V tail GFC 500 Autopilot vs?

alaskan9974

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
alaskan9974
I am trying to decide what to update my old panel with, I think I have decided on;
  • IFD 540
  • Dual G5's
  • GFC 500
I can get the IFD installed for free after purchase, and the G5's are relatively straight forward. I plan to do those with my IA like the last set I put in my 182. The GFC500 will need to be installed by a dealer.

Any ideas on the install time for a GFC500 with two servos on a V tail? Dealer won't give a quote, just an estimate of 50-75 hours. Followed up by saying it will take however long it takes,which didn't leave me with a good feeling when they bill 150+ an hour.

I don't know what other options I have in this price range, an STEC 55X or a Dynon Autopilot would be nice, but their price points seem to be much higher then what I have in mind above. Thoughts?

The way I understand it, the reason why avionics shops can't give more accurate quotes is because they don't know what they will find when they start opening things up, especially with an older airplane. I also understand when they are retrofitting an autopilot, there can be a lot of labor involved with replacing old servos, especially the mounting hardware.

It sucks, but that is the reality, I am afraid.

Find a shop that's done Bonanzas before.
I doubt any shop will give you a fixed price...too many variables on a retrofit in an old airplane.
But at least a shop that's done it before isn't learning on your airplane.

Curious, if you are going with a Garmin autopilot why you decided on an Avidyne GPS navigator? Doesn't Avidyne make an autopilot for your modelof Bo?

The avidyne auto pilot is just a head unit for an STEC auto pilot, as I understand it.

I don’t know if Florida is too far away for you, but the basic Dynon 10” system is $16,790 in my shop and the 3-Servo auto pilot is $9,310. These are flat rate prices, out the door.

I don’t know if Florida is too far away for you,

OP seems to be in Alaska. Only Hawaii is farther for a Pilot of America :(

(but then, Kath flew a 172 to FL from Alaska so it is possible)

The way I understand it, the reason why avionics shops can't give more accurate quotes is because they don't know what they will find when they start opening things up, especially with an older airplane. I also understand when they are retrofitting an autopilot, there can be a lot of labor involved with replacing old servos, especially the mounting hardware.

It sucks, but that is the reality, I am afraid.

My plane doesn’t have an autopilot currently.

It has an original beech pneumatic wing leveler, but I was planning on opening the plane up, removing the servo and head and hoses before it even hits their shop.

The avidyne auto pilot is just a head unit for an STEC auto pilot, as I understand it.

I don’t know if Florida is too far away for you, but the basic Dynon 10” system is $16,790 in my shop and the 3-Servo auto pilot is $9,310. These are flat rate prices, out the door.
I wish you were closer I’d be dropping my plane off tomorrow :)

Back