Vegas trip and wind

kmead

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
kmead
We flew out to Vegas last thursday in the Malibu for a safety seminar. Head winds were terrible 6.5 hrs non-stop to HND. Fighting a mountain wave we had ground speeds lower than 60 kts at times. Mother nature paid off on Sunday. we were only 3.2 hrs home to HUT. We were over 300 kts most of the way home at FL250. Good flight!

Kevin

Saturday was much the same for me. We were seeing double-digit ground speeds in the Aztec at times heading from North Carolina up to White Plains, and then back to Williamsport, with winds gusting into the 40s. For the second half of the day I hopped in the 310. Still had headwinds up to Syracuse, but then saw 220-240 kts over the ground on the short trip to New Jersey... and 100-110 kts from Jersey back to Williamsport.

In Jersey, I put the 310 down on a 2700x60 ft strip with a direct 25G35 crosswind (estiamted). A tight strip when it's good weather. The previous owner of the plane called me up the next morning to make sure I got home safely, and said "If you got it in and out of that strip last night, you passed the test. You know to fly the plane." Made me feel good, but I'm glad I don't have to do that every day. :)

Phfft, I get double digit ground speeds in my Warrior all the time. I don't need no steenking wind to do that. :)

John

Phfft, I get double digit ground speeds in my Warrior all the time. I don't need no steenking wind to do that. :)

True, and on Saturday you probably could have even gotten single digit! :)

Took over an hour to fly to AXV Friday night. Took twenty minutes to fly back. Maintained a steady 155 knots in a Cherokee 140. Had good landings in the dark both ways. Hooray me.

Back