USS Ronald Reagan (NA)

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
thought some of y'all would find this interesting:

the son of one of my Dad's friends is on the USS Ronald Reagan. He is allowed to invite two people to go on a regular cruise on this carrier, from Honolulu to San Diego. I really don't know details, if this kid did something special to be able to invite two folks or what's going on... but regardless, my Dad and his friend are heading to Hawaii sometime in the next year to check out the ship and get a nice ride from there to San Diego.

woodstock said:
thought some of y'all would find this interesting:

the son of one of my Dad's friends is on the USS Ronald Reagan. He is allowed to invite two people to go on a regular cruise on this carrier, from Honolulu to San Diego. I really don't know details, if this kid did something special to be able to invite two folks or what's going on... but regardless, my Dad and his friend are heading to Hawaii sometime in the next year to check out the ship and get a nice ride from there to San Diego.

That's called a "Tiger Cruise" usually Dad,s day aboard. or in many cases the son of the sailor.

He won't be able to stop talking about the ship for 6 months.

NC19143 said:
That's called a "Tiger Cruise" usually Dad,s day aboard. or in many cases the son of the sailor.

Hmmm...I may have to try and steer my son toward a Navy career now.

Nav8tor said:
Hmmm...I may have to try and steer my son toward a Navy career now.

Naval Academy is one of the best educational deals in the country, and then the things you get to play with afterwards....

I know I wouldn't be invited back...how far do you think I could bodysurf the bow wave before they sent me packing? Or, a little game we use to play, take the keys to the ship and hide them in a "better" place when no one is looking. Or taking bets who could "fly" the heaviest object the furthest distance from the safety screen at the turbine intake. God forbid they should let me play LSO for a day.

NC19143 said:

yep, that's it, they did mention Tiger Cruise. His Mom died a few years ago so his Dad is bringing my Dad along.

I got to do that in 1982 on the carrier the USS John F Kennedy out of Norfolk as guest of the captain. While they wouldn't let me fly in the F14, I did get my picture taken sitting in the cockpit. They did overfly the deck while supersonic. I can still remember the sonic boom.

I got to bring my little brother on the Connie's Tiger Cruise when he was still in high school. He's now an Army Sgt Major ... guess he wasn't that impressed with our living conditions and food...but at least we had (somewhat) hot showers and didn't pack our beds on our backs! Two minute navy showers are way better than canteen showers!

Back