Using my bf (a non-pilot) as a study buddy?

Allison Riccardi

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Angelwings
I realize that trying to learn from a non pilot about flying is something I should take with a grain of salt. We have been watching those old flight training video's, and I appreciate listening to his analytical understanding of what is said. Listening to him is a lot less expensive than an instructor. So I am thinking, I will just ask my boyfriend what ever questions pop in my head, and then see what the instructor says in a more time efficient way. What do you all think of this strategy?

Listening to him is a lot less expensive than an instructor.
Yes, but in theory, you're just listening to somebody (your bf) who has interpreted the words of someone else (the videos) which in-turn gives you third hand information, which isn't beneficial. Bottom line is, pay the money and get ground knowledge from a CFI who actually knows what they're talking about.

You'll be far better off in the long run. :)

I understand. He is very logical and analytical in his thought process is why I ask. I wouldn't trust just anyone, but he seems to understand aerodynamics. I wish he loved it like me though. o_O

My wife, a non pilot, has a very analytical mind. I can read a few lines of an accident report, and she finishes with very accurate outcomes.

Me: A student pilot making a landing in crosswinds ...
Her: ... ran off the runway, crumpled the nose wheel, minor injuries

flight into terrain, VFR into IFR, fuel exhaustion, density altitude, etc

She also has instinctive knowledge how lift works -- in a descending spiral level the wings before pulling back on the yoke

So, yes, I think it is entirely possible that a nonpilot study partner MIGHT be a help. (Depends on whether he understands basic laws of physics -- conservation of energy, kinetic energy, potential energy, lift vs drag, momentum, weather. That helps understanding flight. But the FAA rules are another matter.)

My wife, a non pilot, has a very analytical mind. I can read a few lines of an accident report, and she finishes with very accurate outcomes.

Me: A student pilot making a landing in crosswinds ...
Her: ... ran off the runway, crumpled the nose wheel, minor injuries

flight into terrain, VFR into IFR, fuel exhaustion, density altitude, etc

She also has instinctive knowledge how lift works -- in a descending spiral level the wings before pulling back on the yoke

So, yes, I think it is entirely possible that a nonpilot study partner MIGHT be a help. (Depends on whether he understands basic laws of physics -- conservation of energy, kinetic energy, potential energy, lift vs drag, momentum, weather. That helps understanding flight. But the FAA rules are another matter.)

Those things are all just common sense. Where else is a student pilot going to go while attempting a x-wind landing? Back to the tower or maybe taxi over the the self-serve fuel farm? And a descending spiral? Only a whacko would presume that tightening up the spin would yield a positive outcome. Keeping in mind that no one taught the Wright brothers how to fly but themselves, they also started out a few feet above the ground in a flimsy glider that had very little total energy, and they still screwed up often and with injuries. Listen to an instructor when it comes to learning to fly, and talk about flying with your friends, family, etc if they're interested. Who knows? You might convert a friend or family member into a pilot, or even that CFI into a family member, but the bottom line is that you won't learn how to be a doctor from watching old re-runs of Chicago Hope with your boyfriend and talking about each episode.

Using another student to help study is very common in nearly all academic settings. The problem with "ground school" is that it often is informal so it lacks the structure which enables relatively rapid correction/answer checking. If using your boyfriend in this manner works for both of you then go for it.

Only a whacko would presume that tightening up the spin would yield a positive outcome.

Yet, they do, and 8 of 12 of my ground school when asked the first thing to do when in a descending spiral said "pull up."

I agree with explaining it to him.

I have learned a lot teaching and sometimes I ask my clients to teach me to see if they understand it.

In my opinion as the pilot in command you need to take a more assertive role in the relationship.

He may like it.

Plus, a lot of FAA questons involve essentially memorization, cloud clearances, names of clouds, fog formation scenarios, etc. A study buddy can help with questions that elicit the correct response.

Back