VE Day Flyover 8 May

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Is anyone planning on attending the flyover in DC this week? I hope it gets plenty of coverage since I'll be unable to attend.

We're going down to watch it (and of course, my wife is running the appearance at the Hazy center on Saturday).

Went to a CAF open house a few weeks ago and the crew of Texas Raiders was raising gas money for a US Capitol flyover... appears to be this. I'm glad I had some cash to spare for her!

When I asked one of the B-17 guys at Lone Star Museum in Galveston last week about participating in this once in a lifetime flyover, the response was "We will be going somewhere that pays for the plane."

They then went and flew Thunderbird for an hour, post - winter maintenance. We taxied in just as they were pulling her out. Just a beautiful B-17.

Edit: Ron, please take lots of pix and video!

7890d8a6eb11d847a6039386425a0442.jpg

Last edited:
Being in the DC area, I'm going to see how bad the TFR is, I might go up and see what I can see from a distance airborne. Otherwise I'll head downtown to see it from the ground.

Yep, it is entirely on their own nickel for this flight. What we were surprised with is how many want to come up to Dulles on Saturday. While I think the airport will waive the landing fee, the Smithsonian will not only not pay for fuel, they won't let the aircraft put out their donation bucket, or sell stuff while on display there. Still a bunch are planning to be at Hazy (provided the weather holds).

Being in the DC area, I'm going to see how bad the TFR is, I might go up and see what I can see from a distance airborne. Otherwise I'll head downtown to see it from the ground.

They will be departing from KHEF and staying in the Bravo, so no TFR required (and the whole SFRA thing). You could hover outside the SFRA below the B but that's about 6 miles away from 2400 feet.

Would have liked to gone for this. Should be pretty epic, but we had already scheduled a trip out of town before I knew about this.

Will be watching from the rooftop of my Navy Yard office. Should be pretty cool watching them fly over at 1000ft.

It should be 70 planes, with 29 of them from the CAF. My daughter is graduating from veterinary school that day, so I'll have to find some video of the event.

Back