US customs fees for GA <12,500lbs

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Anyone know if the US customs fees for inbound ASEL <12,500lbs is a fixed fee or varies depending upon the airport? Anything I’ve seen online varied from free to ~$200, but it does all seem outdated. Wondering if it makes sense to “shop” airports for a cheaper customs fee, if I can save $200 and make a stop earlier and add fuel that would save quite a bit by avoiding the customs fee and filling up fuel on the Canadian side. My airport charges almost $200 but another airport in Detroit area said $0 for <12,500lbs. Anyone know how this works?

Customs phone number said they don’t have any information on fees, it is post billed via mail. Called the Airport and they gave a phone number for Customs. So I’m in a circle here, Google isn’t solving the question.

Yes I am aware of the decal fee, but I believe there is a clearance fee for each time in addition to the annual customs decal fee.

I've flown into three different airports from Mexico, including KSAT, and never had a customs fee.

Never had a customs fee when coming from Canada. From what I know, some CBP offices that aren’t staffed normally will charge and those that are staffed will charge if you arrive outside of office hours, but you should be able to find out about it here https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports.

Flew in from Canada a few times, as long as you are arriving at a staffed Port of Entry within their regular business hours there is no fee. Just make sure to have the CBP Decal or receipt that you purchased the decal. Otherwise pretty much a non event most cases.

I think it really only matter if it’s part 91 or 135/121.

Additional fees apply if you use a User Fee Airport, or if you enter at an international airport outside of normal Customs hours.

Here is the list of user fee airports:
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-19/chapter-I/part-122/subpart-B/section-122.15

If the airport is not on this list, your only user fee is the annual decal, currently $32.62.

Not surprising you can’t get an accurate answer from the Customs service.

Jon

Additional fees apply if you use a User Fee Airport, or if you enter at an international airport outside of normal Customs hours.

Here is the list of user fee airports:
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-19/chapter-I/part-122/subpart-B/section-122.15

If the airport is not on this list, your only user fee is the annual decal, currently $32.62.

Not surprising you can’t get an accurate answer from the Customs service.

Jon

Waukegan was showing something like almost $200 for under 12,500lbs. That’s why I was trying to find alternatives. Is there a list of no user fee airports? My options were basically Waukegan, Oakland County and Willow Run. UGN, PTK, YIP. All 3 are “user fee” airports. If I can go elsewhere to get entry clearance and save $200 then I’d do that.

Waukegan was showing something like almost $200 for under 12,500lbs. That’s why I was trying to find alternatives. Is there a list of no user fee airports? My options were basically Waukegan, Oakland County and Willow Run. UGN, PTK, YIP. All 3 are “user fee” airports. If I can go elsewhere to get entry clearance and save $200 then I’d do that.

That’s likely because a customs officer would have to travel a significant distance to all those airports. Why are you wanting to come so far into the US before clearing customs?

Find an airport of entry adjacent to a customs bridge for entry into the US. If you’re wanting to use YIP or PTK what’s wrong with DET or PHN?

That’s likely because a customs officer would have to travel a significant distance to all those airports. Why are you wanting to come so far into the US before clearing customs?

Find an airport of entry adjacent to a customs bridge for entry into the US. If you’re wanting to use YIP or PTK what’s wrong with DET or PHN?

UGN has a customs building and stationed officer on site during business hours.

I can use DET, just trying to find one, doesn’t really matter which airport it is as long as it’s somewhat on the way between Canada and Chicago area.

I can use DET, just trying to find one, doesn’t really matter which airport it is as long as it’s somewhat on the way between Canada and Chicago area.

From the outside perspective it seems like you’re trying to make this more difficult than necessary and deliberately picking airports that would be an inconvenience for the CBP, hence the fees. Pick one ON the border. There are plenty depending on where you’re wanting to cross. :)

From the outside perspective it seems like you’re trying to make this more difficult than necessary and deliberately picking airports that would be an inconvenience for the CBP, hence the fees. Pick one ON the border. There are plenty depending on where you’re wanting to cross. :)

How is it inconvenient if CBP have a staffed office there? I was just looking at airports I know or have flown to and am familiar with. Not opposed to others or closer to the boarder. I’ll have a look.

DET and PHN both say “us user fee airport” on foreflight in the remarks section. I was told the fee gets billed by mail, maybe they never sent it to the other posters or perhaps it is a part 91 vs part 135 thing. Still don’t have the answer I’m looking for.

How is it inconvenient if CBP have a staffed office there? I was just looking at airports I know or have flown to and am familiar with. Not opposed to others or closer to the boarder. I’ll have a look.

Id have to investigate and see what the purpose of them being there is for to comment. My guess is that waiting for you to show up is not their primary job, hence the inconvenience fee.

In my experience, the airports of entry along the border are not continuously staffed so when you call in to make an appointment they want to know when you’re planning to arrive so they can send someone to the airport to meet you. I’ve been through both PHN and DET and I don’t remember getting a bill.

Did you ever get an answer? I may have a trip upcoming and am starting to research "best ports of entry" on the US side, outbound from Toronto either westbound or southbound or southwest-bound.

I did not get an answer, I did hear that custom fees were billed later by mail, if applicable. Nothing else.

It could be the FBO charging the fee. I just got charged $50 at APF by the FBO, not customs.

You did get an answer with link to a list of user fee airports. These airports will charge you.
Other airports do not have a Customs charge unless overtime.
Call the port you think you want and ask: "Is this a Customs user fee airport?" The list is subject to change.
Jon

Back