Vertex VXA-710 Tango Uniform

Silvaire

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Silvaire
My little handheld Vertex stopped working, won't turn on. It will work when the charger is plugged in but not on the battery. I bought a new battery but no help.

So I'm looking for someplace that can fix it. Any ideas or advise out there?

EDIT: can't change title but it's a VXA-710

The battery pack mount is somewhat flimsy, have you tried making sure the contacts are clean and springy enough to make good contract? I don't have mine handy to look at right now but I'd try looking at that. Are you using the rechargable packs or AA packs?

I'm using the rechargeable battery. Contacts look good, two spring-like gold buttons. Unit indicates "Now Charging" when charger is plugged in and will turn on and operate normally. When charger is unplugged it does nothing. I figured it was the battery so bought a new one. I suppose it's possible I got a bad new one but heck, things like that never happen to me. ;-)

I have both a rechargeable and a AA pack. It's possible that the charging unit in the radio is bad and the battery won't hold a charge. Putting the AA pack on or feeding a few volts in through the battery contacts will tell that.

Your first post reminded me of the dry cell pack so I dug it out and with two new double A's still nothing. A voltmeter shows that both of my rechargeable packs have 8.4 volts. Also the LED on the radio flashes indicating battery is fully charged. I left a message with both Yaseu and Vertex Standard. If I can get it fixed at least I'll have a spare battery.

My guess is that it's still something simple like the connection between the circuit board inside and the battery contacts. I had batteries leak in my AA pack and when I asked at Oshkosh in their booth how I could buy another one, they just handed me one. Hopefully their repair service is as friendly.

My guess is that it's still something simple like the connection between the circuit board inside and the battery contacts. I had batteries leak in my AA pack and when I asked at Oshkosh in their booth how I could buy another one, they just handed me one. Hopefully their repair service is as friendly.

Don'tcha love it when stuff like that happens? I bet you were grinnin' like a half drunk hillbilly. :D

batteries leaked into mine as well making a big mess but it wasn't on the radio at the time, just stored as a backup and I found that dropping it in my ultrasonic cleaner with some warm water completely cleaned it up.

Back