Valuation different between 182P with o470 vs o550?

pj500

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pj500
I'm trying to get a swagger on what type of valuation differences you see in the resale market for mid-upper range mid-70s 182Ps based on having a freshly rebuilt o-470 low time engine and having the same in a freshly rebuilt o-550 tx skyways conversion.

Does anyone have any experience or data they are able to share? Book value assigns a flat 5k difference between motor types, and the time is treated the same, but I'm not sure that really reflects the marketplace.

To be specific, if I knew a good value of a particular 182P was 80k, what would the o550 version be worth of the same plane on resale?

Id think a 550 swap would pull more than 5k worth of difference.

I'm trying to get a swagger on what type of valuation differences you see in the resale market for mid-upper range mid-70s 182Ps based on having a freshly rebuilt o-470 low time engine and having the same in a freshly rebuilt o-550 tx skyways conversion.

Does anyone have any experience or data they are able to share? Book value assigns a flat 5k difference between motor types, and the time is treated the same, but I'm not sure that really reflects the marketplace.

To be specific, if I knew a good value of a particular 182P was 80k, what would the o550 version be worth of the same plane on resale?

What's the difference in cost between a rebuilt o-470 and a o-550?

Wouldn't be any reason for it to be more than the original delta of the prices.

Tapering to less as engine time goes up.

I'm trying to get swagger on that it's proving elusive. I'm guessing the difference is 20k, assuming you have an airframe with a run out propeller and motor. The reality is, it's probably more.

Vref gives something like $44k if the 550 is new. I have the Texas skyways 520 in a 182 and that makes a huge difference with a minimal fuel burn. The p-ponk, air plains, Texas skyways are more desirable as the closer you get to gross the plane still performs better than stock. It does not help though if the prop isn't also upgraded.

Back