Use sport pilot Cert to cut down on PPL overall cost?

a33321654

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
wanna-be-pilot
Hi all,

Readers digest version of my history: always had a thing for aviation. I was the kid playing hours upon hours on the sim flying around. In HS i got into RC airplanes, nitro then electrics. My wife got me a discovery/first training flight for christmas. Little does she know this may have been the most expensive gift ever...

I'm taking this flight this Sunday and have been doing some research to try and figure out if it's even plausible to go get my PPL.

Is it advisable for one to get their Sport Pilots license and then work towards PPL to cut down on rental costs etc?

I'm planning on learning all my ground school before continuing with lesson 2 etc since i will have a few months before i can pull lessons off financially. I've got the Student Pilot's Manual on the way and also can borrow some older training materials from someone to study on my own.

My theory is that the more i learn on my own the less i will have to pay for ground school. Same with SIM time. Granted nothing beats Seat time, i figure basic skills will help cut down instruction time.

I live in the Phx metro area. There is a sport pilot training center at Scottsdale KSDL so i'm guessing they also make you get your "tower controlled airspace" endorsement and some other rating that would be required for this area.

Any thoughts?

Seems like cheapest plane and instructor around here runs $158 an hour. Hence why i'm trying to figure out if Sport Pilot would make sense first...

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I can't wait for this Sunday. Odds are i will be 100% hooked. Why are all the expensive hobbies the most fun? :wink2:

Welcome to POA. I don't have a link for you, but if you do a search, this question has come up before. I took my discovery flight in an LSA and when I asked the CFI he told me to go for my Private. Less restrictions, etc. And I'm glad I did - flying four seaters such as 172s is needed when I have a tall person or anyone over 200lbs plus there is room in the back for a dog / luggage / other person etc. The heavier plane also has added capabilities that the little ones do not.

Kimberly

go to vfrmap.com and find all the airfields near you

then go to airnav.com and enter them in, look at the FBO's and call the ones who advertise rentals and flight training and ask for rates.

$158 seems pretty steep. Here they rent brand new LSA's for $90 an hour. You need your own insurance, about 2-300 a year. My club has cessna 152's for $67 an hour now. Look for a flying club.. google is your friend....

Go ahead and go for the private pilot's license.

You can get a private pilot rating in a light sport aircraft as long as you have a "real" flight instructor - not a Sport Pilot only instructor - so if the LSA is less costly to rent, learn in the LSA. However, if you get instruction from a SP instructor, it will not count toward the PP and you would have to start over for the PP.

What makes a difference is the instructor and instructor's ratings, not the aircraft.
(note: If the LSA does not have gyro instruments / radio navigation / lights you would have to do some flying (and the flight test) in a better equipped aircraft)

If the plan is to get a private, stopping for a SP check ride along the way will not help reduce costs.

Sim time (I assume you mean computer games like Microsoft Flight Sim) - can be a mixed bag, you do learn things, but some of them are bad habits that you will have to unlearn - relying too much on instruments, the sim has no "feel", the interaction with the ground is totally wrong and can lead you to bad habits (what works well in the game is bad in an aircraft).

Now, for a PP, you will need a medical. Know BEFORE you go. If you try for a medical and fail, you are locked out of sport pilot. On the other hand, if you fail to try for a medical you are likely OK for sport pilot. No, it does not make sense, it's just the way it is.

FAA has a bunch of stuff on line for free (Airman's Information Manual, Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge, etc.)

This may not be what you want to hear, but the least expensive way to get your certificate is to save up until you can afford the whole training syllabus and then just do it. If each lesson is a few months apart you will spend most of your time re-learning what you did on the last lesson, and that wastes a lot of time. In the beginning, the forgetting curve is pretty steep!

That having been said, not many of us were able to do it that way. I did it one weekend at a time, and with the New England winter weather, I had to cancel many lessons for Wx. It ended up taking me 72 hours of instruction and 15 months.

Kimberly is right - if you are serious about this flying thing you will want a PP-ASEL certificate for its added capabilities. But you lose little in terms of training time and $$ by getting the Sport first (except for an additional checkride fee and associated prep work) and then going on to get the PP-ASEL. So have at it, enjoy the flying, and post your progress here.

-Skip

ps: Time to start sounding like a pilot! For some reason many pilots get their knickers in a wad when they hear people refer to a pilot's license.... it is a pilot's certificate. You don't need the wrath of the language nazis at this stage of what we hope is a long, fun, and interesting career as a pilot, regardless of how far up the ladder of certificates you go. Start, and start enjoying!

Last edited:
I think Light and Sporty has it right... if you want a Private Pilot license, best to go for it from the start. If all you want/need/can qualify for is a Sport Pilot license, then do that.

And DO be very, very careful treading the waters toward a medical certificate. The older you get, the more things-that-are-nothing might hold you back - leaving you denied or deferred (and thus ineligible to pursue even Sport Pilot until you have them sorted out).

In terms of cost efficiency, it's best in any case to be able to fly at least twice a week and to be able to do so until the certificate is attained (which will likely take more than the minimum hours, unless you are a wunderkind). (Ideally three times a week, but weather and maintenance issues can become a factor.)

I think Light and Sporty has it right... if you want a Private Pilot license, best to go for it from the start. If all you want/need/can qualify for is a Sport Pilot license, then do that.

And DO be very, very careful treading the waters toward a medical certificate. The older you get, the more things-that-are-nothing might hold you back - leaving you denied or deferred (and thus ineligible to pursue even Sport Pilot until you have them sorted out).

In terms of cost efficiency, it's best in any case to be able to fly at least twice a week and to be able to do so until the certificate is attained (which will likely take more than the minimum hours, unless you are a wunderkind). (Ideally three times a week, but weather and maintenance issues can become a factor.)

+ ONE

What Joe is saying without saying it explicitly is that one common obstacle is a class of drugs called SSRIs: Things like Ritalin, Adderall, and many others like them. If you have taken these for more than six months even in childhood, you will likely be denied if you just waltz into the AME's office for a FAA class 3 medical. If you have this problem, call Dr. Bruce Chien in Peoria IL who specializes in difficult (from the FAA perspective) issuances. Be very open and honest with him, and he will tell you what you need to do to get the third class... or if that isn't possible, he'll tell you that too so you can go for the Sport Pilot certificate and get up in the air.

You can go to the Medical Matters forum and post him a private message, too.

Best wishes!

-Skip

Last edited:
As someone that bought an LSA with the intention of getting a sport pilot rating but changed his mind halfway through and got a PP, I agree with everything that has been said.

hi all,

thanks for the warm welcome. I've been browsing Pilots of America for a few days, tried a few searches but wasn't completely satisfied with what i could find.

Kimberly - Yes my main goal is PPL or PPC as it should be called ;). Sounds like i should just start out with PPL when it can be done in one swoop. aka not months inbetween. I'm 6'4" so i'm sure most LSA's would feel like the old school mini cooper.

Renjamin Franklin - thanks for the advice, i'll check out those urls. From my own browsing around it seems plane and instructor could be as cheap as 140-145 but i'd have to drive an hour min each way. I'll look into those urls'.

I've been looking into renters insurance, seems like its a "liability only" kinda thing if i could compare it to car insurance.. It covers the plane im renting but if i do something that is my fault and cause damage to another airplane for example i would have to pay out of pocket the damages to the other plane.

Light and Sporty Guy - thanks for the info, I had read about the different CFI subparts H CFIA vs subpart K etc, but didn't think about gyro instruments ,lights etc. good point.

Sounds like straight for PPL/PPC is the way to go once $$ is saved up. Thanks for the info on the free reading materials.

re: Medical - I've read one too many posts about how stringent and ruthless these can be. I'm in my mid 20's and think i'm a healthy guy, buy might be worth looking into further. Can't believe if u fail ur done forever.... wow. Can't imagine being an airline pilot and not being able to get class 1.. then what do you do? career change.. yikes.. (my goal is not to change careers just to fly for fun.

Skip Miller - Your right best thing to do is wait until all $$ are lined up and you can do it as quickly as possible. I have a day job so it'd have to be a sat+sunday kinda thing with the occasional day off. PP-ASEL it is!

re: weather. I live in PHX and in the summer it can get above 110 outside easy. I'm assuming during those temps its impossible to keep cool in a Cessna etc. Guessing those days require EARLY morning flights if at all?

JoeSelch - thanks for the info.. Medical is something i should figure out before i invest all the $$ into flying.. I think id pass fine. Hope i dont get all nervous when i go.. hate to fail it for "white coat" syndrome or whatever higher blood pressure while being tested is called.

ha. I hope i'm wunderkind enough to do it in least amount of hours possible and yet still practice plenty etc.. 50+ hours seems to be the minimum to get all that done....

Thanks all!

If money is an issue consider this:

Written Test (I paid $200)

Checkride (plus renting the plane): I paid $350 plus 2.5 Hobbs (had to make 3 flights, one to go solo to the DPE at 0.5 hours, one to do the checkride itself for 1.5 hours, one to go home at 0.5 hours)

You won't have to take the written again (I don't think, but I could be wrong if you wait more than two years you may have to) - but then again I forget if there is a DIFFERENT WRITTEN TEST for each.

But you DO have to pay for the checkride again. So right there it could be hundreds of dollars more just to do the "two certs" thing instead of the one.

And at six foot four I wonder how many LSA's would fit you at all. I can't fit men in my tiny 152 who are over 6'1" tall.

Kimberly

Kimberly - Yes my main goal is PPL or PPC as it should be called ;). Sounds like i should just start out with PPL when it can be done in one swoop. aka not months inbetween. I'm 6'4" so i'm sure most LSA's would feel like the old school mini cooper.

Wide / heavy is typically more of a problem than tall. Lower cost trainers (e.g. Cessna 150/152) can be tight. My LSA has a ton of headroom, but widthwise? You have to be good friends...

re: Medical - I've read one too many posts about how stringent and ruthless these can be. I'm in my mid 20's and think i'm a healthy guy, buy might be worth looking into further. Can't believe if u fail ur done forever.... wow. Can't imagine being an airline pilot and not being able to get class 1.. then what do you do? career change.. yikes..
Denial.
That's the key. There is nothing wrong. I don't need to see a doctor. Up to a point, that works. Then they find you unconcious on the floor of an FBO mens room (not making that up). Then it doesn't work.

re: weather. I live in PHX and in the summer it can get above 110 outside easy. I'm assuming during those temps its impossible to keep cool in a Cessna etc. Guessing those days require EARLY morning flights if at all?

Sissy. :wink2:

Just fly with the windows open.

The bigger problem is aircraft performance in the heat. In a 150 you may want to stick your arm out the open window and flap to help it climb.

Early morning is good. You also avoid the more vigerous air movement that you find in the heat of the day.

I'm 6'3 and find the Skycatcher and other LSAs much roomier than a 152. But the weight limitations can be a catch if you don't have a jockey-sized CFI.

And you can use an LSA for your private pilot certificate, so if the airplane is cheaper, that can be a plus. But most LSAs are expensive rental ships compared to older airplanes.

If you KNOW you want to get a private pilot certificate (if it's possible), then what I suggest is that:

You train with a "regular" CFI.
Go through the private syllabus in whatever airplane you like, up until you are ready to solo.
At that point, go have a consulation with an AME, but don't apply for a medical certificate. Find out if you'd be medically safe to operate an airplane, and eligible for a third class medical. If you would be eligible, then go back and apply for a medical/student certificate, solo, and go on with the PPL syllabus. If you'd be safe, but not eligible, go to the FSDO or DPE and get a standard student certificate, and go solo and complete the SP syllabus in an LSA.

And if the AME says that you're not safe, then you should continue getting as much dual training as you wish, and fly with a certificated pilot at all times.

Best wishes,

Can't believe if u fail ur done forever.... wow.
This is not strictly true. If the REASON you failed is curable, you just go ahead and cure the condition and re-apply. If you get hung up on the SSRIs that I mentioned before, there is a way out of that, too. It involves developing a wad of paperwork to prove that the original diagnosis was wrong. That path is possibie but it is Expen$ive! So it is best to know the facts before you go in.

If there is a chance you might fail, go see an AME for a consult. Pay cash! The problem comes if you try to file the claim with your insurance company, the good Doc has to put a diagnosis code on the forms... and that code can upset the apple cart. Cash transaction, no insurance claim, you are good to go cure the condition and re-apply.

All this (except SSRIs) is not usually an issue for the ordinary 20-something starting out to learn to fly. Don't let us scare you off.. We're just trying to make you aware of some of the nasty twists and turns that COULD be out there. Even if there is a garden variety problem, with a do-si-do or two, and a call to Peoria, you will be off the ground with minimal time and $ wasted.

Remember, we're all counting on you!

-Skip

Renjamin Franklin - thanks for the advice, i'll check out those urls. From my own browsing around it seems plane and instructor could be as cheap as 140-145 but i'd have to drive an hour min each way. I'll look into those urls'.
Just an FYI, look hard for deals, and don't just check out big schools. If you were getting a sport pilot's certificate in my neck of the woods I have access to two aircraft that rent for $75/hr wet... and the instructor is $40, so you'd be looking at $115/hr. You might be able to find an independent instructor with a Champ or something along those lines who would be a good teacher in a good airplane.

I've been looking into renters insurance, seems like its a "liability only" kinda thing if i could compare it to car insurance.. It covers the plane im renting but if i do something that is my fault and cause damage to another airplane for example i would have to pay out of pocket the damages to the other plane.
Um, NO. You want the renters insurance to cover the hull value of the plane you rent. Hopefully, like 99% of students you will never need it, but if you do need it, even if you just ding a prop or something, it will be very, very cheap.

I am generally telling students that they are better off going straight for private, BUT if they are going to be dragging it out for while due to schedule, have the money to get something knocked out fairly quickly, and want to have some fun, the sport pilot certificate can be a viable option, if one can find a plane cheap enough. My current Cub student will probably finish up his sport pilot with about 25-30 hours of flight time and about $3000-3500 invested in the actual flying (seriously). He will eventually go on to do his Private, but as I told him, when he gets the sport pilot done, he can knock out some of his PP prerequisites such as the cross-countries on his own (without an instructor endorsement), take the written, do the three hours of night, three hours of instrument, and a few checkride prep hours and be good to go.

Ryan

wanna-be,

You got some really outstanding responses in this thread and from some really knowledgable members too.

I haven't been around flying as long as most of the folks posting in this thread, but this is how I see LSA:

It is a great choice, the only choice, for those unable to get a medical. The few LSA pilots that I know fall into that category.

I spent the early part of my life pinching pennies and I FULLY understand your challenge in trying to fund your flying. I read this whole thread and I think that Ryan offered you a really good compromise suggestion in recommending that you save enough money so that you can start your LSA and work straight through it with no delay. I'm repeating, but if you do this MAKE SURE that you're instructor is a full CFI as opposed to an LSA CFI. Your instructional hours from an LSA CFI will not count toward your Private later on!

Also to Ryans suggestion, you can probably find someone with a Cub or other older, certificated aircraft that qualifies LSA, but will be less expen$ive than the new LSA craft.

I went through a challenging 2011 trying to get my Private cert. My biggest challenge wasn't money, but was finding an instructor out here in the boonies and getting him to schedule time to fly with me. The delays between lessons MOST DEFINITELY caused me to spend more money.

Find the plane and instructor, calculate what it will cost for EVERYTHING including instructor, plane, checkride fee, training materials, etc even gas money to drive to the lessons. Add a cushion of about 10 hours to what you and your instructor think that it will take, because things happen. Save up that much money and then dive into it with all four feet!

While you're saving money, download the manuals and other reading material and get your head into flying. Lots of reading on this site and other similar sites will also whet your appetite and get you more and more prepared.

Another way to save money is to get a copy of one of the study guides to use for your written test. Study it thoroughly and then use the Exam4Pilots website to take practice tests. That said, LEARN THE MATERIAL, don't just pass the test.

NOW! The variable in following such a plan that involves saving is YOU. Some people can save money and some can't. This is a whole additional subject. Start putting money in a hiding place and just keep putting money there and have an agreement with your wife that unless the house burns down or one of you become catastrophically ill, that money won't be used for anything else.

Once you get started putting all your extra money in the hiding place, and get committed to the saving project, you will be surprised how fast it grows. Even if you have change at the end of the day, add it to the stash.

Where there's a will there's a way. Don't wait until you're 62 like I did. If you enjoy(ed) your discovery flight and know that it's something you want to do, just commit yourself to it and let your wife know how much it means to you and follow through.

We look forward to following your journey so keep us informed, even if it's nothing more than to ask questions or keep us up to date on your savings progress.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I'm going to be totally honest here... if a student I was counseling was offered to do the SP in a Cessna 162 Skycatcher, for instance, as an alternative to the PP, I would tell them to just shoot straight for the PP in a 172. The costs aren't likely to be that different per hour, and the training quality (the instructor of course being the biggest factor) is not going to be a whole lot different except for it's length. On the other hand, if I had access to a Cub or Champ, and could get it for a reasonable cost, you'll have the additional benefit of probably being a better pilot from the get-go (I feel that way about my current student), as well as the cost savings, and you'll already have a bucket-list item knocked out for the same price (tailwheel endorsement).

Ryan

LSA/Sport Pilot is the FAA's way of getting us out of the ATC system, and away from using GA as a means of legitimate travel.

If you are satisfied with flying around aimlessly to enjoy the "spirit" of flying, then that is fine, but a powered parachute would do the same thing for a lot less.

LSA/Sport Pilot is the FAA's way of getting us out of the ATC system, and away from using GA as a means of legitimate travel.

If you are satisfied with flying around aimlessly to enjoy the "spirit" of flying, then that is fine, but a powered parachute would do the same thing for a lot less.
We can get 'em back in the system, with the Class B/C/D endorsements, and frankly some of these LS aircraft are plenty capable of going places. The new Pipistrel aircraft for instance, you can get in a configuration that will allow you to get somewhere faster than a Skyhawk. I've flown them.

Ryan

I understand Ryan, but with the limitation on speed, and useful load, I find them very mission restricted, and I guess you must fly solo to carry even a small bag. It isn't very practical as a travelling machine, especially for family or business.

I guess it beats sitting on the ground making airplane noises, but I think they should have at least included some more certified GA planes like the C-150/152, or experimentals like some RV's, and similar.

I'm going to be totally honest here... if a student I was counseling was offered to do the SP in a Cessna 162 Skycatcher, for instance, as an alternative to the PP, I would tell them to just shoot straight for the PP in a 172. The costs aren't likely to be that different per hour, and the training quality (the instructor of course being the biggest factor) is not going to be a whole lot different except for it's length. On the other hand, if I had access to a Cub or Champ, and could get it for a reasonable cost, you'll have the additional benefit of probably being a better pilot from the get-go (I feel that way about my current student), as well as the cost savings, and you'll already have a bucket-list item knocked out for the same price (tailwheel endorsement).

Ryan

I think I saw a little bit of this "learning in a taildragger makes you a better pilot" thing yesterday.

An airport friend who passed his checkride a few months before me went for a ride with me in my taildragger. He has a beautiful Beech Musketeer that he has given me a ride in and I loved it. That's the only plane at which he has ever been at the controls until yesterday in mine.

We back taxi'd on the runway for 2,000 feet and I told him to rudder it along to see what he thought. He had plenty of comments but did quite well at it. That was no big deal.

When we got in the air and climbed out a bit, I offered him the controls. His rudder control was not very good. I had to tell him to step on the ball several times. He seemed to naturally keep the left wing quite low, but that could have been because he had never flown from the right seat.

He made lots of comments about how different the plane felt and he asked me a few questions that were complimentary of my skill in the airplane.

If I remember correctly, someone told me that the rudders are somehow connected to the ailerons in a Musketeer. Is this true?

I hope this is not a hijack of the thread since I am trying to comment on whether or not wanna-be might be better off starting in a taildragger like a Cub or Champ.

I understand Ryan, but with the limitation on speed, and useful load, I find them very mission restricted, and I guess you must fly solo to carry even a small bag. It isn't very practical as a travelling machine, especially for family or business.

I guess it beats sitting on the ground making airplane noises, but I think they should have at least included some more certified GA planes like the C-150/152, or experimentals like some RV's, and similar.

In a way the inclusion of bigger airplanes may very well be on it's way. The FAA is currently seriously considering extending the drivers license medical to slightly larger airplanes. This would not allow an LSA pilot to take advantage of anything over 1320 max gross (or whatever the exact number is,) but would allow a person to get a Private on a drivers license under the same medical rules as LSA. It would allow a Private Pilot to fly the slightly larger planes without a medical. There's been some talk about this on the Cessna 140 club site.

In a way the inclusion of bigger airplanes may very well be on it's way. The FAA is currently seriously considering extending the drivers license medical to slightly larger airplanes. This would not allow an LSA pilot to take advantage of anything over 1320 max gross (or whatever the exact number is,) but would allow a person to get a Private on a drivers license under the same medical rules as LSA. It would allow a Private Pilot to fly the slightly larger planes without a medical. There's been some talk about this on the Cessna 140 club site.

That would be a great step, but the FAA moves SLOWLY. I'll believe it when it actually happens. Still, while I really like 140's, and Champs, etc, they are still not pratical travelling machines, but better than flying a Sim at least. :)

That would be a great step, but the FAA moves SLOWLY. I'll believe it when it actually happens. Still, while I really like 140's, and Champs, etc, they are still not pratical travelling machines, but better than flying a Sim at least. :)

If I remember correctly, the thing I was talking about applies up to 180 HP.

The 140 does make a more practical travelling machine than a Champ or Cub. Many of them now have been STC'd with O-200's, have electrical systems, some with complete panels(see below) and can true out well over 100MPH. They're certainly not Bonanza's, but an improvement over a Champ when it comes to traveling.

Attachments

• C140Panel.jpg
    C140Panel.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 7
There's no HP limit for LSAs. It's weight and cruise and stall speeds.

You build an airplane with 5000 HP that doesn't weigh too much, or cruse or stall at too high an airspeed, it's an LSA.

You build an airplane with 5000 HP that doesn't weigh too much, or cruse or stall at too high an airspeed, it's an LSA.

What good is HP if it can't be used for speed, or useful load? :confused:

Heed what the others have said about the medical. I figured that I was a relatively young, healthy person and that it was yet another perfunctory hoop to jump through. It's not. Do a dry run exam beforehand, and look over all of the paperwork. Don't just show up at an AME's office and ask for a medical.

As a fellow lifelong aviation nerd, some words of caution: you don't know what you don't know, and be prepared to unlearn some stuff that you think you know but don't.

That said, I went from discovery flight to PPL. See you in a year and 10 AMUs, and welcome to PoA :)

Wow guys and gals,

Thank you for all the great info. I agree with you all. Aggressive saving plan is in place. Discovery flight is this Sunday in a Cherokee 140 most likely. I know most training is normally in a 172 so I figured try low wing. Not like I have anything to compare it too yet. But whatever. My plan is to take video etc by mounting camera. Will share link when I get it uploaded. I know it'll be super exciting for you guys lol watching a newb take his first flight.

I understand that, but the new proposed waiver is not related to LSA aircraft. It is related to the medical requirements for aircraft up to 180HP.

Doc

Wow guys and gals,

Thank you for all the great info. I agree with you all. Aggressive saving plan is in place. Discovery flight is this Sunday in a Cherokee 140 most likely. I know most training is normally in a 172 so I figured try low wing. Not like I have anything to compare it too yet. But whatever. My plan is to take video etc by mounting camera. Will share link when I get it uploaded. I know it'll be super exciting for you guys lol watching a newb take his first flight.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with training in a Cherokee! There are some instructors who don't like training in them because they don't give a clean stall break. There are other instructors that seem to like to train in them because they don't give a clean stall break.

There won't be anything to laugh at. We all did our waggling around the sky and trying to steer it down the taxiway with the yoke. It's part of learning. Concentrate, soak up as much as you can and have fun!

Enjoy and keep us posted!

Doc

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a 140, cherokees are great airplanes. What doc said is correct however.. lots of folks will recommend you get some stall training in another aircraft, just so you have the experience. The cherokee's stall characteristics are very different! No reason to worry about that now though, start learning and have fun.

Wow guys and gals,

Looking forward to the video.

Kimberly

Back