Validating an American PPL in Italy

giaviv

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
giaviv
Hey guys,

I'm flying to Rome this summer and I want to fly there a little bit (VFR). I've found that some peole say that I can only fly an N registered plane (any idea on where I can rent one?) and others say that I can validate my American PPL. Is validation really an option, what does it require and how is it done?

Thanks!

You can fly an N-reg plane on your US ticket, or you can fly a locally-registered plane if you get your FAA certificate validated. The requirements vary between countries, so you have to get in touch with the aviation authority in the country of interest. In Europe, you will have to take a written test on the local flying rules, and may have to take a checkride.

You can fly an N-reg plane on your US ticket, or you can fly a locally-registered plane if you get your FAA certificate validated. The requirements vary between countries, so you have to get in touch with the aviation authority in the country of interest. In Europe, you will have to take a written test on the local flying rules, and may have to take a checkride.

I never did, not for Day VFR PP priviledges. In Germany I went to the FBO, the manager took my US CP ticket and medical into town in Winningen and came back with a 1 year Day VFR PP ticket. No test, nothing, just your standard 1hr 172 checkout like if I was renting from a new FBO here. In Aus, I could have just gotten a writeover PP ticket for $135, but for commercial priviledges I had to take one out of seven written tests required for an Aussie CPL and a checkride as well as a first class medical.

Back