vasovagal episodes

U

Unregistered

Excerpted from http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...ignee_types/ame/fasmb/media/fasmb_200201.pdf:

If an airman suffers a syncopal episode and reports this to the
AME, he/she should obtain all the information surrounding the
event(s). We needn’t tell you that the history of the event is
most important. When you have all of this in hand, you can give
the AMCD or the regional medical office a call. If the syncope is
shown to be vasovagal, the likelihood of medical certification is
good. Should the airman procrastinate with the supporting
documentation, the AME should defer the case. The terms vasovagal
syncope, neurocardiogenic syncope, and neurally mediated syncope
are synonymous. However, if the individual has a cardiac
arrhythmia such as asystole or bradycardia, it is called
malignant cardioinhibitory syncope. It is the latter form of
syncope that the AMCD does not grant medical certification until a
sufficient period of observation is done. If, with adequate
history, the airman can prove that it was only vasovagal syncope,
then certification is usually granted. An airman with recurrent
episodes of vasovagal syncope is not granted medical
certification.

Are vasovagal episodes that do NOT result in fainting (for example, lightheadedness from an injection) reportable?

Are 4 episodes (1 blood donation, 1 injection, 2 urination) of vasovagal syncope over a 20 year time span considered "recurrent"?

(1) If they result in medical attention, FAA finding out if you don't report, is going to happen. Answer is, yes.
(2) Yes.

To prove it was only vasovagal syncope cannot be done by history. That requries:

Stress treadmill
Echocardiogram
Holter monitor (not a 24 hour event monitor).

I had the vasovagal event twice. Once when giving out blood and at the dentist chair during a root canal. They told me it was not uncommon to have these events during medical procedures. They gave me alcohol or something similar to smell and quickly recover.

José

... FAA finding out if you don't report, is going to happen.

Dr. Bruce, please don't take this as a shot at you.

Your comment just got me to thinking how lucky we are [TIC] that with so relatively few pilots in the general population that the FAA has the time and resources to comb through our medical records in order to learn that some random private pilot may have swooned while giving blood 3 years before his Class III medical exam. We wouldn't want that person flying his family in a 2,400 lb Skyhawk on a day trip somewhere. Better that he get behind the wheel of a 5000 lb. GVW SUV, just like he'd done hundreds if not thousands of times between the swoon and his exam (all without incident).

If the FAA adopted regulations that made obtaining and keeping a pilot's certificate more practical for the general public, they'd never have the resources to be able to keep all those people under their thumb so effectively.

Dr. Bruce, please don't take this as a shot at you.

Your comment just got me to thinking how lucky we are [TIC] that with so relatively few pilots in the general population that the FAA has the time and resources to comb through our medical records in order to learn that some random private pilot may have swooned while giving blood 3 years before his Class III medical exam. We wouldn't want that person flying his family in a 2,400 lb Skyhawk on a day trip somewhere. Better that he get behind the wheel of a 5000 lb. GVW SUV, just like he'd done hundreds if not thousands of times between the swoon and his exam (all without incident).

If the FAA adopted regulations that made obtaining and keeping a pilot's certificate more practical for the general public, they'd never have the resources to be able to keep all those people under their thumb so effectively.
Do not get me going.
You are talking to the choir.
We, however elected the legion of congresscritters who stand up and say,

"Weee will tolerate no more accidents!" (Pena).

"IF my state can put my picture on a DL, why can't the FAA (dingle).

"I want the bureaucrat that allowed these pilots to LIE and still fly about their disability payments, before my committee!" (Operation Safe Pilot, Rep Oberstar, D-Mn).

DJ, Remember when Transp. Secy. Ray LaHood said we could levy use taxes on automobiles via GPS?

This administration is very pro-regulatory and you may expect more, until the population decides differently. Sigh.
"More power to the sheeple!"

Bruce, can multiple episodes of vasovagal syncope signal a deeper underlying medical condition? My last flight physical in the Army a guy fainted in the hall. I wondered if that was disqualifying for the guy or if they just overlook it. Nurse said at least once a week they get someone that passes out.

Yes but the Noncardiac, and non-neurologic condition(s) are very very rare. Amyloidosis, late diabetes, and shy-drager syndrome come to mind. But NONE of them come to the attention of the docs by the person passing out- not usually.

That's why the workup is as I posted.

Hi Bruce,

Is it possible to get a first class certification with 2 vasovagal syncope in a 20 year span?

Thanks,

Kelly

Hi Bruce,

Is it possible to get a first class certification with 2 vasovagal syncope in a 20 year span?

Thanks,

Kelly

Unfortunately, Bruce won't answer your question as he no longer actively participates on this board.

Send your question to his email and he should respond within 24 hours or less. aeromedicaldoc(at)comcast.net

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back