V-22 Osprey

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Watching a show about it. Curious ... Which seat does the PIC sit in?

Right seat. The controls are symmetrical, but that side gives you a better view of the refueling probe.

Isn't the probe on the centerline? What's obstructing the left side?

Isn't the probe on the centerline? What's obstructing the left side?
No, probe is on the right (at least on the USMC version). They probably put it on the right since it is treated a little more like a helo than fixed wing is my guess.

No, probe is on the right (at least on the USMC version). They probably put it on the right since it is treated a little more like a helo than fixed wing is my guess.

With those big rotors it seems to me that it would increase the pucker factor during aerial refueling versus being on the centerline.

I was told they do fly it in the right seat like a helo but it's for landing on board the ship. Not sure if it's a mandatory requirement to be right seat or just a norm.

I was told they do fly it in the right seat like a helo but it's for landing on board the ship. Not sure if it's a mandatory requirement to be right seat or just a norm.
I can't speak to MV-22s specifically, but the helo guys routinely approach land on ships from either seat.

You can tell which seat is flying by the red and green nav lights. If the Nav lights are blinking, the left seater is flying. If they are steady, then right seat.

I can't speak to MV-22s specifically, but the helo guys routinely approach land on ships from either seat.

You can tell which seat is flying by the red and green nav lights. If the Nav lights are blinking, the left seater is flying. If they are steady, then right seat.

Yeah I don't think it's a mandatory thing. Just asked a coworker who flys them and he said they keep the PIC right side for the ship.

I guess like most services, we never had a mandatory PIC seat in the Army. A briefed position but you sit where ever you wanted. I actually preferred left.

Back