Useful or cool aviation apps on your device.... what do you use?

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
I of course use Foreflight, and I like CloudAhoy as well.

What other useful/fun apps do you use?

I use Garmin Pilot, AeroWeather, and MyFlightBook.

Didn't cloudahoy go to a subscription/pay format?

I have sportys e6b app

I know this isn't what you asked, but it's what happens. The most used app on my nexus 7 when flying, by watts expended and time used is....

PlayerPro music player. :)

(Followed by Garmin Pilot, but... mp3s over bluetooth to my Zulu2's is awesome.)

My favorites...

Garmin Pilot (iPad and Android phone)
LogTen Pro for iPad
logbook Pro (iPad and Android. Yeah I know, I'm a logbook nerd!)
FltPlan.com apps (FltPlan Mobile and FltPlan Go) for Android and iPad
Aviation W&B for iPad
Appventive Weight & Balance for Android
Sportys E6B for iPad and Android

I'll throw this in as well...I use Numbers for iPad to, among other things, keep track of my Flight Instructing activities (CFI pay, student sign offs, aircraft checkouts, logging ground school, time etc.). I also use a spread sheet to keep track of expenses for my personal plane. See, I told ya I was a logbook nerd! :D

Avare for charts, plates and sometimes navigation.
Aviation Weather from NOAA for METARS, TAFs, etc., by airport.
My-Cast Weather for radar and forecasts by city.
Gmail to stay in touch with the world.
iBooks and Google Play Books.

Dad-blast the bozos at Runway Finder, I miss NavMonster, the most useful aviation site ever built!! :mad:

all on my android
Aircraft Horizon Free
Avare
Aviation Tools Free
Aviation Weather NOAA
FlightTools E6B
FltPlan Mobile
FlyQ Pocket
UTC Time
My Tracks

Ipad mini
Fore Flight

Pilot calc is a pretty good one that seems to be missing from list.

WingX Pro, WnB Pro and MyFlightBook

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Garmin Pilot
Aviation Calculator
FltPln Mobile
Flight Tools E6B
Aviation Tools Free

Dad-blast the bozos at Runway Finder, I miss NavMonster, the most useful aviation site ever built!! :mad:

What'd RunwayFinder do? I think you're thinking of the bastards that ALSO killed RunwayFinder... FlightPrep. May they burn in hell.

iOS aviation apps, in order of how much I use them:

Foreflight. This one gets used so much I should make it bold and in a much bigger font size. 'nuf said.

LogTen Pro. I have this on both iOS devices and my computer. Haven't touched my paper logbook in way too long...

SkewTLogPro. Good for figuring out icing and tops when flying IFR.

E6B Pro and WnB Pro by our own Jesse Angell. Good, clean apps for their obvious intended purposes.

Most of the others don't have regular usage, but a few worth noting 'cuz they're just cool:

ARPort. This is an augmented reality app that puts a pin on any airports you point your phone camera at.

Plane Finder. Kind of a combo FlightAware + ADS-B airplane locating app that shows you things on a map as well as having an augmented reality component that (theoretically, at least) puts a tag on that jet trail you're looking at. It's somewhat hampered by the delay in the FAA's feed if it's not a plane with ADS-B.

FlashPass. This allows you to file eApis quite easily, it's a must for international flying.

Xavion. I wish this had a better UI, worked with Stratus, and didn't mind being in the background, because what it can do is really cool. I guess I also need a 2nd iPad so I can have a full screen of both ForeFlight and Xavion.

Right! Sounds like someone just doesn't know how to use it!

Except I agree with him. It's slow, inaccurate, unreliable, misleading, crash-prone, and requires way too many button presses just to get a bearing from a point you're not at right now.

It's fine for planning purposes.

So, what are the two of us missing?

I know this isn't what you asked, but it's what happens. The most used app on my nexus 7 when flying, by watts expended and time used is....

PlayerPro music player. :)

(Followed by Garmin Pilot, but... mp3s over bluetooth to my Zulu2's is awesome.)

Unfortunately the Bose only allow Bluetooth phone calls and not streaming music. As far as I know anyways. There is an aux input though...

I tried Garmin Pilot and hated it, maybe I don't know how to use it, I don't know, it just felt wrong. Foreflight is intuitive and even my dumb-azz can use it without much instruction:)

:lol:
Except I agree with him. It's slow, inaccurate, unreliable, misleading, crash-prone, and requires way too many button presses just to get a bearing from a point you're not at right now.

It's fine for planning purposes.

So, what are the two of us missing?

Im not trying to be sarcastic but I have no idea what you two are missing.

I have used WingX, foreflight and Garmin Pilot extensively (mostly WingX and GP) and find all three of them to be excellent apps that do everything that they claim to do. For me personally I have chosen GP as my go to app for all of my VFR flying and IFR flight planning, filing and flying. I gave up paper charts completely a year and a half ago and have used GP on numerous IFR flights since then and found that it does everything that I expect it to (and then some!). I have never experienced ANY of the issues that you describe above. I primarily use it on my ipad but I recently started using it as a back up on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone mounted to my yoke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Not publicly available, but for any of the DOD types out there, the iPad app Phaero from the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency is not bad. Free EFB, but you have to have a CAC for initial account creation. Might not have all the bells and whistles of some of the others available, but the price is not bad.

Sent from my iPad using ... Wait a minute, I didn't type that...

Was on Foreflight but switched to the Garmin Pilot on both iPhone and iPad and I also just got the GDL39 3D which I love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have many of the above apps but the one that I use more than anything else is:

Weight and Balance Pro
WnBPro
http://www.wnbpro.com/

Does you weight and balance calculating empty weight, oil, fuel, passengers and baggage REALLY well!

I have many of the above apps but the one that I use more than anything else is:

Weight and Balance Pro
WnBPro
http://www.wnbpro.com/

Does you weight and balance calculating empty weight, oil, fuel, passengers and baggage REALLY well!

Yep :wink2:

What do you guys recommend for a good e6b for iOS, I have myE6B but the decent calculator doesn't always work and it's missing stuff like point of no return and a few other calculations.

image.jpg

PocketGrib is not specifically for aviation but can give you a lot of data for long-ish term forecasting. It doesn't give you everything a full featured GRIB viewer for a computer would though

Was on Foreflight but switched to the Garmin Pilot on both iPhone and iPad and I also just got the GDL39 3D which I love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched to Garmin Pilot earlier this year after using ForeFlight. The latest version of GP has really come a long way in the past year and a half or so.

Plus is pairs with my D2 watch, which is a nice bonus.

edit:
it also works on Android devices if you wanted to save some money over an iPad

Foreflight for planning and inflight navigation.

Gyronimo performance apps for W&B calculations, t&l distances etc..

Checkmate for checklists. I'm a BIG fan of the interactive checklists.

Avare - has anyone figured out how to use it for anything other than just a chart or plate? Spent half hour getting frustrated at the crappy lack of intuitive UI....!

Avare - has anyone figured out how to use it for anything other than just a chart or plate? Spent half hour getting frustrated at the crappy lack of intuitive UI....!

I use Avare all the time for flight planning, for the AFD and for the moving map in the air. I agree that it often doesn't do what you think it will do so a little practice is required. I think the developer's first language is not English which may lead to some of the misscommunications.

For Android with a Nexus 7 tablet:

Primary navigation/charts: Avare

24/hr clock: UTC Time

Quick weather check: METAM

In Depth weather check: NOAA Aviation Weather

Where's the love for FlightPro (formerly Avilution) maps? On my Android tablet and phone. Works with external devices for wx if desired.

Back