Using LSA for Angel Flight?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I'm not considering doing this, just curious of the FAA's position:

Can you use a certified LSA for an Angel Flight?

I know AF doesn't allow you to use a homebuilt. I know LSA's aren't generally IFR equipped (which raises another question: are LSA's by definition restricted to VFR only, or can they be equipped/certified for IFR?) but is there any legal reason (LSA limitations by FAR/CFR) why I couldn't fly an Angel Flight in an LSA?

I'm getting checked out in one next Friday, just for the fun of it. Markus turned me onto it, out at Grand Prairie. Brand new, $88/hour wet.

Plak03sportstar.jpg

I don't think the various organizations have addressed it yet, but I expect that they'd probably start issuing limitations to standard or transport category aircraft soon.

As for flying an LSA in IFR, I don't know if the rules prohibit this generally, but believe all of them have the VFR-ONLY limitation in their type certificate, and that has to be changed as well as getting all the required equipment installed. Not a trivial thing, even for a standard airplane not originally type certified for IFR.

TMetzinger said:
I don't think the various organizations have addressed it yet, but I expect that they'd probably start issuing limitations to standard or transport category aircraft soon.

As for flying an LSA in IFR, I don't know if the rules prohibit this generally, but believe all of them have the VFR-ONLY limitation in their type certificate, and that has to be changed as well as getting all the required equipment installed. Not a trivial thing, even for a standard airplane not originally type certified for IFR.

Even if the Angel Flight allows it, most (but not all) AF missions involve two passengers.

lancefisher said:
Even if the Angel Flight allows it, most (but not all) AF missions involve two passengers.
What if you take a mother with her 18 month old child?

BTW: I'm seeing LSAs are coming into the FBO rental fleet. What's next, something like Ourplane LSA?

Richard said:
What if you take a mother with her 18 month old child?

BTW: I'm seeing LSAs are coming into the FBO rental fleet. What's next, something like Ourplane LSA?

Unless you have three seats, it's not gonna fly.

TMetzinger said:
As for flying an LSA in IFR, I don't know if the rules prohibit this generally, but believe all of them have the VFR-ONLY limitation in their type certificate,

Nope... There are several certified for IFR now, like the Tecnam P92 Echo Super, Zodiac XLi, sportsplanes.com C42, Breezer, and Skylark...

Note that Jabiru engines and Rotax engines with "UL" (uncertified) in the model number preclude the aircraft from being used IFR.

Note also that you cannot fly IFR as a sport pilot - Gotta have private + instrument, even for an LSA.

Back