VA airport recommendations

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
I’m planning a flight from MA to GA with a pit stop in VA. Anyone have a recommendation for a nice airport on the western edge of VA, maybe around Lynchburg or Charlottesville that has nice facilities and a restaurant? Would like at least 2,500 ft if the approaches are somewhat clear.

Unless it has changed lately, Charlottesville is Signature monopoly territory. Not exactly a warm and fuzzy place for a brief stopover (call ahead on just how high their usurious fees are going to be).

Hop on the other side of the Shenandoah hills and stop in Luray. Also moves you further away from the circle of doom and the forces of darkness.

I’m planning a flight from MA to GA with a pit stop in VA. Anyone have a recommendation for a nice airport on the western edge of VA, maybe around Lynchburg or Charlottesville that has nice facilities and a restaurant? Would like at least 2,500 ft if the approaches are somewhat clear.
Luray (LUA) will give you a ride into town for lunch, and a visit to the Caverns is nice too. Shenandoah (SHD) has a courtesy car with food not too far either.

Awesome. Thank you. We are traveling with an infant so just looking for lunch and to give her a break after a few hours. Im happy to avoid a class D and the associated shenanigans if I can.

This may not be what you're looking for, but I'll toss it on the table, for what it's worth . . .

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KMTV

When the race teams are in Martinsville, they use KMTV. Also, @eman1200, and others have eaten at the café. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This may not be what you're looking for, but I'll toss it on the table, for what it's worth . . .

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KMTV

When the race teams are in Martinsville, they use KMTV. Also, @eman1200, and others have eaten at the café. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I second Blue Ridge (KMTV) as a nice stop. New surface on their 5000x100 runway as of May. Usually go there 2-3 times a month for lunch and fuel, which is some of the cheapest in the area. They just repaved the entire runway back in May, but will be closed next week (from their Facebook page):

THURSDAY June 20th - Close at 12:00 pm for approximately 4 hours for Runway blemish repairs.
MONDAY June 24th close approximately 4.5 days for final Paint and grooving. As always, check NOTAMS

Cheers,
Brian

You guys got me all excited. I'll be going next Wednesday, weather cooperating. Would love to have a restaurant on site so we don't have to take the kid somewhere.

If MTV is too far you could do HGR which also has a restaurant. Not a whole lot in between the two. I would avoid CHO as stated above.

Bummer that KMTV is supposed to be closed when you fly next week... :(

I use this website a lot to find find fields with restaurants either close by or on the field. Usually pretty accurate, but check ahead of time to confirm hours, etc...

http://www.fly2lunch.com/

Cheers,
Brian

If you are seeking more amenities for family options, KJYO is in Leesburg VA and there are tons of options for food and other things in proximity. If you have $20 in your pocket I can even arrange babysitting with one of my college-aged daughters for an hour. No restaurants onsite, but lots of stuff very close. I live and work walking distance from my hangar there, if you have an unexpected challenge I am happy to help out.

Further south, KBCB is a fun spot with crew car in Blacksburg, home of Virginia Tech.

Very nice of you, thank you. We might try to get a bit farther south on the first leg. Appreciate all your kind offers.

Alright, I can sympathize with the bias for a Signature monopoly, but I have to say I get my money's worth at CHO. Exactly ten gallons of gas on every day trip I have done and they waive the ramp fees. They give me a nice courtesy car for two hours to drive all the way south of town to my favorite dive deli when I am just stopping for lunch. They make sure my rental cars for overnight stays are in their lot rather than at the terminal when I use online apps to get good deals. They are friendly, and let me take as many free baby water bottles as I want. The overnight fees do hurt, but sometimes a little friendly back and forth with the desk personnel can get that cut without asking. Life's too short to pick pennies off the floor. Oh wait, I'm posting on a pilot forum. :rolleyes:

If you want to slide a bit east and get away from the rough air that is sometimes resident over our mountains, try Chesterfield KFCI. Nice facilities and the most complete, excellent buffet lunch you will find IN the FBO! Highly recommended!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back