Used autopilot question

rozenfeld57mh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sam Rozenfeld
Hello,

Is it possible to legally install a used autopilot in a certified aircraft ?

it can be a challenge though. If the make and model of the AP you want to install was an option on the original equipment list of your aircraft and you can get the installation instructions, it can be installed without a STC. If not you Wll need an STC from the manufacturer. If you have an Stec AP, some have said they will sell you one for around $1000 but you have to send it back to them to be recertified and installed by one of their dealers. Other manufacturers will vary.

If your plane already had an autopilot installed but died. you can install a used AP of the same make and model to repair it.

it can be a challenge though. If the make and model of the AP you want to install was an option on the original equipment list of your aircraft and you can get the installation instructions, it can be installed without a STC. If not you Wll need an STC from the manufacturer. If you have an Stec AP, some have said they will sell you one for around $1000 but you have to send it back to them to be recertified and installed by one of their dealers. Other manufacturers will vary.

If your plane already had an autopilot installed but died. you can install a used AP of the same make and model to repair it.

I've heard (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the stec STC was serial # specific and installing an stec into another certified aircraft can be relatively expensive.

I've heard (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the stec STC was serial # specific and installing an stec into another certified aircraft can be relatively expensive.

Correct, you need a new STC for your plane.

There was a time (right after Meggit bought S-Tec IIRC) when they wouldn't sell the STC without a new autopilot and this meant the only legal use for a used S-Tec was as a replacement of the same unit or an installation in a homebuilt. But they've gone back to what they originally required which is a bench check of all components (at the factory I think), resetting of the servo clutch torques, and the purchase of a new installation kit. I think for their simple units (20/30/40/50) this costs something like $1500 but I'm sure S-Tec would provide an accurate quote for a specific model and airplane combination if you asked them. Of course this is in addition to whatever installation charges you'd pay although the new installation kit might save some on the install time vs reusing bracketry from a prior installation on a similar airplane or fabricating same for a different one.

Back