Using FlyQ (question)

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Flyers,

I have a student using FlyQ as his GPS and flight planning tool for his IFR training. Can this app provide a radial or inbound course to a fix for holding?

Gene

Your student wants to use FlyQ as primary for a hold?

Yikes.

If the "fix" is a VOR, any chart app can provide a radial. If not, all of them seem to provide it, but not easily (you have to go into the nav log, or else use some arcane definition of a user waypoint). Note that the VOR radial and measured course usually differ by a few degrees.

It's A LOT easier to use OBS mode on a real GPS. Or a decent VOR receiver.

For fuel planning, a much more significant effect than a radial that turns out to be 240 instead of 250 is that the holds and approaches are flown at slower than cruise speed.

Your student wants to use FlyQ as primary for a hold?

Yikes.

If the "fix" is a VOR, any chart app can provide a radial. If not, all of them seem to provide it, but not easily (you have to go into the nav log, or else use some arcane definition of a user waypoint). Note that the VOR radial and measured course usually differ by a few degrees.

It's A LOT easier to use OBS mode on a real GPS. Or a decent VOR receiver.

For fuel planning, a much more significant effect than a radial that turns out to be 240 instead of 250 is that the holds and approaches are flown at slower than cruise speed.

Thanks for the response...

No, he's not using the app for primary nav. He has an IFR cert. GPS (430W) and he has 2 Nav-Com radio's which are his primary means.

He presented this question to me when he saw me set up a holding radial on my iPad using Garmin Pilot. There you put in the VOR, the radial, and the distance (all using 3 digits) eg. RBV236020 RBV.

That would represent flying the Robbinsville 236 radial to Robbinsville and asking Garmin Pilot App to draw the radial course line from RBV out to 20 miles. ForeFlight can do this too, but they have a slightly different way of entering it, but it's basically the same. Maybe FF requires commas between the numbers or some such thing.

Just academically he asked if FlyQ can do that. I didn't know, nor did I have the time to tinker with the app. Sooo, hence my post.

Gene

Last edited:
Back