Using IR cameras to detect embeded thunderstorms?

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
I was reading some pilot write ups on an Enhanced Flight Vision System (FLIR) and saw they were operating it to spot thunderstorms. It made me wonder how useful a FLIR camera might actually be at detecting embedded thunderstorms. This is really just a curiosity question. Googling around yielded nothing. I'd love to see what one looks like.

I know IR satellites can detect convective activity from above, due to the spatial patterns of thermal anomalies associated with strong updrafts. But using that approach horizontally (ie. like a weather radar in a plane) seems challenging. The IR signal from an embedded updraft would get masked by the surrounding clouds between you and the storm. It’s an interesting thought anyway.

Most of the EVS/EFVS systems on the market for biz jets or commercially aircraft are not simple IR (FLIR) cameras. They are almost exclusively a combination of multiple sensors fused into a single image, quite a bit more advanced than just a IR camera

I fly with a EFVS (combined in a HUD) for work. It has its uses, but definitely has its limitations. The biggest drawback is that it does not do well with wet particulates (clouds). I don't think it would be very useful at all for detecting embedded thunderstorms because the cloud would wash out any forward vision you may have.

It will penetrate through the thinner bottoms of clouds and that's really why we have it. With the EFVS, we're allowed to start an approach with less than the minimum required on the the IAP, and we are also allowed to continue below the DA using only EFVS cues to 100' AFE, at which time we have to have natural vision to land.

Where the EFVS shines is in dry stuff like smoke, smog, haze. It cuts right through that and makes Bejing, Delhi, etc. look CAVU. Also good at night being able to look out and see towering CU and being able to deviate around them visually.

I was reading some pilot write ups on an Enhanced Flight Vision System (FLIR) and saw they were operating it to spot thunderstorms. It made me wonder how useful a FLIR camera might actually be at detecting embedded thunderstorms. This is really just a curiosity question. Googling around yielded nothing. I'd love to see what one looks like.

Here you go:
83061220-6AD4-41FB-BADA-E1D027DD07B4.jpeg

Took this climbing out of Hong Kong the other day. Radar was showing a pretty good storm off to the left and smaller one to the right. Impossible to see in the dark, but with the EFVS working I could plainly see that we would pass well to the right of the biggest buildup and the stuff to our right wasn't going to be an issue.

One look equals 1,000 sweeps. But, if I was in the clouds, the EFVS would have been worthless.

Not sure about embedded t storms, but the Cirrus ir camera is good for seeing clouds at night.

Back