Verbal Warnings from 530W/430W terrain?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
In the 310 we have a 530W/430W setup with a GMA340 audio panel.

The terrain is a feature I like quite a bit. A few discussions have got me thinking about the value of verbal warnings, and wondering if it has the capability to give me a verbal "Terrain Terrain" warning, or just have the pop-up warning on the screen.

Anybody know? Is this a menu option somewhere, perhaps on the setup pages?

I'd like to know for the terrain as well, have it on the TIS and like it

Yeah, the Chieftain I flew on 135 had "Traffic" verbal warning on TIS. Plus the often heard "Traffic not available." :)

I like verbal warnings. I thought I'd flown a 430W/530W plane that did it for terrain, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

Does anyone have a problem with it yelling "sink rate"? I was flying a normal traffic pattern the other day, and it started saying it once I turned base but stopped on final.

I know I have heard "Terrain Terrain Pull Up PULL UP" in my headset, but I can't remember if it is from the 396 or the 430.

Does anyone have a problem with it yelling "sink rate"? I was flying a normal traffic pattern the other day, and it started saying it once I turned base but stopped on final.

From a 496 yes

I've never heard the sink rate from a 430/530. Is that a feature it has as well? The Commander yelled it all the time, which was annoying since it did it for what were normal descents in that plane.

The plane I used to fly had a 530W with TAWS on board and it would yell terrain warnings at you. Without TAWS, I don't believe it will transmit any aural warnings.

I do not believe that the 430W or 530W have any audible alert; only the Big Yellow Box flashing.

I know I have heard "Terrain Terrain Pull Up PULL UP" in my headset, but I can't remember if it is from the 396 or the 430.
Haven't found it on the 430, but I know my Garmin Aera 510 has the aural 'Terrain, Terrain, Pull Up' warnings.

Why is it that the uncertified units (ie Aera 510/560) seem to have better features in this regard than the panel mount ones?

I imagine it's liability, but that is a shame when safety is at stake.

Got the answer.

The 530W/430W terrain is advisory rather than a certified TAWS. To get the verbal warnings one needs the certified TAWS option at $7,000.

So, easier to get the handheld and use that if you want it.

Got the answer.

The 530W/430W terrain is advisory rather than a certified TAWS. To get the verbal warnings one needs the certified TAWS option at $7,000.

So, easier to get the handheld and use that if you want it.
Or, you could put down a deposit on the Avidyne IFD 540/440 series which will have verbal warnings for terrain and obstacles at release.

The plane I used to fly had a 530W with TAWS on board and it would yell terrain warnings at you. Without TAWS, I don't believe it will transmit any aural warnings.
Agreed on both counts based on what my 530W with TAWS does and what it didn't do before the WAAS/TAWS upgrade.

Or, you could put down a deposit on the Avidyne IFD 540/440 series which will have verbal warnings for terrain and obstacles at release.

Thread drift: Has Avidyne begun production yet? Or still vapor ware?

Thread drift: Has Avidyne begun production yet? Or still vapor ware?

I heard they started production and have shelves full of the boxes. At this time they are awaiting the FAA to sign off on documentation for the software testing before they are allowed to start shipping.

We did consider that when putting in the 430W to compliment the 530W. Decided against it because I haven't been impressed with Avidyne's reliability, I don't buy version 1 of anything for aviation, it would require upgrading both boxes, and then also learning and mastering a new box, which is also more difficult now that I'm no longer a 500 hour/year pilot.

Why is it that the uncertified units (ie Aera 510/560) seem to have better features in this regard than the panel mount ones?

I imagine it's liability, but that is a shame when safety is at stake.
Probably has to do with the whole certification process/timeline. Much easier/quicker to get newer features out on the shelf if you don't have to mess with the red tape.

Probably has to do with the whole certification process/timeline. Much easier/quicker to get newer features out on the shelf if you don't have to mess with the red tape.

Ding ding! We have a winner!

Anything for victor airways right in the box......

I hope Avidynes new gps boxes and autopilots prove to be good products with good support. Both markets currently have de-facto monopolies and could benefit from some competition.

My Chelton Sierra has terrain warning, sink rate, terminal lock( 30 miles to your destination wake up call :lol:) along with HITS, and a whole bunch of other audio warnings. The synthetic vision is quite crude by today's standards, but still very accurate. It is now 7 years old.

It is amazing what can be done without the confines of certification. Chelton did get their equipment certified now thought. The price tripled. :mad2:

Last edited:
Well, I see both sides of it (and have lived both sides).

The purpose of certification is to make sure the product does what it says it should do. In the case of verbal warnings, this needs to be tested to make sure it works right and lets the pilot know in case of a failure. Otherwise, you're flying along fat dumb and happy and hit a mountain when it fails.

Now, one could argue that the pilot should have sufficient situational awareness to make sure that doesn't happen, but human factors have shown us that it's unlikely. So there's a benefit to making sure it works as expected.

On the other hand, we all know the cost of certification is out of control, and I think hurts safety since costs are high enough to restrict a number of people from installing these products and benefitting from the safety aspects.

At an Oshkosh planning meeting last night a buddy showed us an article about a FLIR for experimental planes. They have it hooked up to an RV-8 or Harmon Rocket. The image is displayed on the EFIS screen and showed incredible detail in real time.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Back