Using the plotter

Ray F

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ray F
How do I figure out the true course on a sectional using a plotter if the course is almost due north. The line I've drawn on my sectional doesn't cross a line of longitude. Thanks guys.

Create a parallel line using a folded piece of paper. Fold the paper to the width of the longitude line to your course. Put the paper on the longitude line, put the plotter on the other side of the paper.

Or you can go to the big box hardware store and in the tools section, there's a gadget that has two rulers in parallel connected by two swing arms on pivots. Put one rulers on the longitude line, the other where you need to put the plotter. The put the plotter on that ruler and find your course.

You can also go to where the courseline crosses a line of latitude, use that to square your plotter, and measure the heading of the courseline.

If your course is nearly north or south and does not cross a meridian, place the hole of your plotter over a parallel (line of latitude), and use the inner scale . no math needed.....:

Attachments

• plotter2.jpg
    plotter2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 63
If your course is nearly north or south and does not cross a meridian, place the hole of your plotter over a parallel (line of latitude), and use the inner scale . no math needed.....:

A lot of people forget what the inner scale is for.
Or the were never taught.

Thanks guys for the replies. I used the line of latitude suggestion and worked like a charm.

How do I figure out the true course on a sectional using a plotter if the course is almost due north. The line I've drawn on my sectional doesn't cross a line of longitude. Thanks guys.

Well, you can slide it across a triangle, or get a rolling or set of parallel rules until your plotter's protractor intersects a line of lat or long and measure from there, that gives you your true course. Next apply local variation and the deviation from your compass card and that gives you compass course then apply your wind correction angle and get your course to steer.

You can also look at the angle and guess within 5 degrees and call that good then just navigate out the window or follow the MLOD.

I seem to recall doing this at a time when there was no internet. :dunno:

You must be mistaken... the internet has been around since the 1800s when Al Gore invented it. Flight is more recent. I'm happy to have grown up with both.

Back