USS Alabama - Mobile

Hey all, i am going to have to miss this trip....something has come up i cant get out of. Was really looking forward to it sadly, but it is what it is at this point. Have fun.

Just booked a room, same place.

What time are you thinking of arriving? I'm thinking late morning, check-in at the hotel (may have to leave luggage), then head to lunch, then off to the USS Alabama. May be the best way to meet-up with anyone. Everyone meet at a restaurant for lunch and then head out from there. I'll look at restaurants and put a list of options together and post them.

OK, sounds good. Are you flying into downtown? It's 2:07 to downtown no wind, so lunch is no problem. It would be cool to meet up at the airport however, and maybe share the cost of the rental car(s)?

I'm planning on downtown (BFM), as I was thinking Uber/Lyft with the high price of rental cars, but yeah we could meet up there especially if we are sharing a rental car. Looks like the no wind time is about 1:40 for me.

Checking in on the "maybes":
@Velocity173
@bflynn
@Greenhead
@simtech
@Hang 4
@Challenged

Who's still in or now out? For those still in, are you VFR only (i.e. you are planning to be in, but the weather may force you to cancel)?

If I'm there, I'll be last minute and commercial cattle. I'll move myself to the no category.

We are heading to Dallas that weekend for a family bday. Sorry I'll miss out but I'm in on the next adventure!

Scheduled to work next weekend. I’m out.:(

Well, there are a bunch of restaurants closed on Saturdays and Sundays in the Central Business District. Fortunately some are still open.

There are some casual seafood places east of the Battleship Park and a Mexican place too.

One that looks very interesting for dinner is Five. If that's not appealing Dauphin's is open on the weekends too. Both a short walk from the hotel.

We are planning on walking around Fairhope Sunday morning, late morning, and having lunch somewhere over there. It's on the other side of Mobile Bay. One of our friends loved it on a trip there, so my wife really wants to see it.

The Ruby Slipper looks like a great breakfast place. Or we could eat at one of the places in Fairhope. Lots of nice lunch spots in Fairhope; Thyme on Section, Panini Pete's, TexarBama Barbeque, and more. Wander around Fairhope.

Then back to BFM and heading back home.

I'm out unfortunately. Just bad timing and couldn't get schedule worked out. Maybe one day everything will fall into place.

Sent from my BV9900Pro using Tapatalk

Bill and I made it and toured the Battleship. My wife came as well. Stopped for lunch and heading back.

47e44fabb4ebb4c3d5c91dc61dd3ae1c.jpg

Wayne

One from above on my way in to BFM.

Ok, the app on my phone didn't do a great job on the size reduction. Here's a better one.

USS Alabama From Above_m.jpg

Wayne

Last edited:
Glad yall had a fun trip, wish i could have made it, but something unavoidable came up. Looks like WX was nice.

One more. We went to see if we could walk around the ship on the concrete walkway, but found a locked gate. So, we got some pic from in front of the bow.

USS Alabama Bow_m.jpg

Yup. CQF is closer still and, while there's nothing at the field, Fairhope is close by.

The airport in Fairhope has been a great experience for me. Not a terrible drive to the Battleship. I'd be interested in the trip as well, if it's not too late!

Well, there are a bunch of restaurants closed on Saturdays and Sundays in the Central Business District. Fortunately some are still open.

There are some casual seafood places east of the Battleship Park and a Mexican place too.

One that looks very interesting for dinner is Five. If that's not appealing Dauphin's is open on the weekends too. Both a short walk from the hotel.

We are planning on walking around Fairhope Sunday morning, late morning, and having lunch somewhere over there. It's on the other side of Mobile Bay. One of our friends loved it on a trip there, so my wife really wants to see it.

The Ruby Slipper looks like a great breakfast place. Or we could eat at one of the places in Fairhope. Lots of nice lunch spots in Fairhope; Thyme on Section, Panini Pete's, TexarBama Barbeque, and more. Wander around Fairhope.

Then back to BFM and heading back home.

Well how did you like my hometown of Fairhope? You would be better staying in the Hampton Inn in the Historic Center of Fairhope a ton of great restaurants and things to right outside the door. You can also tour the Airbus factory now and their adventure of flight experience with simulators at BFM. Lots of big iron at BFM due to MAS heavy MX facilities there and continental engines is at BFM also.

Well how did you like my hometown of Fairhope? You would be better staying in the Hampton Inn in the Historic Center of Fairhope a ton of great restaurants and things to right outside the door. You can also tour the Airbus factory now and their adventure of flight experience with simulators at BFM. Lots of big iron at BFM due to MAS heavy MX facilities there and continental engines is at BFM also.

I enjoyed it. It was a little sleepy when we walked through as it was Sunday morning. We decided to get lunch and then head home. Right after we sat down the restaurant became swamped with people. Apparently church services just let out as we sat down.

We just saw how close BFM is to the USS Alabama, and some people were talking about flying down for the day. It was just Bill, me and my wife, so staying in Fairhope would have been easily doable. My wife and I may go down again some time, and if we do we will stay in Fairhope unless we find a place right at the beach we like. With all the restaurants and shops Fairhope may still win out.

Back