Vacuum pump failed, now what?

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I was flying the family home this morning from a short trip to visit relatives and about 15 minutes after departing my vacuum warning went off. I was VFR and it's a short flight, so I just continued on and landed at my home field without incident.

Here's the issue: my DG doesn't hold heading very well and probably needs an overhaul itself, so I'm wondering with the Dynon D10A and the Garmin G5 now available if it makes sense to just remove the vacuum system and to use one of those devices for my attitude indicator? Is there any cheapish option also available to replace the function of the DG?

Thoughts? Opinions? Options?

Outside of a aspen, not yet.

If just get a couple hundred dollar OH on your DG and wait it out a little longer, being a early adopter is never the best idea

The D10A is a great option, EXCEPT that the STC currently requires a vacuum DG. As I understand it, in certified aircraft, they can only be primary for attitude.

Full disclosure: I fly an RV with no vacuum system and no mags. I talked to Dynon guys at OSH about the STC for the two certified planes I'm a co-owner of. Both are covered by the STC, but like I said, that's my understanding of the requirements.

Edit: There must be a certified DG for the Dynons. It can be electric or vacuum.

Last edited:
The pump and overhaul are relatively inexpensive but this is the time to change if you're going to do it. I'd love to dump my pump and backup.

The pump and overhaul are relatively inexpensive but this is the time to change if you're going to do it. I'd love to dump my pump and backup.

How do you figure?

These STCs JUST came out

Garmin just released their version, the STCs holders are going to end up offering more and having to compete for prices.

I'd give it some time.

Wagering in not too long you'll be able to get a garmin or dynon version of a aspen for the same price as the dynon is now, why pay the premium to be a pioneer?

How do you figure?

These STCs JUST came out

Garmin just released their version, the STCs holders are going to end up offering more and having to compete for prices.

I'd give it some time.

Wagering in not too long you'll be able to get a garmin or dynon version of a aspen for the same price as the dynon is now, why pay the premium to be a pioneer?

The Dynon D10A has been around for almost 15 years and has everything the Aspen has for around $1200. Ditto the G5 has well proven hardware just in a different package more suitable for direct replacement as it fits a 31/8 hole and is also $1200 including STC. The Dynon requires a square hole in the panel. I don't foresee anything cheaper on the market in the near future. Don

Both new in the certified world

Well, it's looking like a new vacuum pump will be the fiscally responsible thing to do here. An Aspen or a G5 + electric DG are going to run $5,000 minimum.

Back