Vacuum Pump issues or AI/DG ?

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
My Attitude indicator has developed an issue where it will show a bank to the left (just a bit less than 5 degrees)and then it will seem to right itself.

The DG seems to show precession a little easier than it should sometimes. the DG has always been touchy but within limits of what I would call normal even in the bumps..

The Attitude Indicator is a Sigmatek 23501-06-09 (B5000B series)

The vacuum pump always reads within limits.. before i have it checked out, would you think a vacuum pump or line leak or the actual Attitude Gyro ?

Vacuum is not a good indicator of actual flow. When was the filter last changed?

Note: I ain't no A&P so obviously, I am wrong.

My Attitude indicator has developed an issue where it will show a bank to the left (just a bit less than 5 degrees)and then it will seem to right itself.

The DG seems to show precession a little easier than it should sometimes. the DG has always been touchy but within limits of what I would call normal even in the bumps..
The Attitude Indicator is a Sigmatek 23501-06-09 (B5000B series)

The vacuum pump always reads within limits.. before i have it checked out, would you think a vacuum pump or line leak or the actual Attitude Gyro ?
Depends on how it's plumbed. Some vacuum systems use a common filter with a gauge that reads the pressure delta across the gyros and in that case if the gauge is reading within limits the only thing that could be blocking airflow would be a kinked and/or collapsed hose. OTOH if the gauge reads the system pressure referenced to ambient (cabin air pressure) a plugged filter would likely make the gauge read slightly higher than normal while the gyros receive less than normal airflow.

I am guessing the filter is something I can't replace myself ? I looked through the logs and didn't see anything where it has been replaced previously. (I'll double check) maybe that is all it is..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am guessing the filter is something I can't replace myself ? I looked through the logs and didn't see anything where it has been replaced previously. (I'll double check) maybe that is all it is..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can legally replace any filter but you should have your mechanic show you how to do it (including the required logbook entry). BTW if you have a pressure system there are two filters, one on the pump intake and one between the pump and the gyros. But with a pressure system it's unlikely the gauge would read OK when a clogged filter was inhibiting adequate airflow in the gyros. OTOH, a kinked or leaking hose could cause your symptoms.

Back