah, blah, blah."
In formation demos, it doesn't happen with any other team. Every single move from starting the walk-down to pulling out the pens for post-demo autographs is scripted, including every single word said on the radio (well, NEARLY every word -- e.g., at certain points they call actual speeds/altitudes entering and exiting their maneuvers so they other pilots can compare it with what they should have and compensate accordingly for being 10 knots slow or 50 feet high or whatever, but the call is made by the book).

For all we know the pilots would call sub-elements in the routine as they progressed, each sub-element rehearsed and practiced ad nauseam, but the specific order of those sub-elements within the actual routine left to whim, weather, crowd reaction, etc.
Again, no other formation demo team does it that way -- every element, sub-element, etc., is done by a preplanned scripts. Listen to the Blues as the start their takeoff -- the leader reminds the team exactly which of their several demo options they are doing, and from there on, every move is by the script. They even have planned contingencies at every point for one or more planes falling out for mechanical reasons (except the Boss who flies lead -- if he breaks mid-show, the show stops). They most certainly don't change a planned rejoin to diamond to a rejoin to echelon in mid-demo.

For all the Monday morning quarterbacks know, a right echelon join-up in a left turn was called, but someone went dyslexic and turn right, not left, or joined left, not right. Those mistakes happen in totally choreographed shows, too, and have nothing to do with how the show was organized.
It is just for this reason that the other formation teams don't change moves during the show. While there may be an occasional "mistake" in a Snowbirds show, their safety pilot watching from the ground will call it out instantly and if necessary, they will stop and regroup before it gets dangerous. The biggest thing the teams train for is absolute consistency -- everyone does everything exactly the same every time.

Even with our very simple formation flying in the Grumman community, we have a 23-page formation standards manual that each pilot must have committed to memory. We do everything by that book or we brief it to death before the flight. One of the worst sins to be nailed on in the debrief is blowing something from the standards -- even something as simple as 2 failing to call "in" when going to close trail. Other than in an emergency, if we didn't brief it and it isn't in the book, we just don't do it, and we have basic guidance even for emergency situations in the book. In a formation, you cannot have anyone not KNOW exactly what is expected of him, and what to expect from the others -- improvisation is unacceptable.

Now, my perspective is colored by 15 years of military formation flying experience (including a number of over-a-beer discussions over the years with former Air Wing 11 and A-6 community shipmates who became Blue Angels), and my FFI-sponsored civilian formation training and qualification. Ed may have a different perspective based on his formation experience. But given what the involved pilots themselves said publicly about how they ran their performance, I was not surprised by the outcome.

Ed Guthrie said:
I really wish folks would wait for the NTSB report rather than cast aspersion upon truly highly qualified and accomplished pilots, potentially causing unnecessary and unjust heartache to loved ones and friends, despite placating statements to the contrary.
Ed, I totally agree with you. I hope that, out of respect of the pilots and their families, and those of us who knew them, flew with them, had them/their families in our homes that this thread is now over. Y'all, please honor my request.

Back