Use of GoPro during flight training

ethosunum

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
EthosUnum
So i know there are plenty of youtube go pro vids there. I'm more curious on peoples experience of using the go pro during their training.

Is there some utility for reviewing the flight lessons? I'm hoping there is. Of those of you who have done this, to get the best utility for review what have you focused on (in terms of camera position). Horizon? Instruments and Controls? other? I'll be in a DA-20 so i'm thinking mounted upside from the canopy between the two seats facing forward. Horizontal Field of View is ~120 depending on if 16:9 or 17:9.

I have the gopro(only one) already so for me there is a reason itself of "why not" rather than why.

Be sure you purchase the optional audio cable to record headset audio. It greatly enhances at-home review when you can listen to your instructor's comments on your habits while watching your performance. I tend to take a separate audio recorder to pick up the conversation prior to activating the avionics master and following shut-down. You'll miss some real nuggets of information during these times without one.

I use an older ipod that I have with one of those as seen on TV sticky mounts. It works OK only shoots 720P and not as clear as a gopro. I wouldn't say it provides a ton of value as I usually know right away what I did wrong.

Without going into detail as I am embarrassed at my own stupidity. I did watch one of the videos and recognized something I did that I did not notice when I did it. Nothing life threatening just smack yourself in the middle of your forehead with the palm of your hand dumb. So it does have some value.

The one thing I have noticed since I mount it on the passenger side window is that everything is skewed a little so even though you are centered you appear to be further left than you really are so a center mounted camera would be a better option.

It is a great tool! I recorded quite a bit of my flight training as well and review it often.

I use it to document my flights and review my landings/radio work.

You'll notice an improvement in skills overtime if you video enough flights.

I use it for training and it's invaluable for reviewing. I'm in class B so I bought a cable for plugging my headset into the a/c and the camera which has also been huge for helping me with radio calls. I got the cable from flightcam.com.

This is what it sounds like. Skip to 3:00 for the radio stuff.

http://youtu.be/IhaXAyUnLRo

Last edited:
Another thing to try is to put the gopro or whatever camera on your head or cap I borrowed one once and did that it is interesting to note what you spend your time looking.

I use the GoPro Hero 3 a lot during my training. I use the cable to record and review my radio work as well as my landings. It's a great tool as long as you turn it on and forget about it, and concentrate on flying. I mount it to the center roll bar with the clamp and goose neck adapter on the Alarus I train in so I can review how many times I forget to pull carb heat. You get a great view out the front of the plane as well as of the instruments.

Sorry for thread Hijack but what does a GoPro setup cost including camera, Mounts, Audio setup? I'm thinking for grins recording my flights.

Sorry for thread Hijack but what does a GoPro setup cost including camera, Mounts, Audio setup? I'm thinking for grins recording my flights.
Depends which model you want. Newest high-end model is the Hero 4, there's 2 versions, $500 and $400. Then there's the new entry level, just plain Hero for $129. Go read the website formthe details.

The additional mounts, such as the gooseneck will run $30-50. You can find all the pricing on GoPro website. Not much discount anywhere, sorta like Apple computers. Add in the cost of the additional cable and tax and someone must really like you for a Christmas present. Buy at REI and get your rebate.

The one version older model, the 3+ comes in white ($199), silver $299 and the black $399 retail which means you can probably find them somewhat cheaper. Right now Costco has the 3+ black for $350. Buy at Costco, get your AMEX rebate. Warning - they won't last long at Costco.

Last year someone pointed out that the sky divers like the latest and greatest, and you can probably pick up a used Hero3+ on one of those websites.

Last edited:
I used it under the wingtip of my 150 so I could see my landings.

I used mine quite a bit with an audio feed from the intercom. It was most useful for radio work and for Q&A in the air with my cfi. I found it easier to have dialogue with him and transcribe notes at home on my own time, rather than on the ground, paying him while I write.
I used the cheapest gopro at the time with a suction mount on the skylight.

Last edited:
Thought i'd come back and add some things i've learned in case it helps others.

1. Test whatever settings you want to record with prior and ensure it will record non stop with those settings. Even using one of the recommended SD cards, it seems with protune in 2.7k 17:9 24fps all my recordings would randomly stop between 40-80 minutes (with plenty of leftover battery and storage). While 2.7k 16:9 30 fps no protune records until battery is drained without stopping.

2. Ensure however you are mounting the gopro is secure and strong. In my case, it is behind me and i didn't notice it fell till post-flight.

3. If you are using an external battery for your gopro (rather than plugging it in the cig lighter) ensure that battery is on. Since the cig lighter is up front, i choose to use one of my big external batteries in back. But sometimes i forget i have to press the button on the battery to turn on the usb power. Also i think i read from others that a cig lighter adapter can put a whole bunch of noise into the gopro mic, i'm hoping the external battery is cleaner.

I have a NFlightCam Plus which I use a lot during solo and family flights. As for flight training, I've used it during a checkout flight in a new plane (three flights), as well as during my Tailwheel training flights and introductory aerobatics. Reviewing those flights with audio after each lesson helped me tremendously! Especially the TW lessons.:yes:

I mounted the camera on the overhead canopy of the Super Decathlon, which was the perfect location. What an invaluable tool for a student pilot. Wish I'd had this years ago during my PPL lessons.

Oh yeah, I always ask the CFI if it is ok.
And as someone else said, turn it on and forget it. Don't allow it to become a distraction.

Last edited:
As a comparison: I regularly use video to debrief Air Force flying. It's a huge tool, and I'm glad it's finally cheap enough to make it to GA flying.

I use it to document my flights and review my landings/radio work.

You'll notice an improvement in skills overtime if you video enough flights.

My experience also.

I found it very informative to use during my training, the audio attachment is a must, you will be surprised how much you miss or don't take in from your instructor and until you can watch/listen again with out the concern
of having to fly the plane.

Now I use it just for fun, but again reviewing each flight is still a learning experience.

I used a VCR tape in the early 80's mounted on a tripod behind the seats in my C152. I had a student who had been a weather observer in WWII and he always wanted to fly. That helped him and he finally solo'ed after 70 hours. I currently use a GoPro 3 with the mic cable that my students use to review our flight after I put them up on my web site. ( http://clarityphotos.smugmug.com/Aviation/Pattern-Work-at-FDK ). I use it mostly on landings but I sometime use it during other phases of instruction. They say it helps them.

Back