US Army Production Film from 1966

TH-55; a real solo. Its accident rate reflects the dangers of training then compared to now. Of course a lot more guys going thru the program back then as well.

Always amazes me that the Army alone lost over 5,000 helos in Nam. I don't even think we have that many total helos in the Army today.

Completely different program today. Acceptance rates hovering around 40 % last board. More sim time, less flight time. Taken what used to be a 9 month program into an 18 month program. With the introduction of the LUH, won't be long before autos to the ground will be a lost art. The old adage of "doing more with less" is in full effect in Army Aviation right.

won't be long before autos to the ground will be a lost art.

I still have never done one to the ground. In rentals they won't let you. And when I had a partnership I didn't want to risk it, solely because I'd never done it. Always terminated at a flare.

I still have never done one to the ground. In rentals they won't let you. And when I had a partnership I didn't want to risk it, solely because I'd never done it. Always terminated at a flare.

While I enjoyed doing them to the ground, I don't necessarily believe it's something that needs to be taught today. In a soon to be all (regular) Army twin fleet, I suppose those who make the big bucks believe that training dual engine failure doesn't warrant the risk. That and the wear and tear that would occur on essentially brand new LUH-72s won't make economic sense. Some say there's still the need to teach it because of the possibility of tail rotor failure. Some say terminate with power teaches bad habits. I guess only time will tell.

Back