Vertigo ...

U

Unregistered

I experienced vertigo yesterday, when sneezing. Episode lasted ~30 secs.
Everything returned to "normal."

Went immediately to my PCP, wondering if my "cold & cough" was perhaps a bit more
serious. The diagnosis:

- Left ear: Serious infection No pain. No feeling of congestion. No loss of hearing.

- Right ear: Mild infection. No pain. Feels somewhat congested (like the usual head cold). Hearing is reduced (as I would expect).

- Bronchitis

Now doing:

Z-Pack
Sudafed
Inhaler

Is this a simple reportable visit during my next medical? Or; do I need to be doing
something else, now?

I also assume that I now need to put an X in the (have you ever had) "Vertigo" box.

Need to see an ENT...unless the doc is quite forceful in his assessment that this is viral. Followup time is about three weeks for this.

Just the usual, "No increased risk of sudden incapacitation" ?
If it turns out to be viral (and you can only tell by ZERO recurrence or change in ~3 weeks) all the doc need write is "viral vestibular episode".

If it does't, you need the ENT.
I know, it can't be true if it costs money. I get that line of logic. :nonod:

Sorry to siderail here, but this put me in mind of a friend of mine back in grad school, a composer, who had meniere's disease. It was very strange the way she described it to me. She would have several hours or even days of dizziness--except when riding the T (Boston subway). She never felt sick, but she had to be careful of very simple things like being sure to turn her head slowly to the left or right, etc.

Just wondering if that would be disqualifying, should she ever want to get certificated. (I'm QUITE sure she never will, by the way!)

Sorry to siderail here, but this put me in mind of a friend of mine back in grad school, a composer, who had meniere's disease. It was very strange the way she described it to me. She would have several hours or even days of dizziness--except when riding the T (Boston subway). She never felt sick, but she had to be careful of very simple things like being sure to turn her head slowly to the left or right, etc.

Just wondering if that would be disqualifying, should she ever want to get certificated. (I'm QUITE sure she never will, by the way!)
Can't say. She would need an autiogram, an ENG, and a good history by an ENT.

I had some vertigo events about a year a go and did the Epley maneuvers and they cured me but the symptons came back one week after. I found out that the cause of the vertigo was the positioning of my head during sleep. Before I was sleeping on my left side down most of the night. I started sleeping on my right side down with occasional switch to my left side. It cured my vertigo completely the first night. It is worth the try and cost nothing.

José

I knew a pilot who used to get 5-10 seconds of very mild vertigo after clearing his ears - using valsalva - said it was the 'spins.'

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back