Vasomotor rhinitis

U

Unregistered

A quick question for Doc C. I suffer from vasomotor rhinitis and currently take approved meds to help control the condition. I especially suffer when I eat and it can be socially embarrassing. There are stronger drugs that are not approved by the FAA.

Question: Can I take the non FAA approved drugs while at home and then rely on the approved meds for when I fly. I'm looking for relief from the social part. I can control things in the cockpit by limiting eating during duty periods.

Thanks in advance.

You have to say which meds because I need to know about half lives. Some nonapproved meds will never be okay because they linger for a long time (SSRIs, etc). Regitine for impotence can never be flown with, but it's half life is short and the agency is happy with "doesn't fly within four hours of use".

Nope. Sorry about that. They HATE that one. And the diagnosis is uncommon enough that there aren't a lot of options :(

I once got into it with the agency about an SSRI that was being given two day a month for Hot flashes. It worked very well, but they nixed it and she put up with the flashes in order to fly. Sigh.

Yes they are. I don't think they're quite as good for the vasomotor variety, - but YMMV :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back