Very Awesome Weather site

OK, TonLoc, I am not easily impressed, but this is a fine all-in-one-glance WX picture.

Thanks for sharing!

well the circles are for METARs and the things with a clock in them are TAFs. few, bkn, overcast and clear symbols are pretty standard on the METARs. turbulence symbols are standard.

and the things with a clock in them are TAFs.
Duh. That's embarrassing. I kept looking at them wondering why there was a "check mark" on them. All I could see in the "broken" icon was a green ball with a glossy spot. And I haven't even had anything to drink. Perhaps I should. :yes:

drink up chip, ill see you in a week. first rounds on me

my computer can't handle that site (the tubes get too hot), but it looks pretty cool. I'll try it elsewhere. thanks

Didn't like it, everytime I moved my mouse another screen would pop up.

theres a control panel where you can turn that stuff off Ed, jeesh...

It uses a lot of memory and is very slow on my machine. Any ideas?

well if you want to elimate the pop ups completely you can just go to any other weather site and look at the radar. the control panel will allow you to select what info is displayed (metars, tafs, tfrs, airmets, sigmets, etc.) if the popup is covering what you want to see, click on the map and move the map so it doesnt.

i know, i know, you want pastcasts. at least it has pireps

ive got modest machines at work and home and it ran fine, dont know what your problem is

Ed's just being curmudgeonly, which is his job.

If there are problems, that must be my fault since I did all the programming.

Yes, it's a memory pig, but 2G should be fine... 1G should be fine, actually. Firefox and IE seem to work really well, but Safari on a Mac has problems (good news is that the version coming with Tiger is much, much better).

I test using W2k and Vista (and Mac)-- IE under Win98 or older, well, I can't even test those.

So, for those having performance problems, I'd love to know what you're running. Also, if you restrict distance to 50 or 100 miles the browser won't try to pull in so much information -- that might make it more agile.

Regarding a legend, try "Help" button -- and follow link to "What the Icons mean".

As for all the "pop-up windows..." I'm guessing you have a relatively small screen. I've been working to shrink the size of the popups & have the site work better on smaller screens: lots of data to show & screen real estate is an issue.

In any case, let me know what doesn't work for you -- my (rental) plane is down so I have some time for fixes!

-Peter Buckner
maps.avnwx.com

Hey, Peter- welcome to POA.

Your app is a hum-dinger, and if it has a few gotchas to work out, that's OK.

Safari on a Mac has problems (good news is that the version coming with Tiger is much, much better).

Safari on my MacBook Pro didn't seem to have too many problems, just the Google Maps portion was a bit on the slow side. (Zooming and such.) This was with the default 100nm range set.

Point of clarification: "Tiger" is 10.4, out now. 10.5, coming in a couple months, is "Leopard." And no, I usually can't keep 'em straight either. :no:

Very nice site, and welcome aboard! :yes:

Great job Peter! Why don't you come to Gaston's and tell me how the hell you did that.

Cool, and everything pops up quickly. Tx for the link.

Welcome, Peter!

I love the site. Thanks for your work.

Welcome Peter. I really like the site. Just Curious how did you find us at POA?

Gaston? Northern Arkansas? Not such a bad idea: I'm from Kansas City originally, and floated & fished most of the rivers in southern Missouri -- actually will be tossing some flies down there in a couple of weeks. Nothing like the Ozarks in California <sigh>.

In answer to the question "how'd I discovered PoA website", it's pretty easy: I monitor some statistics on my website -- not individual hits, but when I get a large jump of hits which originate from a particular website I trace it back to the source -- I figure if lots of pilots are coming to my website from Pilots of America, it's gotta be a pretty active site & worth joining.

Again, thanks for the good words on the site: tell your friedns & please let me know if something on avnwx.com doesn't look right -- I constantly check Northern California because that's where I fly, but your eyes can help on other parts of the country.

Will do Peter. I am sure most of us have already passed the site on to others. I'm sure you will like POA. We kind of think of ourselves as the "Back Porch" of aviation. Unlike many other Aviation boards many of our members try to meet others on the board and we have turned may virtual friendships into real ones.

I look forward to using your site.

I'm sure you will like POA. We kind of think of ourselves as the "Back Porch" of aviation...

I thought we were the front porch. How am I supposed to know where to sit if you keep changing the rules?

I kinda like this but my area is too congested. Any way to zoom in. I can't put my mouse where I want it without crossing another facility and getting a pop up box. Then, I can't see anything but the pop up. If I could zoom in closer, I could have more room between facilities.

Neat site if that's possible.

Best,

Dave

I kinda like this but my area is too congested. Any way to zoom in. I can't put my mouse where I want it without crossing another facility and getting a pop up box. Then, I can't see anything but the pop up. If I could zoom in closer, I could have more room between facilities.

Neat site if that's possible.

Best,

Dave

I see how to change the scale now; had to click GO after changing. Much better now that I can zoom in. I'll be using this.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

When the map first comes up...

Above the map on the left, put "ADS" "25 miles" and whatever time frame you want.

To disable the box opening when you move the mouse to a hot area, just left click on one of the hot areas. This will leave whichever box is open open all the time. (It looks like you need to move your cursor over a hot spot so the box is open when you click. I can't make it work just clicking anywhere on the map.)
You can zoom in and out using the + and - controls at the top left of the map, to the left of the information box.

Now you can put your cursor on the map, left click and hold, and drag the map around to get the reporting station you're interested in where you can click on it.

Peter can obviously correct any of this, but I'm up early and don't have anything to do this morning, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'll ditch the ads when my plane is paid off <grin>. But I have been looking into moving the pop-up box somewhere else & further increase the "usable" area.

You can also move the map using keyboard: +/- keys will zoom in and out. Arrow keys will move the map as expected. Page Up and Page Down work also.

I think I'll also move the scale (25 miles, etc.) into the control box and have it work without needing the "Go!" button, so when you can't find the scale, you'll know I've gotten that working.

You've given me an idea about temporarily disabling all pop-ups, to make moving easier -- I'll test something out and let you know.

Thanks for the comments.

The web master sent me this which was helpful.

Best,

Dave

Yea, I forget to GO too, so I think I'll get rid of it.

For zooming, you can also using the +/- keys (in addition to the +/- symbols in upper left of window.

The subtle difference between "25 miles" and map zooming is, "25 miles" means your browser has collected weather only within 25 miles of DFW. You can set "100 miles" -- and your browser will collect 100 miles of data (and zoom out so all is visible at one time), and then you can zoom in using the +/- keys or buttons, so you're looking at only a portion of the collected data.

Peter thanks for the site. I think it's great. Lots of information available quickly.

Back