USAIG and BasicMed

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
Does anyone know their position on this?

I just received my insurance renewal proposal yesterday. Under "Pilot Requirements" it lists that I must have a "current and valid medical". I believe this is new, as my old policy with them does not specifically list a medical certificate as a requirement; I believe it only says that I must be FAR-compliant.

Unless "current and valid medical" includes a BasicMed signoff, this makes me wonder if it wasn't added specifically to exclude coverage for pilots flying under BasicMed. (The proposal DOES say "medical" and NOT "medical certificate".) Based on what I have read lately, here and on the Red Board, they would be in an extreme minority among other carriers if they did this, but that's no guarantee of anything.

My agent has no idea what their position on BasicMed is, but has promised to investigate and get back to me.

I was just wondering if anyone who is insured through them has specifically asked them about this.

Okay, I just searched my hard drive and found two previous renewal proposals from USAIG; they both say exactly the same thing, using the same wording. So apparently this isn't anything new, and the only question is whether they mean "medical certificate" when they say "medical". I guess I will have to wait and see what my agent finds out.

USAIG can rot in farging hell for all I care. The corksoaking bastages convinced USAA to dump all their aviation policy holders on them and then within a few years turned around and dumped them without a never you mind Not a reputable firm in any manner. There are darned few times I have unkind things to say about USAA, but they sold out their GA customers on these iceholes.

USAIG sent an eblast on this subject last week. It's not letting me post a link because I'm new here, but if you go to their website and click on Newsroom and then What's New you can find information posted in February 2017 on this topic.

USAIG sent an eblast on this subject last week. It's not letting me post a link because I'm new here, but if you go to their website and click on Newsroom and then What's New you can find information posted in February 2017 on this topic.
All that page has are the details from the FAA. I didn't notice anything relating to USAIG's policies.

Sorry, like I said I'm new and they won't let me include links. This is the text from the eblast:

Medical Certification of Small Aircraft Pilots (BasicMed)

On July 15, 2016, Congress passed the BasicMed legislation. Effective 05/01/17, the FAA regulations will be in force.
If you are a USAIG policyholder whose operation qualifies for BasicMed, and you decide to fly under those regulations, rest assured that your USAIG policy does not need to be altered.
If you are not a USAIG customer and have concerns about coverage, ask your broker for a quote from USAIG.

All that page has are the details from the FAA. I didn't notice anything relating to USAIG's policies.

Sorry, like I said I'm new and they won't let me include links. This is the text from the eblast:

On July 15, 2016, Congress passed the BasicMed legislation. Effective 05/01/17, the FAA regulations will be in force.
If you are a USAIG policyholder whose operation qualifies for BasicMed, and you decide to fly under those regulations, rest assured that your USAIG policy does not need to be altered.
If you are not a USAIG customer and have concerns about coverage, ask your broker for a quote from USAIG.
Thanks, missed it. Too early in thr morning.

USAIG can rot in farging hell for all I care. The corksoaking bastages convinced USAA to dump all their aviation policy holders on them and then within a few years turned around and dumped them without a never you mind Not a reputable firm in any manner. There are darned few times I have unkind things to say about USAA, but they sold out their GA customers on these iceholes.

As a 30 year plus USAA member I have to tell you that for anything other than car insurance they're usually not that good. It's sad to say but it's true. Where I live in coastal Florida they won't even offer me homeowners insurance.

They'll write me homeowner's insurance here and they are very responsive. My wife was on the phone to make a claim and while she was still talking to the USAA rep, my cell phone rang and it was the emergency response contractor that they'd apparently dispatched via computer.

OK, this must be info that is only in the eblast, since it does not seem to be on USAIG's site, at least, not where you said to look. I found only what @murphey said: links to FAA documentation.

But in any case, taking your word for it, this is very cool. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Really, interesting. I used them for the Mooney before the Jab. One NIM claim, ramp rash. No issues.
There were a lot of Navion guys with USAA/USAIG insurance. USAIG pretty much dropped the lot for no justifiable reason other than we were flying old aircraft. No amount of arguing that most of the systems were in common with other aircraft and the parts that were not that hard to find both the "factory" (such that is is) is still there and there is a large secondary market. Couple that with the fact that Navions are a bit more stout that your average plane to begin with. Couldn't convince them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back