V- Tail Bonanza in the mist

LJS1993

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LJ Savala
A few days ago while shopping near the airport I saw an interesting plane quietly flying overhead in the light haze. I stop and look up in the sky and say to my wife "ahhh check it out honey...it's a Beechcraft Bonanza!!!.....") Well all the while I overhead other shoppers saying "what is that guy looking at? ". I guess people just don't slow down and bother to check out what is truly going on beyond their present environment. Since really getting back into aircraft I am noticing all kinds of activity in the skies. I'm not even a pilot but just the knowledge of different and cool aircraft has opened up my world. Just something I thought you guys might find interesting.

I just went to AZ for the week, and we stayed about a mile away from the Scottsdale airport. I had a good time trying to identify planes that would come and go as we sat out by the pool, although it made me realize just how bad I am at trying to identify airplanes. You're right, however, in that I was pretty much the only person paying any attention to them.

I looked at MIT's aerospace engineering department for college, and one of the signs on the wall said that they always ask potential professors what they do when a plane flies overhead. The right answer is to look up. If the professor doesn't even do that, it's a serious ding against him.

My dad was a pilot and I grew up near a metro airport. Some would probably think our property was worth less than similar houses a few miles away because of the air traffic and noise. I never considered that a detriment--I liked the sounds of the planes flying over.

To this day, if I'm indoors and hear a plane that I can't see, I'm annoyed (because I can't see it, not because I can hear it!). If I detect something unusual about the sound (radial engine, etc.), then friends have learned to expect that I'll drop what I'm doing and head outside to see what's going by...

It's said that only two kinds of people look at clouds: Children and pilots.

Ron Wanttaja

My dad was a pilot and I grew up near a metro airport. Some would probably think our property was worth less than similar houses a few miles away because of the air traffic and noise. I never considered that a detriment--I liked the sounds of the planes flying over.

To this day, if I'm indoors and hear a plane that I can't see, I'm annoyed (because I can't see it, not because I can hear it!). If I detect something unusual about the sound (radial engine, etc.), then friends have learned to expect that I'll drop what I'm doing and head outside to see what's going by...

There is a plane that flies near my work almost every day (two sea planes, actually). They land on the water right outside my window. I always go outside, or get up, or run to my window. Last week I pulled over when I saw the Hangar One blimp really close to the water and I took photos.

People walk around looking at their shoes. They walk into things. This is not news. ;)

I just went to AZ for the week, and we stayed about a mile away from the Scottsdale airport. I had a good time trying to identify planes that would come and go as we sat out by the pool, although it made me realize just how bad I am at trying to identify airplanes. You're right, however, in that I was pretty much the only person paying any attention to them.

Nice!!!! People thought I was a little nuts getting so excited about some "plane" flying around in the air. They need to open their eyes and wake up. :)

It really is true:
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

I drive people at work crazy because whenever I hear a plane I am looking for it and if I can identify it, they get bored listening to me talk about. I don't care.

You know it's great to see that though you guys are in the air consistently you still have to check out that plane overhead. :)

I was dumped by a "girlfriend" when I was in 7th grade for always staring at planes (I grew up right under the approach path for the 27s at PHL). Apparently 13 year old girls don't find the differences between a UsAir A330 and a British Airways 744 interesting :)

I looked at MIT's aerospace engineering department for college, and one of the signs on the wall said that they always ask potential professors what they do when a plane flies overhead. The right answer is to look up. If the professor doesn't even do that, it's a serious ding against him.

If they really wanted to separate the men from the boys they would have put that sign on the ceiling :idea:

Back