Vacation Tour of A/C plants?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I may never get this done but I have always wanted to compile a list of places to fly to and visit over the summer... all places that are currently producing aircraft such as Mooney in Kerrville (are they still?), maybe Boeing at Seatac still gives tours, Eclipse in ?ABQ? Cirrus? Diamond?
I think it would make a great vacation, (and a terrific write-up here). Maybe someone will go for me, take pictures and post back here?! :yes:

Yes, Boeing still gives tours at the Everett, WA plant. Haven't been on it yet, but I've heard it's pretty cool.

Jeff

Let'sgoflying! said:
I may never get this done but I have always wanted to compile a list of places to fly to and visit over the summer... all places that are currently producing aircraft such as Mooney in Kerrville (are they still?), maybe Boeing at Seatac still gives tours, Eclipse in ?ABQ? Cirrus? Diamond?
I think it would make a great vacation, (and a terrific write-up here). Maybe someone will go for me, take pictures and post back here?! :yes:

New Piper Aircraft in Vero Beach, Florida
http://www.newpiper.com/

Yes, Mooney Airplane Company is alive and well in Kerrville,TX.

In terms of best scenery location for a factory I would check with Lancair certified aircraft at Bend, OR. Depending on the time of year you might visit either go whitewater rafting on the Deschuttes River while you are there, or skiing at Mt. Bachelor.

Let'sgoflying! said:

Mooney is still in Kerrville - Sometime this year I would like to visit.

Cirrus is in Duluth, MN - completely different assembly process than mooney. It takes them 1/3 the amount of time to assemble the aircraft. ~1600 hrs compared to ~4500 hours. The tour is ok I've been told (family went) but they are really busy putting out planes/not much time to spend on other things.

Diamond would be fun too but it would be a really long flight for you.

Another thing that is fun is visiting the component manufacturers like the prop, engine, etc that produce everything for your plane. I guarantee that you will enjoy and appreciate more every part that goes into your aircraft.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I may never get this done but I have always wanted to compile a list of places to fly to and visit over the summer... all places that are currently producing aircraft
Cessna has a plant not far from here (70 miles) at Independence, KS. They give tours. You could stop there on your way to Gaston's. :)

Let'sgoflying! said:

I'm gonna go visit the Extra factory in Germany this summer/fall when I get some time off over there. Got an interesting airplane idea for them.

Henning said:
I'm gonna go visit the Extra factory in Germany this summer/fall when I get some time off over there. Got an interesting airplane idea for them.

Check this place out if you have time.
http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/
Good luck getting a tour though. :(

American Champion in Rochester, WI, and where is Aviat?

boeing plant at PAE has tours but you must sign up on line, and it costs $

Iceman said:
Cirrus is in Duluth, MN - completely different assembly process than mooney. It takes them 1/3 the amount of time to assemble the aircraft. ~1600 hrs compared to ~4500 hours. The tour is ok I've been told (family went) but they are really busy putting out planes/not much time to spend on other things.

I took the Cirus tour a few weeks ago as part of an Angel Flight get together and found it pretty entertaining.

Dave, I think it would be very interesting if you were to compare someone like Cirus or Diamond to Cessna, Mooney, or Piper. You probably won't be allowed to take pictures, at least not without the manufacturer having the ability to edit/delete anything they feel gives away trade secrets, so be ready to take lots of notes.

I'm seconding Joe :eek:.... I'm going to visit Tiger in August (-:

I hope they have large buckets to keep me from drooling all over the shop floor......:rolleyes:

lancefisher said:
I took the Cirus tour a few weeks ago as part of an Angel Flight get together and found it pretty entertaining.

Dave, I think it would be very interesting if you were to compare someone like Cirus or Diamond to Cessna, Mooney, or Piper. You probably won't be allowed to take pictures, at least not without the manufacturer having the ability to edit/delete anything they feel gives away trade secrets, so be ready to take lots of notes.

I took pictures at New Piper. No prob.

I haven't been there yet, but I hear that Eclipse Aviation is offering plant tours right now, at the Sunport Location, at least they are to applicants - maybe you could apply for a job while there and have them show you through.

Back