Vacation in San Juan, PR as student pilot - air tour?

TazzyTazzy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mitch
Hey everyone. Hope you can help give me some pointers/ideas for a San Juan tour by air.

We are escaping the harsh California winter for a few days for New Years (Dec 30-Jan 7), as it does get down in the 50s here. :lol: We were thinking of renting mid-week in the morning.

We've never been to Puerto Rico. Looking at the average temps, it looks like it'll be in the mid 80s for the high, so it's not too cold <g>. I'm guessing it's best to get out there first thing in the morning for smoother air given the land+water?? Not sure about morning marine layer though. How long should we go for? Two hours enough? Any suggested routes or must see?

I've already called them, and they will rent us a plane + CFI, so I can take my better half and our travel buddy. At the very least, the CFI should have ideas on where to go if I can't come up with something on my own.

As far as my skills, I'm just getting started and train in a 172N. They have a 172M. I have a feeling my instructor will have me solo in the next flight or two - I caught a glimpse of his "pre-solo" checklist that he doesn't let me see and I think everything is checked except for one box. No idea what it is. My buddy told me to wear cheap/disposable shirts that I don't care too much about. :)

Thanks for the input.

As a student pilot (even if you do solo at home before going on vacation) don't be disappointed if your Foreign CFI won't let you land or take off. Enjoy the view and be sure to charge up your camera. You mention you'll bring your wife and buddy and so 4 people in a 172 will delegate how long you can go and how far.

Thanks Saracelica. I'll leave the camera shooting to my soon to be husband and buddy, they are good photographers and we share photos all the time. I'm good at scanning and flying VFR and dividing my time looking at the instruments so I'll still enjoy the flight. Flying out of the California valley, I'm still making comments to my CFI about the amazing views of various mountains all around us.

But yes, good advice, enjoying the scene will be first. That will be the entire point of this flight; no plans on doing stalls, steep turns, etc etc. :)

My question is more of :confused: : How long should we stay aloft. Is 1 hour plenty, or is 3 hours required to get to more interesting scenic places vs getting bored seeing the same things over and over.

-Mitch

We rented a 172 in San Juan last Christmas.

Wound up flying for about 1.3 hours. Flew up the coast, cut inland and flew a couple laps around the big radar antenna (very cool, was in a Bond movie and Contact), and flew back. I thought that was about the right amount of time for some sight seeing. Could have easily done more, but didn't feel like we missed anything major.

-Dan

Tell the CFI to take you to Culebra and Vieques Islands. Is about 1.5 round trip... Amazing views.. You will pass right near El Yunque rainforest and you can experience Culebra airport (the 2nd most challenging airport in the Caribbean.. St Barths is the first).

Beautiful scenery... You will enjoy the flight.

Ask me if you want more info...

Edit: Culebra Island airport is TJCP. Check it out on you tube

Ok. Thanks for the tips. Both sound like great routes. I think a tour of the two islands is the winner so far with us.

As a student pilot (even if you do solo at home before going on vacation) don't be disappointed if your Foreign CFI won't let you land or take off. Enjoy the view and be sure to charge up your camera. You mention you'll bring your wife and buddy and so 4 people in a 172 will delegate how long you can go and how far.

I hope you meant foreign to him, as opposed to foreign politically. Just to remind the peanut gallery: Puerto Rico is part of the United States of America and Puerto Ricans are natural-born American Citizens.

Winter is the best time to visit PR. Highs are in the low 80s and there is practically no rain. At Isla Grande Airport (TJIG) there is a constant pleasant sea breeze from the east. TJIG is right on the San Juan bay with a beautiful view as you approach rwy 9. Beside flying don't forget to tour El Morro and San Cristobal Castle in the Old San Juan. They are full of history since 1500. Ponce de Leon, then governor of PR departed from San Juan NW in search for the fountain of youth when he discovered Florida in 1513. Making him the first known European to step on the continental USA.
More at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Ponce_de_León

Have a good trip

José

Back