USAF Pilot Eligibility

tlocurto

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tony Locurto
I am very interested in being a pilot for the Air Force, however, I have a history of epilepsy. My last seizure was when I was 4 years old. I am just wondering if I still have a chance of becoming a pilot.

I'm not sure about Air Force specifics (my brother in law was a flight physician for the USAF, so I can ask him specifics when I see him later if need be), but I found this statement from an Army document: http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/download/militaryflight.pdf

Overall Health: Must be in good health and pass a medical exam. Certain diseases or conditions, suchas diabetes, severe allergies, epilepsy, alcoholism, and drug addiction, may exclude persons from enlistment.

Taken from the internal current position document:

Don't know about USAF, but for civil, "An applicant with the diagnosis of epilepsy must be seizure-free for 10 years and off medication for at least the last three years. Single seizure: if the even was a documented "febrile" seizure occuring between the ages of three (3) months and five (5) years, no evaluation is required.

If the single seizure was unprovoked and ther is no satisfactory medical explanation of the cuase, the usual recovery period is four(4) years. The individual must be off all anticonvulsant medication for at least the alst 2 years."

PS, to ALL: Have re-enabled PMs. Waldo has been quiet.

I spoke with my brother in law about this; unfortunately he said that if the epilepsy was in your reported medical history, it would be a disqualifying condition. He did say that there was, technically, a way to still be approved, but he also said that realistically that never happens.

First of all thank you for replying to this thread.

Challenged-what is that other way to be approved? if you don't mind

I would go with what Dr Bruce said.

If your last episode was at age 4, do you still take meds? How old are you now?
The AF Pilot physical is slightly more stringent than the FAA Class I.
The best answer would be from an AF Flight Surgeon.

Dr. Bruce- Right now I'm going out for my private pilots license and I am going to have an EEG done so that, hopefully, it comes back normal and I can pass my medical. But my last episode was in 1998 and I stopped medication in 2000; I am now 17. Do you think I still have a shot at my private at least?

Tony, from Dr. C's last post it would seem you've an excellent chance at an FAA medical. I'll let him tell you this, though.

I think you're best bet military-wise is to talk directly to a USAF flight surgeon. I wouldn't even trust a recruiter, although you might be able, through a recruiter, to find a doc. There are AME's that do "double-duty"; one of these might be ideal. DON'T fill out any forms, though, either at the recruiter or the doctor's office. Indeed, your questions can be answered over the phone, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a current Air Force flight surgeon, and a history of seizures of any kind is disqualifying. It might be possible to get a waiver, but likely this would take an expensive and extensive evaluation by a neurologist as well as other signicant challenges. Unfortunately, if you are not already in the Air Force, you would have to pay for all of this on your own.

The requirements for an Air Force flying class I exam are much more stringent than a civilian FAA class III exam.

If you want to try to read this yourself or show it to your AME, the reference is AFI48-123 under the section for requirements for enlistment, and the Air Force Waiver Guide. If you are still 17, you will of course need a college degree prior to going into flight screening.

However, according to the waiver guide, the Air Force has never approved a waiver application for a seizure disorder, but anything is possible. Given the pool of otherwise qualified applicants, the likelihood of getting a waiver is probably not too high. Good luck otherwise.

How are they gonna know if you DON'T SAY ANYTHING about it ? I wouldn't let something that happened when I was four friggin years old stand in the way of getting the BEST aviation education in the world for free !

How are they gonna know if you DON'T SAY ANYTHING about it ? I wouldn't let something that happened when I was four friggin years old stand in the way of getting the BEST aviation education in the world for free !

Really!! Great way to start a career as an officer in the armed forces, deliberately hiding a known disqualifying medical condition. No way I'd have confidence in anyone to do the right thing if they can't even get the basics right. Don't hide it, it'll only hurt more in the long run.

Brian

Last edited:
I take it you are from the generation "what do I have to mark to get the result I want?"

At least our federales, ALL branches, will make you wish to j__us that you had not done so; it may take a lonngggg time but they will.

"Is it okay if I lie?"
"Yes, so long as you don't get caught".

Sigh.

What Bruce said.

I was unqualified for military flying and later for a job as a trainman because of simple, perfectly corrected nearsightedness. We play by the rules, however stupid and unfair they seem to be. Life will still deal you a full hand and a chance to fly.

What do you expect from a guy that takes Eclairs out of the trash can to eat?

:D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back