Utah plane crash filmed from inside the cockpit

Amazing
Very lucky I would think

The response of the young lady to "Are you ever going to fly again?"... Yeah.

That's a keeper.

Glad they are alright.

Not sure how he flipped it. Maybe not holding the nose up enough?

Plane does not not look so good or so salvageable though.

David

Did he think it was packed down snow? How do you land on that without skis?

Um, that was not a 'landing' by any stretch. It was a crash. Note the four point(three actually, with dual shoulder belt) aftermarket harnesses in the old 175. Almost surely saved serious injury, or fatality. I doubt there was close to enough rudder authority to overcome the pitching moment of the small tires into the snow.

I believe it was a forced landing so there wasn't the option of choosing. It flipped because the nosewheel busted off, I don't think there was anything he could have done to prevent that from happening under the circumstances.

And now he can tell people he owns a low wing 175!

Did anyone notice no flaps. I would want to be going as slow as possible in an emergency landing. Is there something wrong with my thinking?

I'm confused. What exactly happened to get the plane upside down like that? Did he land nosewheel first? Or was there so much momentum that when the main gear bit into the snow it just toppled over nose first?

Um, that was not a 'landing' by any stretch. It was a crash. Note the four point(three actually, with dual shoulder belt) aftermarket harnesses in the old 175. Almost surely saved serious injury, or fatality. I doubt there was close to enough rudder authority to overcome the pitching moment of the small tires into the snow.

Ahh, i didn't have the sound on when I originally saw the video.

Did anyone notice no flaps. I would want to be going as slow as possible in an emergency landing. Is there something wrong with my thinking?

Yes. He must have forgotten the flaps. Definitely want to land with as little energy as possible. That 175 has some big honkin 40 degree fowler flaps.

I'm thinking that with all the flaps out the airplane would touchdown in a significantly more level attitude. With no flaps it was probably pretty nose high. Guessing the mains grabbed in the snow, and the nosewheel slammed down hard enough to break it.

He flew the plane though :) gotta love the girl at the end :rofl:

They are blessed! Everyone appeared to be calm. I am sure flaps would have been nice, but he did great and walked away.

I wonder why he ignored the roads he was flying over? I learned in a very rural area and dead-sticked a 172 onto multiple roads during training.

So, in our Monday morning quarterbacking best - is there anything that could have been done to prevent the crash?

I wonder why he ignored the roads he was flying over? I learned in a very rural area and dead-sticked a 172 onto multiple roads during training.

One of the things I read said he thought there was too much traffic on the roads and he would crash into a car.

I've found in other discussions that many pilots and most non-pilots don't have any faith in the ability of cars to see and avoid a plane making an emergency landing. I'm not among them, but I've heard it a few times.

So, in our Monday morning quarterbacking best - is there anything that could have been done to prevent the crash?

Can't really tell much of what was happening from the video but from the descriptions of low and slow sight seeing if power was back much at all in those conditions I would have had carb heat on from the point of pulling the power back.

As to the choice of landing spots, with all those folks on board, we're talking a full load, and (I guess) complete engine failure I wouldn't have chanced a road either - power lines, telephone poles, mailboxes, culverts, traffic.... Nope, I'd have gone for that wide open flat space too - even if it meant nosing over and wreaking the plane, it was a safe pick.

Based on the drivers around here, I question getting on the road in a car let alone putting a plane down on a road.

It appears that this hasn't happened yet... look at the the date 4/2/2013.

Ahh the date below is in February.

Last edited:

Don't fly below 1000' agl unless you need to count the spots on the rabbits.....what an idiot.

If he used flaps maybe no crash, less kinetic energy may not have collapsed the nose gear.

Carb icing? No way to see that coming in a Cessna?

OH well probably better off anyway as no way he could sell a 175 so at least the insurance will pay off.

by Random

Random, You did mean elevator, instead of rudder, to overcome the pitching moment?

Just wondering.

by Random

Random, You did mean elevator, instead of rudder, to overcome the pitching moment?

Just wondering.

Yes, my bad.

Back