Van Nuys - California - PPL Training

Diego

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
diego
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if there is anyone from the Los Angeles area, but i am looking for a good, knowledgeable instructor in either KVNY or KSMO to have my training with. I'm new to all this, so i don't know if this is a common scenario, but it seems like specially in KVNY, most schools are scams. They promote a mega fleet of mostly grounded planes that have extremely poor maintenance, they have an ongoing in-and-out of "instructors" (pilots trying to log their 500 hours as quick as possible and get the hell out) so basically, i can't learn anything and i might be flying on a moped with wings without knowing.

If there's anyone from Van Nuys Airport or Santa Monica that can guide me towards one name, one real teacher i can call and learn with... I would really appreciate it!

I really want to learn, but can't afford to be a victim of that kind of system.

Thanks!

Bruce Breslau. 818 368-6885. Independed CFI working out of Van Nuys. I did my ground school with him and found him a great teacher and easy to get along with.

Edit: corrected phone number

Last edited:
Thank you! I will definitely reach out tomorrow. Did you only do ground with him?

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if there is anyone from the Los Angeles area, but i am looking for a good, knowledgeable instructor in either KVNY or KSMO to have my training with. I'm new to all this, so i don't know if this is a common scenario, but it seems like specially in KVNY, most schools are scams. They promote a mega fleet of mostly grounded planes that have extremely poor maintenance, they have an ongoing in-and-out of "instructors" (pilots trying to log their 500 hours as quick as possible and get the hell out) so basically, i can't learn anything and i might be flying on a moped with wings without knowing.

Unfortunately that's a problem with many schools: The have lease-back planes and most instructors are not in it for the long haul. I've had some pretty good instructors and at least one that I wanted to send sky-diving out of the right seat without a chute.... "Opps, I don't know what happened, he just fell out while I was under the hood.... "

The good places to learn usually aren't cheap, but you get to fly with the same instructor who will see you through your training, and fly well maintained aircraft that you can take someone for a ride in when you get your ticket.

You might try Whiteman too. I'm in Long Beach so probably no help with recommendations, but good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

regards

~Marc

The flight school I lease my plane back to is awesome. Stable cadre of instructors. Very close to a practice area. But KTOA is a bit of a trek.

And if you fly my plane, you have the added benefit of seeing my posts and knowing how much money I've been pouring into it. Lmao

I too recommend Bruce Breslau, highly. I did my Private Pilot training with him, and am now doing my Instrument training with him.

He instructs out of Van Nuys. I'm training in a Garmin G1000-equipped Cessna 172 that I rent from Mach 1 Aviation. But Bruce has access to round-dial aircraft if you prefer those.

He tailors his instruction to the particular student he's working with at the moment. I know this because a friend of mine whipped through his Private Pilot training with Bruce in just four or five months, while working and going to school and taking flying lessons early in the morning. It took me longer, but Bruce never once let me feel I was progressing slowly. Rather, he always made me feel I was making good and timely progress by regularly showing me the Reg that specifies what a student pilot has to accomplish before being eligible for a check ride, and showing me how I was accomplishing each of those things, step-by-step, at a respectable pace.

The earlier post that recommends Bruce got his telephone number just a bit wrong. Bruce's actual number is 818-368-6885.

Last edited:
You guys have no idea (or maybe you do) how much i appreciate your help. Seriously!

I will definitely reach out to Bruce tomorrow.

If you're planning to train out of KVNY, do your best to find a place that rents and bills hours in tach, not Hobbs hours. You'll save thousands just during your private.
(or fly during weekday early afternoons). Nothing worse than paying a lot of dollars in Hobbs watching the tail feathers of 6 planes in line for takeoff. (And also a guaranteed way not to complete your training within 40 hours).

Yeah, VNY is pretty busy, but WHP isn't exactly a sleepy one-horse town either.

I was amazed at just how much traffic it saw last time I was there. Burbank was quieter. And the Santa Anas were blowing; I can't imagine how crowded it gets on nice stable winter days.

It does have a HELL of a nice pilot shop. But good luck finding the terminal, especially by road....it moved recently.

I know an excellent instructor in Santa Monica, he does mostly transition training in people's own airplanes, but he does primary training also. He is by far the best instructor I've ever known. If you'd like his contact, send me a private message and I'll connect you.

Have you found a school/instructor yet?

Have you found a school/instructor yet?

My apologies for the late reply. I did end up getting my PPL with Bruce Breslau and i have to say i could not have had a better recommendation!
Very, very, very knowledgeable and dedicated to ensure that knowledge is passed on to you. It was a true blessing, especially after my bad experience with a school in KVNY (which i had to drag to court).
I also ended up training on 172 with G1000 and i have to say it was definitely a good choice!

I thank you all for your recommendation and definitely recommend him myself to anyone in the LA area.

Back