Vacum Pump Recommondation

Flavius Renatus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flavius Renatus
Hi All,

Kind of funny thing happened this evening.

I am in the middle of my IFR training and was doing a partial panel approch, with my instructor ( VFR), after we landed I notice that I have no Vacum pressure. Zero.

Talk about timing. :)

So now I am shopping for a new Vacum pump for a 1969 Cessna 172 with a Lycoming O-320 E2D.

The current one was a Sigma-Tek Dry air pump installed in March 1995 and it ran for just over 800 hrs. Which I thought was not too bad of a run.

Does anyone have any Recommondations on what to purchase?

Thanks

Flav

change to a wet pump and never worry about this again

Hi All,

Kind of funny thing happened this evening.

I am in the middle of my IFR training and was doing a partial panel approch, with my instructor ( VFR), after we landed I notice that I have no Vacum pressure. Zero.

Talk about timing. :)

So now I am shopping for a new Vacum pump for a 1969 Cessna 172 with a Lycoming O-320 E2D.

The current one was a Sigma-Tek Dry air pump installed in March 1995 and it ran for just over 800 hrs. Which I thought was not too bad of a run.

Does anyone have any Recommondations on what to purchase?

Thanks

Flav

http://www.airwolf.com/Products_WetVacuumPumps.htm

no , no… you will also need a oil air separator and all new discharge system. or oil allover your belly.
yes, yea, and yes. All well worth it. One of my wet pumps is over 30 years old.

I think I should stay with a dry pump. I looked at the wet ones and they are $1,500 plus what I would have to spend for changing over to wet.

What is the best dry pump?

I think I should stay with a dry pump. I looked at the wet ones and they are $1,500 plus what I would have to spend for changing over to wet.

Pick one, they're all equally bad. Doesn't Tempest make one? Get that.

My dream is to have a panel that doesn't require one.

Are you doing IR because you might actually use it to go somewhere in IMC or just for giggles? The answer might determine which way you want to go.

if you're doen my way this weekend (C75) stop by and I'll show you the wet pump installation, there's not really that much to it. Email me your cell if you're going to be around.

Tempest

Also, very critical for dry pumps - clean out the system and replace filters.

Back