Value ANR - Anyone with Victor 1 ANR Experience?

clawz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn P
Just wondering if anyone here has used the Victor 1 ANR headsets from Tina's Pilot shop? I found a short blurb in a thread from last year but I am having trouble finding a detailed review on them.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Claims to be produced by Lightspeed just for them and price is about the same as a set of David Clark H10-13.4's.

They are currently running a deal through their Ebay store to get the memory foam upgrades and a case for them so they look like they could be a great deal for a student such as myself.

Thoughts?

I originally bought the victor-1 passive headset w/all the upgrades tina offered...their really good...then about 4-5 months ago I decided to purchase a second headset so I could use the passive's for passengers. I bought the Victor-1 ANR's from Tina...So far, no complaints...I like them. Only issue I ever had once was a popping nose coming from one of the earcups..it turns out the earcup mic rubber got smushed from transport in my headset bag..I pushed it back out with my finger and never had an issue since....I get about 20 hrs of battery life...If you want to read reviews of them check out the Lightsped QFR CC's...these are the EXACT same, just generic branding for Tina but still warrantied under Lightspeed for 3 years.

As a student pilot, I figured why spend $1000 for Bose or Zulu's..that's 10+ hrs of flight time. Flight time is more important to me and for the price tag I couldn't pass up the victor-1 anr's....I would definitely recommend then..Worst case, you can pass them down to a passenger headset when you upgrade.

FYI; Tina's is good people. I live not far from them and when I need a pilot something from a brick-n-mortar operation, I go there.

On the headset question, before spending money on the Victor's, save up some more pennies and go with the Quiet Technology Halo. They have a big following and those that have them are really pleased with fit, finish, and function.

Not to keen on having the in ear style of headset. Earbuds, foam earplugs, etc all bug me after awhile. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I bought two sets of the Victor 1 ANR headsets with the gel upgrade five years ago. They work well and I've certainly got my money's worth out of them. They aren't top of the line Zulus or Bose and they can get a little uncomfortable after an hour or so, but they are great for what they cost. When I ordered, Tina offered to take them back if I didn't like them. You might see if the offer still applies. As others said, she's a stand-up business and very pleasant to deal with.

another option to consider if you already have passive headsets is upgrading your existing headsets to ANR with a kit from Headsets Inc out of Amarillo TX. I have really enjoyed mine.

Headsets Inc

I bought one, liked it and got a second. A pair of low self discharge AA batteries lasts forever (at least 20 hrs). The passive reduction is also pretty good, so if the batteries die they still work well.

I did have the outer sheath of the cord split on one after about 100 hours of use over 6 months. Shipped it to Lightspeed and they turned it around in 2 days.

another option to consider if you already have passive headsets is upgrading your existing headsets to ANR with a kit from Headsets Inc out of Amarillo TX. I have really enjoyed mine.

Headsets Inc

Will be my first headset. Plan is to buy something lower end now and eventually upgrade later on after I get some time under my belt. This set would work it's way down to my wife or daughter as I am going to need 3 headsets when all is said and done.

Thought about going that route with a set of David Clarks but I cannot find a set locally to try yet as I am concerned about the reported head clamp issues (I have a big 'noggin! lol)

Will be my first headset. Plan is to buy something lower end now and eventually upgrade later on after I get some time under my belt. This set would work it's way down to my wife or daughter as I am going to need 3 headsets when all is said and done.

Thought about going that route with a set of David Clarks but I cannot find a set locally to try yet as I am concerned about the reported head clamp issues (I have a big 'noggin! lol)

I have a huge head....scary huge. I bought Dave Clark H20-10's when I started flying in 1996. They have been super reliable and very comfortable. Only had to replace the gel seals on one pair so far. They have been with me for roughly 2000 hours worth of flying. I like them so much I installed ANR modules. About the only complaint I had from anyone that borrowed the headsets was they thought the set was a bit heavy. I don't notice. I guess my head is big enough the headset is relatively light. I my experience any headset that has a metal headband with passive ear cups feels like a c-clamp installed on my noggin.

Of course you are the only person that can decide what you should get. Everyone has different preferences. I recommend finding a pilot shop and trying some on. If there isn't anyplace local it could be a great excuse to fly somewhere....

Very true, just had my second lesson though so going to be a little while before I go flying off to Phoenix. Could drive, but wheres the fun in that? ;)

I have been asking around at the school and apparently there are no brick and mortar pilot shops in Tucson period for whatever reason.

They look the same as the avshop 450 rebranded-Lightspeeds:
http://www.avshopdesign.com/

Which I have had one since 2011 and generally enjoy them. I use a quiet tech halo in-ear headset (so much nicer for summer flying, no ear sweat!) and the pax use the ANR now... but I still think I got a great bang for the buck.

They're currently at Lightspeed getting a new cable between the ears - pulled them outta the bag and they caught on some metal clip in my bag and cut right thru the cable. $50 repair they say.

I say buy the tinas or avshop - but avshop looks a tad cheaper ($249)

good luck,
Mike

Back