USA, USA, USA...Hockey

We were watching the game live when the network switched to a fluff piece about the foods of Sochi. Reminded me why I hate US Olympic coverage so much.

USA-Canada

Women's hockey gold medal game - today, noon eastern
Men semifinals - Friday, noon eastern

NBC has the broadcast rights. You'll have to check your local listings to see if they'll be on NBC or NBCSN (cable sports network).

edit: Best I can find - today's game will be NBC, and tomorrow's will be NBCSN.

Last edited:
This is killing me...... Great game though...

The slashing penalty in the OT was a gift. Refs won, Canada gets a pass, and the USA once again has to face two opponents on the ice.

Shoot, missed it. Judging from the long faces, USA lost.
There are no tears in hockey.

Chicks.

1939700_10152043844613264_1715249113_n.jpg

Congrats to my native land in the hockey win. I'm Canadian by birth, American by choice....

Congrats to my native land in the hockey win. I'm Canadian by birth, American by choice....

Funny, I'm the other way around (somewhat) Canadian by Birth, Grew up in the USA, chose Canada when decision time came around.

The slashing penalty in the OT was a gift. Refs won, Canada gets a pass, and the USA once again has to face two opponents on the ice.

Your own damned fault. The referee was a Brit, and perhaps they're still holding a grudge from when you kicked them out back in the 1700s...:D

Your own damned fault. The referee was a Brit, and perhaps they're still holding a grudge from when you kicked them out back in the 1700s...:D

I think the whole crew was Czech? It was just one data point in a well fought game, but it did open things up. Of course, if the US had scored on the empty net, we could blame the linesman(person).

Now that is funny....the one thing I say about Canada, is that Canada used their minds not their might in booting the Brits out....

At least it was nice of us to train the majority of the Canadian players in our US colleges.

Facts please.

Whoa, that's gonna be a lot of work. I gotta head for the airport. Maybe I'll get back to you.

Found it. 6 CA players went to US colleges. FWIW, all the Canadian goals were scored by players who went to US colleges. Weird. Looks like all the US trained players had a lot of minutes except the goalie - eh?

<edit: it was not a majority, just the important ones>

Last edited:
Just to be fair, zero US players trained in Canada in this game. That was z-e-r-o.

Hockey's not so much a "college" trained sport.

Most NHLers don't go through colleges at all. They come up through the junior ranks.

100% of players on both women's Oly teams went to college. Doncha noh.

I've been avoiding this thread due to spoilers, as I've been DVRing games.

All I hope for is that the USA wins tomorrow and wins the gold, because I think Patrick Kane won't be able to handle seeing Jonathan Toews' Blackhawks locker with two gold medals hanging in it. He was a little snot about getting the silver four years ago, and I don't need a pouting Patrick Kane in the post-Olympic run for Lord Stanley's Cup.

Yes, he's not my favorite Blackhawk.

Just to be fair, zero US players trained in Canada in this game. That was z-e-r-o.

That would be wrong. Do your research.

And by the way, 6 out of 25 players is not a majority...(and Yes I see your edit)..however, most people in a discussion (should) check facts first, then mouth off.

For my American friends, I am not saying the US players are not every bit as good as Canada, in fact, I have a lot of them on my dream team. I am looking forward to tomorrow's game, I know it's going to be a doosie.

Last edited:
That would be wrong. Do your research.

And by the way, 6 out of 25 players is not a majority...(and Yes I see your edit)..however, most people in a discussion (should) check facts first, then mouth off.

For my American friends, I am not saying the US players are not every bit as good as Canada, in fact, I have a lot of them on my dream team. I am looking forward to tomorrow's game, I know it's going to be a doosie.

Most people would see a surgeon and have that stick removed. I realize it is hockey but really...

What time is USA v Canada today? I heard on the radio that it starts at 10:30 CST but the NBC Olympic site sucks and I can't get the scoop on the exact start of the game. I'm going to try to hit a sports bar to catch the third period over lunch.

What time is USA v Canada today? I heard on the radio that it starts at 10:30 CST but the NBC Olympic site sucks and I can't get the scoop on the exact start of the game. I'm going to try to hit a sports bar to catch the third period over lunch.

Noon Eastern, so 11 central. They may have a pre-game start at 10:30 central.

Winner plays Sweden for the Gold.

Loser plays Finland and has to keep Bieber.

Noon Eastern, so 11 central. They may have a pre-game start at 10:30 central.

Winner plays Sweden for the Gold.

Loser plays Finland and has to keep Bieber.

The stakes are high, no doubt about it. Not only would the loser have to take Bieber, but could walk away without even a bronze medal. Finland is no pushover.

Quick is putting up some stops today. Puck looks to be the size of a watermelon to him. Canada must lead in shots on goal...

Back