VA08 Longbranch Airport

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
Just curious if anyone happens to know the person who owns this Private grass strip in Virginia. It is basically in my parent's neighborhood. When I fly up, I usually go to hummel which is a 20 min drive.

It's worth a shot to call the owner (contact info on airnav page). Considering there are four aircraft listed as based there, there's a good chance it's regularily used.

I've made cold-calls in the past and offered to send or fax a letter to the owner understanding that I am using the strip at my own risk and hold the owner harmless for any mishaps that may result in my usage of the facility.

Better if your parents can meet the neighbor first so that you'd have that "in".

Also, check your insurance (or rental or club agreement) about landing on non-public and/or non-paved runways. It may be a non-starter.

If you get permission, be sure to bring a nice gift to the owner. Mowing that much grass isn't cheap.

Thanks. I was thinking i'd send a letter to the address on airnav. Non-paved runways are not only okay, they're preferred :)

Just looking on the FAA ownership database, the Owner also owns a Cessna 150, A J-3 Cub, and a Republic Seabee. Sounds like he's having a lot of fun over there.

Non-paved runways are not only okay, they're preferred :)
Just curious, do you know the reasoning behind this? I think that's great, but have not yet been lucky enough to rent from anywhere with a policy like this without in-depth discussions and persuasion on the chief CFI.

Just curious, do you know the reasoning behind this? I think that's great, but have not yet been lucky enough to rent from anywhere with a policy like this without in-depth discussions and persuasion on the chief CFI.

The airplane I want to take up to VA08 is a privately owned J-3 cub, pretty sure there are no insurance policies limiting cubs to paved runways.

I do rent aircraft to travel in though, from a flying club. The club allows grass landings, in fact I got my private through the club and went with my instructor to a grass runway a few times to practice. We are lucky to have instructors/insurance company that allows this.

There is really absolutely nothing dangerous or tricky about a well maintained grass strip. The 'well maintained' part is key though. If you fly to one, always ensure it is well maintained (call ahead, make a low pass, etc..)

Last edited:
Negative. I sent the owner a letter and have not heard back.

I did mention the aircraft was fully insured and offered to provide proof of insurance etc...

Negative. I sent the owner a letter and have not heard back.

I did mention the aircraft was fully insured and offered to provide proof of insurance etc...
Ahh, snail mail. They've lost several items of mine in the last few months. I'd call to be sure.

Good luck with it! Did you include in it that you take full responsibility for damages, and sign it? That way he has written proof that you released him of all liability if he allows you to use it, and happen to cause damage.

Also wouldn't hurt if you offer to help him mow it while you're there, or buy some fertilizer. If he's on the fence about giving you permission, offering something like that could sway him.

Back