US-Canada Reciprocity

Flying_Nun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying_Nun
I've read the FARs and CARs and can't say that I'm any wiser. So here's a hypothetical scenario:

Let's say I move to Canada for work. This implies several years of living there. Could I fly on my US certificate or would I need a Canadian issued one? Now, suppose I go and get instrumented rated while I'm there. When I move back to the US is just a matter of applying to have the rating transferred to my US certificate?

I've read the FARs and CARs and can't say that I'm any wiser. So here's a hypothetical scenario:

Let's say I move to Canada for work. This implies several years of living there. Could I fly on my US certificate or would I need a Canadian issued one? Now, suppose I go and get instrumented rated while I'm there. When I move back to the US is just a matter of applying to have the rating transferred to my US certificate?
Are you flying a US or Canadian registered airplane? Will you get a Canadian pilot certificate based on your US certificate, or get a full Canadian pilot certificate? Will you get your IR on your US pilot certificate or the Canadian one? Lots of possibilities depending on your answers.

Are you flying a US or Canadian registered airplane? Being a renter, I'd say Canadian registered.

Will you get a Canadian pilot certificate based on your US certificate, or get a full Canadian pilot certificate? Canadian based on US

Will you get your IR on your US pilot certificate or the Canadian one? Not sure

If I remember correctly (IIRC), your certificate must match the country the aircraft is registered in. So to rent a Canadian registered aircraft, you will need to get a Canadian certificate based on your US certificate.

We have the same issue with visiting glider pilots at our club. If they do not have a valid US certificate based on their home country certificate, with a current US flight review (BFR) then we cannot left them solo our US registered aircraft.

If I remember correctly (IIRC), your certificate must match the country the aircraft is registered in.
Only if you're flying it in a third country. In general, with ICAO signatory countries, you can fly a Country A plane in either Country A or Country B with either a Country A or Country B license, but you cannot fly it in Country C unless the license matches the registration. I don't know for sure if there are any exceptions to the general rule for US and Canada.

I have more research to do on the other questions.

You can get a full Canadian certificate based on your US one if you want, simply by doing the written exam for the Canadian (no flight test required).

This is a full certificate no a "issued on the basis of" one that you get with most countries. The same privilege applies in reverse too.

Back