USAF plans to restrict airspace for RPA training

B2Soar

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
B2Soar
RPA(remotely piloted aircraft) such as Predators and Global Hawks. This will be in my "front yard". A detailed impact study and proposal can be found at www.grandforksuaseis.com/ .

I understand and support the need for this training and the airspace required for it. I have heard or read that this would be the first US airspace to be restricted for RPA training and could become a model for future restrictions. Comments on the proposal will be accepted until March 1.

They are planning for most restricted airspace floors to be at 6000' msl. Field elevation in the area is 1500'-1600' msl so that leaves about 4500' for GA to operate in. I would much prefer that they set the floor at 10000' msl. According to the military channel, cameras on the RPAs can read license plates from 50000' up. To decrease chances of detection and possible shoot down, higher would be better. Why should they need to mess around below 10000' msl? I think 8500' for GA and 40000' plus for the USAF should be a pretty fair sharing of airspace. Looking for other opinions?

Rick

I have not had a chance to read all of the EIS documents.

The bigger issue will not be the "floor" of the airspace in the MOAs or expanded restricted areas.. but the corridors they plan to use for get from KRDR to the MOAs.

TCAS or TIS would be great for the average GA pilot flying near those areas.

I was stationed at Grand Forks AFB during my "B-1" days.. it will be interesting to see how the UAS will handle the icing and winter weather.

I have not had a chance to read all of the EIS documents.

The bigger issue will not be the "floor" of the airspace in the MOAs or expanded restricted areas.. but the corridors they plan to use for get from KRDR to the MOAs.

TCAS or TIS would be great for the average GA pilot flying near those areas.

I was stationed at Grand Forks AFB during my "B-1" days.. it will be interesting to see how the UAS will handle the icing and winter weather.

Why? The corridors will be restricted areas.

Way of the future, soon coming to airspace near you. Sometimes I really, really hate being right.

USAF will need one or more of those corridors depending on which alternative plan they go with. I am in favor of them restricting all three and the areas in both MOAs. This would alow them the maximum flexibility and space to train in. If they went with a 10000' floor I would not be impacted nearly as much.

Rick

Back