Velcro Banned From Use On ELT's

The mount for the 406 is supposed to take a 100 pound pull in any direction without any more than 0.1" deflection. I have wondered about that Velcro strap and whether it would support 100 pounds without tearing or releasing.

Dan

The mount for the 406 is supposed to take a 100 pound pull in any direction without any more than 0.1" deflection. I have wondered about that Velcro strap and whether it would support 100 pounds without tearing or releasing.

Dan

Well, your suspicions were correct sir. :D

Shear strength on velcro can easily exceed 100lbs. Peeling is easy, sheer without peeling and velcro is deadly strong. Not saying it is the right product for the job, but don't underestimate velcro because it is easy to take off the old man sneakers.:)

Shear strength on velcro can easily exceed 100lbs. Peeling is easy, sheer without peeling and velcro is deadly strong. Not saying it is the right product for the job, but don't underestimate velcro because it is easy to take off the old man sneakers.:)

I love those Velcro shoes. :redface:

Function over form.

Yup... The way I look at it. the biggest gain is in quality time... If I tied my shoes you can figure about 40-50 seconds per event... Since I am in the construction business, I remove my shoes numerous times in a given day so I don't track dirt in the customers homes.. There are other examples but lets assume it is 10 times a day... The velcro ones are on in 3-5 seconds. Thats ten times less...

So... in a average day I would waste 500 seconds with shoe strings... The velcro wasted time is 50 seconds X 365 days a year = 18,250 seconds, or 304 minutes, or 5.06 hours a year for velcro.. The shoe strings would have cost me 50.6 hours - 5.06 hours = 45.5 hours I got to do other things besides tying my shoes.... Times that by 20 years and I am over 1000 hours ahead.... That's 41 more days of doing stuff instead of playing with shoe strings....:yes:;)....

Now apply that logic to the time wasted at "security" screenings and you see that the TSA kill a couple hundred people per year.

Damn, I just bought two pairs of Clark's for $225..... and I have to tie the damn things. :yesnod:

:lol:

You saved all that $$$ flying "????expensive????" experimentals, you can afford the Clarks. :D

When I was kid, these were what was in style. Loved those things, used to put my money in the zipper pocket.

Kangaroo-Garnet-NvyGry.jpg

You saved all that $$$ flying "????expensive????" experimentals, you can afford the Clarks. :D

When I was kid, these were what was in style. Loved those things, used to put my money in the zipper pocket.

A Zipper pocket in a shoe.:dunno:.

You have got to be *ucking kidding me... :hairraise::eek:

Holy rewind Batman!:eek:

OK...wait a second.
On my (and all the installs I've done/helped with the ELT TRAY was attached to the airframe in accordance with 43.13b and the manufactures instructions. This included wording that the ELT TRAY(old or new) was to be located so as to orient to ELT so the mono-direction "G" switch would activate upon high G deceleration. The trays had formed ends to contain the ELT and is engineered to not allow the ELT to "jump the tray" prior to G switch activation when the unit is held in position by a strap velcro or otherwise. All the strap does is hold the ELT in the tray...
The Avweb article makes it sound like the ELT was simply Velcroed to the cabin floor and came loose. We all know this isn't the case but still; I know of several airplanes that have velcro stapped ELT's doing LOTS of -6G flip flop flying and nary a problem (not to mention the planes whose ELT worked as advertised regardless of a velcro strap).
A VIP died and therefor there MUST be a reason...absent the velcro strap they would have all survived...:no:.

Don't start me on the craptech 406 elts are...

JMPO Chris

I don't think the idea is that the ELT would jump the tray prior to G-switch activation, I think it is that it could come out of the tray under much higher 10s to 100s of Gs during a crash and thus become disconnected from its (external) antenna. So it would be activated but uselessly transmitting without an antenna.

Seems to me when I built my experimental 10 years ago there was specific wordage in the instructions on how to install the unit,,, and with those instructions was the concept of securing it to withstand some serious impacts..... Call me old fashioned but... Mine is in there so well, it would take dynamite to dislodge it.... The DAR that inspected it agreed too..

I can't see velcro being used in this application.:no::no:

Back