USB flashdrive

Why do some of these 32gB sticks cost more than a 64gB?

Well, I suppose the sellers are pricing them based to a large extent on how much they paid for them. Reasons for differences in price in general, however, include speed, reputation of the company and individual product, features, and style.

What are these 128gB stix with "Memory Faulty"? Nothing mentioned in the text of the one I clicked on, includes a 128gB guarantee.

Beats me. The seller appears to be from China and has no feedback at all. Maybe their command of English is less-than-wonderful?

-Rich

If we get to guess:

I was thinking price also depends on timing the purchase. The current biggest commands a premium, when the next size comes out the whole equation changes. So Rich's probably right.

As far as the "memory faulty, guarantee 128G thing". Just a WAG but all large memory chips tend to have some bad cells. During Q/C these are mapped out in the packaging rather than discard the chip. Perhaps these things are the next level down where they made it through that part and map out "bad sectors" during format.

If that's the case it is also customary to make the chip a bit bigger than advertised to allow this to be done.

Thanks
Is there such a thing as a low profile stick?
I find that most are 2" long and easily torqued, risking damage to stick or usb port. I envision something in the shape of a T, with the top of the T flush to the computer case, the vertical part in the USB receptacle.

Thanks
Is there such a thing as a low profile stick?
I find that most are 2" long and easily torqued, risking damage to stick or usb port. I envision something in the shape of a T, with the top of the T flush to the computer case, the vertical part in the USB receptacle.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/06/24/buffalo.ups.flash.capacity/

You seem to have to sacrifice memory for that option

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/buffalo-16gb-5mm-thumbkey.html

Last edited:
Sometimes the faster ones are more expensive. Some don't tell you the usb speed is the older 1.1 specs. (read as slower) For what we use them for (storage) it really doesn't make that much of a difference unless you're copying a 3gb virtual drive and want to go home. :incazzato: The SD cards are similar in pricing, but at least the majority still list the 'class' speed.

You could also get a usb extension cord to plug it in, although some usb cord connectors s I've seen are almost as long as the drive itself. A quick search shows about $2.50 shipped for an extension cord.

You could also get a hub and move the flash drive away from the case. A friend of mine has a couple of daisy chained hubs that seems to work well. You should note that I've found some devices that do not work on hubs at all.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with the cheap ebay flashdrives. I've bought 4 and returned all of them as failing to meet published specs. There seems to be a big problem with counterfeit drives in this segment of the market. The only USB flash drives I've bought and been satisfied with have been from reputable, established electronics resellers. None of the heavily discounted drives I've gotten from ebay sources have been satisfactory. YMMV.

If you buy severely discounted drives off ebay, be sure to use a payment method that offers a path to get your money back when the drive turns out to be something far less than what you expect.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with the cheap ebay flashdrives. I've bought 4 and returned all of them as failing to meet published specs. There seems to be a big problem with counterfeit drives in this segment of the market. The only USB flash drives I've bought and been satisfied with have been from reputable, established electronics resellers. None of the heavily discounted drives I've gotten from ebay sources have been satisfactory. YMMV.

If you buy severely discounted drives off ebay, be sure to use a payment method that offers a path to get your money back when the drive turns out to be something far less than what you expect.

You can get decent, el-cheapo flash drives from MicroCenter, branded under their own name. I use them for non-critical purposes, like distributing pictures of family functions to family members. I used to use CDRs, but some of the family now have mini laptops with no optical drives (which I think is retarded, by the way, but no one asked me for my opinion).

-Rich

Back