Utah. From Chicago. What should I see and how?

charheep

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
charheep
Yes, its probably crazy, but I have always wanted to see Utah from the air.
My choices are:
fly commercial and rent
fly commercial and hitch a ride with a local
fly from Chicago and do it all myself.

Flying myself there is 2 solid days(yes, I need access to a faster plane), so I would guess 6 days plus 2 for weather. that might be the at the high end of what i can get away with, both from work and the family unit.
Renting might be fun, but I would have to join openairplane just for this trip or call around.
Hitching a ride or taking up a cfi is probably my best bet, but I dont like people and they havent invented robotic CFI's yet.

So the real question is, what should I fly over to see and what spots should I land and investigate? Any way I get there, I would like to spend 2 full days to flying and sightseeing. Any must-not-miss places?

Thanks.

SW corner - where the various westerns were (and are still) being filmed.
Tabernacle in SLC
Skiing

On the way - Telluride is a scenic landing.

Monument Valley (500 ft from persons or property/structures is useful)

Bryce Canyon (cooler from the ground than the air)

Grand Canyon (very close to UT)

Land at Page, AZ and borrow the crew car to take a tour of Antelope Canyon.

Also, lake Powell.

one of my favorite parts of the US!
yes, Antelope Canyon, Lk Powell, Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, Escalante, Moab, Canyonlands are all in striking range

Last edited:
Spectacular country!

Dsc03326.jpg

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

Our first long cross-country in our Cherokee 140 in 1981 was from Van Nuys to southwest Utah. We landed at Cedar City, rented a car and drove up Cedar Canyon to Cedar Breaks National Monument. There, a ranger told us that there are no cedar trees in Utah. :dunno:

Cedar Breaks, by the way, is a smaller version of Bryce Canyon, but deeper and with more color. It's also a much closer drive to Cedar City. The visitor center is at 10,350' MSL.

Flying-1980s-3002.jpg

Excellent, I am taking notes. And those are the pictures I want to see and bring back.
Thanks everyone.

If you go to monument valley, then north and follow the river through lake Powell, page, and the Grand Canyon it's a great trip.

There is a private airport in Monument Valley you can land at (with prior permission/notice). They have a hotel and tours there.

It's mostly paved, but has interesting scenery:

d10c50f55aef12184bf98d635e86bda3.jpg

6c0428cd02c351040712c9c559fd3db8.jpg

24d517aeb98353b31ea3557b3864e707.jpg

If you make it further north, Logan is a nice little college town. Nice mountains along the way. My kid Mike is a flight student there and works part time at the FBO. Ask for the crew car and discount card to Angies restaurant in town. If you stay over night they have a real good rate (I think $89n a night) at the Springhill Suites. Take a drive up Logan Canyon to Bear Lake. Hope that helps.

That sounds like a fun trip! If you can afford the time and money to fly yourself there, go for it! It is a long, probably mostly boring cross country trip but I think you'd be surprised at how scenic many states on the way can be, too. Just keep in mind that if you do go that route, it would be a good idea to get some mountain flying experience. The Rockies are no joke and if you plan to be in the Salt Lake area, you will most definitely be feel their affects.

Some of those pictures everyone's been posting here makes me want to go there, too!

Chicago is about the same latitude as Paradise.... Just head due West and make a left at the Grand Tetons...... That will take you to Utah...;)

Or make a right turn and it will take you to Yellowstone.... Nice landscape there too..

Grand.Prismatic.Spring.original.1306.jpg

Attachments

• 2012 Xmas. 051.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 051.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That sounds like a fun trip! If you can afford the time and money to fly yourself there, go for it! It is a long, probably mostly boring cross country trip but I think you'd be surprised at how scenic many states on the way can be, too. Just keep in mind that if you do go that route, it would be a good idea to get some mountain flying experience. The Rockies are no joke and if you plan to be in the Salt Lake area, you will most definitely be feel their affects.

Some of those pictures everyone's been posting here makes me want to go there, too!

A little training for high density altitude operations and mountain airports goes a long ways. Lots of aluminum in the hills from people who shoulda made other choices...

What type of aircraft would you fly if flying yourself?

we go twice a year. In the summer we fly our beechcraft, it's an easy day trip. This time of year we drive our toyota 4wd. I don't nave nearly enough airplane to make that trip reliably in the winter.

Back