Very Bad way to Wash a Plane

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
CJ 2 from Denmark crashes in Abseacon Bay when trying to land at Bader Field in Atlantic City NJ. Thank fully only minor injuries Baders longest runway is about 2800' with displaced threshold other runway is about 2500' . I'd think these are to short for a Citaiton, but don't really know.

Witnesses in stadium overlooking field say he came in bounced went up and landed in bay. Pilot says breaks failed. Hmmmm. Me thinks too hot and too short photos and links to story are below.

4491882.jpg

http://www.nbc10.com/news/4491888/detail.html
Jet​

Sigh. I saw this on the national news this morning. I'm sure it will give ammuntition to the mayor for closing Bader even sooner than expected.

This was just a foolish landing decision on their part.

Bader is pretty short - 2950 on the longest runway (and that has a displacement of about 150 feet in one direction). Yeah, you can get a jet in there if you do it RIGHT.

It was supposed to be going to a different airport. Hmm...from Denmark. Sounds like he was lost too...

Gear Up...Check
Flaps Up...Check
Rig for Dive.

I bet you thought I was going to say periscope up.

:<)

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Gear Up...Check
Flaps Up...Check
Rig for Dive.

I bet you thought I was going to say periscope up.

:<)

Len

I think the pilot has been watching too many episodes of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea". Either that or he had a terrible day at the Slot Machines. :)

Greebo said:
It was supposed to be going to a different airport. Hmm...from Denmark. Sounds like he was lost too...

Wonder if he meant to use Atlantic City International? It's just a few miles to the west.

He was in Class C. I can't imagine landing at the wrong airport with the required ATC contact. I mean, I suppose it's possible, but unlikely.

MSmith said:
He was in Class C. I can't imagine landing at the wrong airport with the required ATC contact. I mean, I suppose it's possible, but unlikely.

Wouldn't even be the first time it's happened :hairraise:

Joe Williams said:
Wonder if he meant to use Atlantic City International? It's just a few miles to the west.

Hard to believe he'd get them mixed up. BIG difference. Guess its possible though.

Well ... maybe that IS what happened:

Arlene Salac, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said the flight plan of the plane, owned by pilot Erik Larson, 61, indicated the plane was to land at Atlantic City Airport, which is much larger and equipped to handle jets.

It was not clear whether Larson mistook Bader Field for the Atlantic City Airport.

But, Salac said, unless an emergency arises, the density of the surrounding area and the size of the runway - 2,948 feet long, 100 feet wide - means that Bader Field is not equipped for more than small aircraft.

"Bader Field is closed to jet traffic," Salac said.

MSmith said:

There was a pilot here in Michigan who was flying up to Marquette in the Upper Peninsula. He was flying a light twin and taking a relative from Germany, who only spoke German, on a Michigan site seeing trip. He was cleared for landing by Marquette tower but he, mistakenly, landed at the nearby Air Force Base, a SAC based that has since been closed. They got quite the shock when their plane was surrounded by jeeps and men carrying M16 rifles.

They got of easy, when the Air Force realized this guy just made a huge mistake, they let him take off. I've heard in some cases they've only allowed the airplane to leave by trucking it out. Apparently the Air Force didn't even report the incident to the FAA but two weeks after it happened the pilot called the Detroit FSDO, told them what happened and then asked if he was in trouble. They said "You are now".

Talk about adding insult to injury.

Jeannie

Nav8tor said:
Hard to believe he'd get them mixed up. BIG difference. Guess its possible though.

A few years ago, a 707 was enroute to Oscoda, MI. Landed at Tawas by mistake. Oscoda is a 6-24 with an ILS approach, and VOR on field, Tawas is 8-26 with no onfield navaids. Biggest difference though is Oscoda is an ex-B52 Base with a HUGE runway 11800x300 compared to Tawas 4800x75. :rolleyes:

It happens...

A year or two ago at Sioux City (must have been because the airport SUX :goofy: )

There was the famous case of the 707 that landed at OSU airport instead of Port Columbus... they had to really unload it and get a test pilot to fly it out of there...

Just two that I can think of...

wsuffa said:
It happens...

A year or two ago at Sioux City (must have been because the airport SUX :goofy: )

There was the famous case of the 707 that landed at OSU airport instead of Port Columbus... they had to really unload it and get a test pilot to fly it out of there...

Just two that I can think of...

United DC-8 landed at Troutdale instead of Portland Intl.

It happens a lot ... http://www.thirdamendment.com/wrongway.html
recently, Northwest A319 for Rapid City, SD landed at Ellsworth AFB; in 1979 Western 737 bound for Sheridan, WY landed at Buffalo, WY ... I think I recall that was a minimal fuel 2 crew test pilot takeoff ...

gkainz said:
recently, Northwest A319 for Rapid City, SD landed at Ellsworth AFB; in 1979 Western 737 bound for Sheridan, WY landed at Buffalo, WY ... I think I recall that was a minimal fuel 2 crew test pilot takeoff ...

My two favorite pilot dyslexia airports are Kennewick, WA (S98) and Pasco, WA (PSC). Runways aligned nearly perfectly (2-20, 4008', versus 3-21, 7700'), and a mere 4 nm separating the two. Most days the air carrier flights from Portland (PDX) or Seattle (SEA) are vectored to final from the SW, passing right over S98. You guessed it. Every few years on a severe clear night the air carrier crew opts for the visual RWY 03 PSC and suckers for the RWY lights of S98, putting it down on S98 RWY 2 instead of PSC RWY 3. They inevitably lock the brakes and slide to an abrupt halt just before the sand & sage brush. United Express did it one year while I was in town for a visit. They tried to hide the distinctive red, orange, and blue on white paint scheme by covering "UNITED" with masking tape and butcher paper. Yeah, that'll fool the locals.

Many years ago a Hughes Air West flight mistook Richland (RLD) for PSC under much the same conditions. The crew put a DC-9 down and got it stopped without sliding too far off into the sage brush, then they taxied back and took off again. Upon arrival at Pasco the entire crew swore they only did a low approach--never touched down. Maintenance found sage brush in the landing gear and called the FAA. Interviews with the passengers sealed the crew's fate.

wsuffa said:
It happens......

Oh I know it happens, and it probably happened in this case. But it was in broad daylight and Bader is very distinctive. It's on a coastal barrier island and surrounded by water on three sides. Plus there are a number of tall hotels very close by. Atlantic City International is out in the middle of the NJ pine barrens.:dunno:

Bader Field:

The PIC was from Denmark. He apparently flew to Vermont and then down to Atlantic City. He may have actually thought that AIY was the main airport in Atlantic City. Perhpas he just pulled the first approach charts to AC and said this must be it. Who knows Doh!:dunno:

gkainz said:

About 25 years ago, Tookie Trafton(long-time customer of mine, and nearby resident) was on a private jet which landed at Naval Air Station Brunswick. It was a special flight carrying not only Tookie, but her new quadruplets who had been born in NYC. Special flight? Yup, made possible by her uncle who happened to be the Under-Secretary of the Navy at the time. Nice family; I dev. and printed hundreds of rolls of film during the next many years.
Private jet? The new mother's maiden name was Whitney, as in the Whitney Museum of Art(NY) family; and relative of Joan Whitney Payson, one time owner of the NY Mets.

HR

You guys missed the point, I think. The A/FD says airport closed to jet traffic. End of discussion. OK, you can argue that Danish pilots can't read the A/FD...

RotaryWingBob said:
You guys missed the point, I think. The A/FD says airport closed to jet traffic. End of discussion. OK, you can argue that Danish pilots can't read the A/FD...

But if he thought he was landing at KACY it wouldn't matter what the prohibitions are at Bader because he'd be looking at KACY in the A/FD.

More of my twisted sense of humor.

Anybody see the crew/passenger manifest for this flight? Pilot/aircraft owner is 60+ and the co-pilot is 40+, both male. The aircraft is returning from NH to Atlantic City for a convention. Riding in back are.....you guessed it....two 20 year old women. None of the last names match (somewhat rules out the "daughter and friend" scenario). Forget the aircraft in the bay story--tell me the story of the people in the aircraft.

Ed

Ed Guthrie said:

None of the last names match (somewhat rules out the "daughter and friend" scenario).
Ed

They were the twin daughters of one of the pilots, they were both married (not to the same man). That accounts for the different last names.:goofy:

Ed Guthrie said:
..... Forget the aircraft in the bay story--tell me the story of the people in the aircraft.

heehee

Gary Sortor said:
They were the twin daughters of one of the pilots, they were both married (not to the same man). That accounts for the different last names.:goofy:

Are you telling me this is the real explanation? Or are you just trying to throw cold water on my imagination?:goofy:

Ed Guthrie said:

Anybody see the crew/passenger manifest for this flight? Pilot/aircraft owner is 60+ and the co-pilot is 40+, both male. The aircraft is returning from NH to Atlantic City for a convention. Riding in back are.....you guessed it....two 20 year old women. None of the last names match (somewhat rules out the "daughter and friend" scenario). Forget the aircraft in the bay story--tell me the story of the people in the aircraft.

Ed

Norway, Sweden, Denmark... all noted for blond hair, blue-eyes.

I believe that the local news folks stated that the passengers were all Danish.

Ed Guthrie said:
Forget the aircraft in the bay story--

I agree. It is not really news. Each year, between spring and the end of summer, at least 2 or 3 aircraft end up in the bay when operating at Bader.

Len

A local Philly news station had an "exclusive interview" with the pilot (actually it looked like they cornered him as he was trying to get in his car). He said something to the effect of "we think we had a problem with one of the airplane's systems"....Can the pilot be considered one of the aircraft's systems :rolleyes:

What's the difference between a Citation and the plane pictured below?

Len

Len Lanetti said:
What's the difference between a Citation and the plane pictured below?

Len

1. The pictured plane floats.
2. With respect to the particular Citation, the pictured plane may fly again.

reassuring to note they do pretty well in water, one ditched off the NW coast about a year ago and the pilot, pax were rescued. A runaway trim iirc?

Nav8tor said:
A local Philly news station had an "exclusive interview" with the pilot (actually it looked like they cornered him as he was trying to get in his car). He said something to the effect of "we think we had a problem with one of the airplane's systems"....Can the pilot be considered one of the aircraft's systems :rolleyes:

Haven't you ever heard of the "loose nut attached to yoke"? :D

JIm G

RotaryWingBob said:

I checked the online services (AIRNAV, Aeroplanner, and AOPA). Of them, AOPA DOES NOT note the airport is closed to jet aircraft. In the 2004 Airport directory, it does not list it either. Areoplanner goes so far as to say the airport is closed to cat B, C, D, and E Aircraft indefinitely.

Could one argue the resource they used did not note the restriction? If so, how many different sources are we required to check?

silver-eagle said:
I checked the online services (AIRNAV, Aeroplanner, and AOPA). Of them, AOPA DOES NOT note the airport is closed to jet aircraft. In the 2004 Airport directory, it does not list it either. Areoplanner goes so far as to say the airport is closed to cat B, C, D, and E Aircraft indefinitely.

Could one argue the resource they used did not note the restriction? If so, how many different sources are we required to check?

Only official sources count, which really boils down to the AF/D. Talking about use of unofficial sources won't get the pilot far in his "discussions" with the FAA.

A good lesson to us all about how much we can/should rely on the unofficial resources.

Jeff

Here are some t-o specs from the CJ, for general information purposes only.

The CJ2 (if that's even what it was, will have different specs entirely)

Let'sgoflying! said:
Here are some t-o specs from the CJ, for general information purposes only.

The CJ2 (if that's even what it was, will have different specs entirely)

It wasn't a CJ2. It was a Charlie Cessna Citation C25A. The news said that's what it was, so that must be what it was.

Back