"User Fees" to non-pilots?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I have to do a 'persuasive speech' in my speech class next week so I figured I might as well do it on something I actually give a hoot about, so I'm thinking I'll try to persuade everyone to join the "User Fees are Bad" side of the argument.

The other folks in the class are pretty much clueless when it comes to aviation in general, so how can I relate this topic to them in a manner that would make them join our battle?

I'm scouring the AOPA and EAA websites gathering statistics to back up my points, but I need something that will really draw them in. They are a pretty diverse group, so finding a particular subject that I can use as a "it can happen to you" analogy is proving pretty tough.

Right now, I'm thinking that I'll use the AOPA's list of Europe's fees and relate those costs into my trip to Vegas - which I did an 'informative speech' on a couple of weeks ago and had them begging for more info afterwards.

Also, I'm thinking of playing the "taxation without representation" card in regards to the point of allowing the FAA to set fees and spending without any insight by Congress.

What am I missing? There has to be something out there that I can use to really draw folks in on this. Since it's a college class, the "down with government!" fires should be easy to get stoked.

Here is a letter that a pilot-and-aviation-lawyer friend of mine here in Houston wrote to our congressman:

[name]
[address]

Re: My strong opposition to the deadly aviation tax increase proposed in the President’s budget

Dear [name];

I wish to express my strong opposition to the deadly aviation tax increase proposed in the President’s budget and ask you to oppose any legislation which implements this ill-considered measure.

Don’t fix what is not broken. For decades, air traffic control (“ATC”) services in the United States have been paid for by a combination of taxes on aviation fuels for all types of civilian aircraft, and by a ticket tax on airline tickets. While the airspace system is largely designed to facilitate the airlines’ operations at a few dozen massive “hub” airports (which have very little non-airline traffic), the current funding mechanism has efficiently ensured that all airspace users pay their fair share of the cost for these services. Currently, the larger the aircraft the more fuel it uses, and the longer the flight the more fuel it uses and therefore the more taxes it pays.

“User fees” mean taxation without representation. The newly proposed aviation taxes have been referred to as “User fees”. This is a carefully crafted misnomer, which reflects that the side that controls the language in politics controls the debate. "User fees" sounds free-market and egalitarian. It is actually a substantial tax increase that will fall largely on individuals and small businesses. This is not only a semantic distinction. By styling this massive regressive tax increase as “User Fees”, the tax increase proponents also intend to take control over this wholly new tax away from elected representatives and instead place it in the hands of the struggling, inefficient airline industry, which now apparently sees all other forms of civilian aviation as competition.

“User fees” are taxes that will kill people. Under the proposed tax plan, every time a pilot contacts or uses air traffic control (“ATC”) services there will be a direct charge. It should be patently obvious that some pilots will make the decision not to call ATC because they don't want to spend the money, or are afraid their employer will penalize them or fire them. This will not just be a private aviation problem; it will affect the airlines, too. With so many airlines in bankruptcy or in financial jeopardy, it is not hard to imagine the tremendous pressure on airline pilots not to be the one who incurred the greatest ATC charges for the month/quarter/year. Sooner or later, this tax increase will kill people. Not only is such a plan deadly, it is grossly inefficient. The new aviation taxes will require a massive new bureaucracy to collect the tax, and turn air traffic controllers into collection agents. The only way to avoid undermining air safety and creating a massive new bureaucracy to boot is to make sure the decision to use ATC or not is made on the ground, like it is now through the existing, efficient and successful aviation fuel tax.

“User fees” will tax an important American industry out of existence. This type of aviation tax scheme has proved woefully inefficient in Australia and Canada and has severely crippled those countries’ non-airline civilian aviation industries. Private aviation provides a vital transportation link to over 5,000 communities in the US that do not have airline service. Furthermore, instead of being ultra-expensive play toys of the very rich, most private aircraft provide efficient and economical transportation for individuals and small businesses. In turn, there are thousands of small businesses throughout the country that support our nation’s private aviation fleet. Allowing the airlines to tax private aviation out of existence would be a travesty and would cost tens of thousands of jobs.

The National Airspace System benefits all Americans. Private aviation and the airlines are not the only ones who benefit from ATC. Anyone who takes comfort knowing that medivac helicopters are available in case of emergency, fire fighting aircraft are available to respond to fires, police helicopters and airplanes patrol their communities and FBI, DHS, Customs and Border Patrol aircraft patrol the country, are deriving a valuable benefit from ATC, even if they never personally fly anywhere. Additionally, ATC provides a substantial benefit to the military. I am an active pilot and cannot think of a flight over 2 hours in length where ATC I was talking to was not also assisting military aircraft. Then there are those that benefit from material carried on planes of all sizes, including mail, Federal Express and UPS packages, lab results, checks, seafood and a whole host of conveniences that are part of the fabric of our culture, and would not be possible without aviation.

Ultimately, this debate is about individual liberty. The freedom to fly through the sky to a destination of your choosing, or to no place in particular is a uniquely American liberty. If the airline industry is successful in taxing other forms of aviation out of existence, what will be next? Motorcycles? Firearms? Personal watercraft? SUVs? Where would we be today if, in the early 1960s, the passenger rail lines had succeeded in lobbying Congress to make all interstates into tollways in order to protect their monopoly on interstate transportation?

I would be pleased to provide you with additional information about this issue, and the importance of private aviation to me, my small business and my clients. Thank you for your attention to this vitally important issue.

Sincerely,

George Andrew (“Drew”) Coats

Naw scare 'em. Tell them how pilots will not use the safety services and will be crashing into each other all over the place, metal raining down on playgrounds, bodies everywhere. IT WILL BE CARNAGE!!

IMO you are going to have a hard time convincing them that it "could happen to them". If you want to demonstrate to them an analogy they could understand, possibly you could depict the aviation system as it might be accomplished if they attempted it with automobiles.

If you only drove on unpaved roads, it would be free. (uncontrolled airspace)
Every time you wanted to enter a paved area you would have to pay a toll. (contolled airspace) Every time you wanted to change from one paved area to another (one road to another, parking lot to road, etc.) you would again pay a toll.
If you wanted to enter a city, you would pay yet another toll based on the size of the city. (B, C, D, airspaces)
You would have to call, and pay, a government approved entity prior to each time you went for a drive, wherever it is (country, city, off road). Because if anything happened that might have been prevented had you called, your insurance would be invalid. (AFSS Briefing)
The government would have the power to, at any time, and without warning or signs, prohibit (with a range of penalties up to and including death through military interception) vehicular traffic in large area's. (TFR's) You would be able to be aware of, and avoid most of these area's if you make the above mentioned phone call prior to your drive.
You would continue to pay taxes on each gallon of gas, just as you have for the last 50 years or so. A tax that built the massive road system we now enjoy. The new fees would go to the companies that the government would now allow to bid on and control these roads. These companies would be free to charge whatever rates they wanted, based on whatever the drivers were willing to pay, since we are now basing the highway/road system on a business model in order to let the market place improve the system.

But, like I said, I don't think the automobile drivers would accept such a system. Since there are far more of them than there are of us, I don't think the politicians are that dumb.....Yet.

Mike, that's a great analogy; well written.

For many, that would be a good explanation. But, there will always be those out there who are anti-GA or simply apathetic; it doesn't apply to them. It's going to be an uphill battle with the average non-pilot.

if they are anything like me, they avoid toll roads. ask them how they would like driving if every road is a toll road.

-im one of those fools who will go 20 miles out of the way to save 50 cents on toll. its the principle...

-im one of those fools who will go 20 miles out of the way to save 50 cents on toll. its the principle...

No I-88 on the way to see Leah, huh? Do you take that highway 2 along the river instead? It's surely a prettier drive... :yes:

...when you're not in an 8-commercial-vehicle convoy at 1 in the morning in pouring rain, anyway. :no:

The new fees would go to the companies that the government would now allow to bid on and control these roads.

And don't forget that the whole idea would have come from the trucking companies, who want to pay lower fees and claim that a car uses the road just as much as a truck...

United CEO Glenn Tilton received a pay package worth as much as $39 million after he imposed pay cuts on pilots and flight crews. More importantly, after the $15 billion bailout of the airlines enacted by congress which affected each American taxpayer. Of the $15 billion, $5 billion was earmarked for direct payments to stabilize the nation's air transportation system. Now they want another $5 billion to fix the same thing they didn't fix less than 5 years ago.

United CEO Glenn Tilton received a pay package worth as much as $39 million after he imposed pay cuts on pilots and flight crews. More importantly, after the $15 billion bailout of the airlines enacted by congress which affected each American taxpayer. Of the $15 billion, $5 billion was earmarked for direct payments to stabilize the nation's air transportation system. Now they want another $5 billion to fix the same thing they didn't fix less than 5 years ago.
Not only "No." but, "HELL NO!"

If a CEO organized cost cutting measures that reduced losses substantially, a reasonable bonus would be in order. But, if that CEO was there at the onset of the losses, he deserves nothing but the boot. If he got the money from the Feds, he deserves nothing at all. Well, buy him a weekend at Disney World. He'd fit right in there.

No I-88 on the way to see Leah, huh? Do you take that highway 2 along the river instead? It's surely a prettier drive... :yes:

...when you're not in an 8-commercial-vehicle convoy at 1 in the morning in pouring rain, anyway. :no:

yes thats what I did when i was living in Cedar Rapids. and the drive along the river is much prettier. Now I just go across on Highway 20, which is also a very pretty drive after dubuque.

got stuck behind a semi last night though. the hills were rough on it. i felt sorry for the guy on one hand and was anxious to find an area to pass (there aren't any) on the other.

It's always interesting to hear the other side of the story. I'm still opposed to the new plan, but they did ease my mind on a couple of things in this factsheet that I just found on the FAA website. Most notably that we won't be charged for contacting any ATC station, just for landing at the 30 "major hub" airports.
http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=8747
I'm cross-posting this in several forums, so if you read it more than once, my apologies.

It's always interesting to hear the other side of the story. I'm still opposed to the new plan, but they did ease my mind on a couple of things in this factsheet that I just found on the FAA website. Most notably that we won't be charged for contacting any ATC station, just for landing at the 30 "major hub" airports.
http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=8747
I'm cross-posting this in several forums, so if you read it more than once, my apologies.

camel_rt.jpg

That's how it starts. If they need more money then they will make more class B or extend the fees to class C, D, and E airspace. Camel's nose under the tent.

Gave a "Persuasive" speech as my final speech in class tonight. Used the FAA Funding Bill as my fodder. Got a 94% on it and actually had a class full of non-pilots asking some good questions afterwards. If nothing else, I think they'll at least second guess the info they are force-fed this summer when the airlines make their big "pre-vote blitz".

I basically took the FAA's recent "Fact Sheet" and rebutted their "facts" with info I found across the 'net. Once I had the project done, I stumbled onto this site: http://www.aviationacrossamerica.org/pubs/Setting_the_Record.cfm which would have made the project much easier, but at least I got some good investigative work done.

~4-5 hrs of research for a 5-9 minute speech. Fun stuff!

had a class full of non-pilots asking some good questions afterwards. If nothing else, I think they'll at least second guess the info they are force-fed this summer when the airlines make their big "pre-vote blitz".

Good work Chris! :yes: Now, do you think you could give the same speech in front of Congress? :goofy:

Good work Chris! :yes: Now, do you think you could give the same speech in front of Congress? :goofy:

Suuuuure. A lot of my info came from testimony of different individuals (Phil Boyer, Calvin Scovel III, etc) in front of congressional subcommittees.

It was actually pretty interesting to get knee deep in this stuff myself instead of just reading AOPA's bullet points. It's highly recommended for everyone. :D

Back